Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 61 [2] , given: 7

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 22:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

82% (02:10) correct 18% (01:32) wrong based on 93 sessions
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply. Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994. Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?

A. In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.
B. In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
C. Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
D. People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.
E. People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 7

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 22:49
I am confused between A and E....

Can somebody explain ??

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 17:08
shikhar wrote:
I am confused between A and E....

Can somebody explain ??

Should be E.
A is wrong because VideoRama is a part of Centerville too.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 40

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 20:22
This post received
KUDOS
I choose A.

Brad's argument starts with an inherent belief that the reason presented by Jennifer is not enough. He backs it with data about the number of videos sold by Videorama. 'A' most seriously weakens Brad's argument as it shows that the impact felt by the other Video Rental outlets is more so due to the number of videos rented out by VIdeorama as opposed to the number of videos sold.

KUDOS-ing does'nt cost you anything, but might just make someone's day!!!

"Musings of a Muddled Muggle Mind"
http://felinesmile.blogspot.in/
...comments Welcome :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 23:36
I agree with charlemagne. The conclusion by Brad states sales but the argument is about rentals. This leaves only A as the option
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 297

Kudos [?]: 458 [4] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 07:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hopefully, I can clear up any doubt between (A) and (E) :).

We need to weaken Brad's objection, which states that Videorama only sold 4,000 videos. Therefore, that number is not enough to account for the 10,000 fewer videos that the video rental outlets rented out in 1994 vs. 1993.

(A) is tempting because it is easy to think that Brad is only focusing on the number of videos Videorama sold not on the number it rented. Even then, had Videorama rented 5,000 videos that doesn't quite add up to 10,000. (A) therefore is not the 'best answer.'

(E) Brad's objection focuses on the number of videos bought at Videorama. His argument is that number alone cannot account for the 10,000. However (E) directly counters Brad's argument by offering an explanation for how 4,000 can account for the 10,000: friends frequently lend videos they own to other friends. For instance, if one video is loaned 5 times that is 5 fewer people who will rent that video from the other Centerville video stores. THE ANSWER

Hope that helps :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 40

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 23:51
naveenhv wrote:
I agree with charlemagne. The conclusion by Brad states sales but the argument is about rentals. This leaves only A as the option

Thanks for the vote of confidence dude...wonder if Chris' argument is definitive though?

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 297

Kudos [?]: 458 [3] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 06:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Let me do a better job of showing why (A) is not the answer. In doing so, I'll address Charlemagne original explanation.

Sold videos and rented videos are not discrete in terms of who watches the videos. Think of it this way, if I go over to my friend's house and watch a movie, it doesn't matter whether he bought the video or rented the video. I most likely will not rent the movie myself (I've already seen it).

Therefore the argument is not "due to the number of videos rented out by Videorama as opposed to the number of videos sold", but rather to why fewer people are renting videos from Videorama in the first place. 'Sold videos' can thus have a major impact on whether someone rents from Videorama. If I know my buddy Jake bought a cheap copy of Avatar from Videorama, then I am less likely to run down there and rent Avatar. As (E) says, friends are likely to loan videos. I ask Jake he loans me his copy: one fewer person to rent Avatar for Videorama.

Hope that was clearer :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 40

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 18:56
ChrisLele wrote:
Let me do a better job of showing why (A) is not the answer. In doing so, I'll address Charlemagne original explanation.

Sold videos and rented videos are not discrete in terms of who watches the videos. Think of it this way, if I go over to my friend's house and watch a movie, it doesn't matter whether he bought the video or rented the video. I most likely will not rent the movie myself (I've already seen it).

Therefore the argument is not "due to the number of videos rented out by Videorama as opposed to the number of videos sold", but rather to why fewer people are renting videos from Videorama in the first place. 'Sold videos' can thus have a major impact on whether someone rents from Videorama. If I know my buddy Jake bought a cheap copy of Avatar from Videorama, then I am less likely to run down there and rent Avatar. As (E) says, friends are likely to loan videos. I ask Jake he loans me his copy: one fewer person to rent Avatar for Videorama.

Hope that was clearer :).

Hmm...I do understand why E is a good answer....and I also get the whole lending out the bought/rented DVDs stuff..

But could you please explain how option E is a 'better' answer than option 'A'?

Thanks much!

GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 19:12
Has to be (E)

If people who own videos lend it to friends , then it's unlikely that "these" friends would go and rent the video when they can get it for free.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 09:02
I got what Chris is trying to mention but doesnt it then supports Brad's statement ?? Brad clearly says that "there must be another explanation" and hence friend lending videos to friends is the "another explanation"....... so E supports Brad's statement...
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
thank you expert Christopher Lee for explanation of A

Can I name choice A "RBI" , "relevant but inconclusive". This choice is particularly popular on Assumption question. RBI answer choice offer a very attractive logic but not strong enough to be the correct answer on assumption and strengthen/weaken question.

being ready to see this type of incorrect anwer choice makes us more confident when we see 2 attractive choices. I am looking for 2 attract answer choice in all og questions.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Operations

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 23:36
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply. Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994. Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?

A. In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold. ( it may not be correct as number may be from 4001 onwards ..So We cant say whether it weaken the argument or strengthen the argument)
B. In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville. (Out of Scope)
C. Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.(Out of Scope)( its not inlign with the argument conclusion)
D. People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.(Out of Scope)
E. People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends. ( correct . as it cleary present a doubt on the argument )
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 08:24
Answer must be E.

Video rentals in ENTIRE AREA decreased by 10,000. If 4,000 is attributed to purchase instead of rent, there is still a 6,000 gap.

A is absolutely incorrect. It does not matter that Videorama rented out more than it has sold. The rental figures were down across the entire area. Whatever Videorama had rented out were therefore already included in the rental figures. You are still dealing with a 6,000 video gap.

Only explanation is E. People who bought movies, lent them to friends. This impacted overall rental figures. Since Videorama seems to be the only outlet which has had direct impact on bought movies, this would weaken the argument.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 306

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 19:56
shikhar wrote:

B. In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
C. Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
D. People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.

I would like to bring the light upon option (A). as most of the members are getting confused.

Agenda is Decline in the number of Video Rentals of a area and new store is also in the area so according to option A Video rama has rented 4001 videos it would increase the Video rentals in the area.Idea behind argument is that how 4000 videos sold contribute to the figure 10000 , which is explained as in (E).

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1238

Kudos [?]: 3421 [2] , given: 183

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shikhar wrote:

Hi,

The discussion so far has been very good.

The only confusion visible is between options A and E.

Let's first follow our standard approach for the answer:

Brad's argument is that opening of Videorama could not be the explanation for decline in rentals since Videorama sold only 4000 videos against a total decline of 10,000 video rentals.

Prethinking Assumption:

Now, if we try to prethink the assumption in Brad's argument, it looks like this: one video sold should lead to a decline of one (nearly) video rental.

Prethinking Weakener:

Now, a weakener is something which weakens the assumption. Thus, a weakener could be like:
Some movies are rented more than once to the same person in a year. (If this is true, then people who buy these videos will not rent. Thus, every purchase would lead to twice or thrice the amount of decline in rentals)

Other weakener could be the one stated in option E. This statement means that every video purchase should lead to multiple times decline in the number of video rentals.

Therefore, E is the correct answer choice.

Now, coming to option A, please note that it is clearly stated the Videorama is located in the area. Thus, any video rentals by Videorama are counted in the figure for the area. Therefore, the number of video rentals by Videorama does not affect Brad's argument.

Hope this helps :)

Critical Reasoning questions are also asked in the new IR section of GMAT. Click on the below image to access a critical reasoning IR question with detailed approach to such questions.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 07:21
first I chose A ....But I was so wrong, thanks for the wonderful explaination...kudos to all..:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 75

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 11:27

A. In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold. Case 1: No. of Videorama rented out CD can be 4001 (or anything less than 6000. This implies still thier is a Gap of 10000 - 8001 = 1999. Case 2: No. of Videorama rented out CD can be > 6000. Then it satisfies the condition.

E. People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends. No. of loan at least = 2..4000 * 2= 8000. Therefore , no of people who watched the video = 4000 (owner) + 8000 (borrower) = 12000

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 03:14
thank you e gmat expert for detail posting. we wish e gmat post more on this forum and beatthegmat forum. secifically, on cr we like the expert posting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 9

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 04:25
shikhar wrote:
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply. Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?

Premise of the argument: "Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994." but "the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals"
Conclusion of the argument: The decline in rentals was probably not due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama

We need to weaken the above argument. Choice E weakens the premise that since it says that though there is a gap of 6000 videos to be accounted for, the gap which represents videos that were not bought can be explained by the fact that they were borrowed from friends who had bought them. That fills the gap and weakens Brad's premise.

Choice A seems close because if videorama handled say, 5000 rentals then the total number of videos handled by videorama becomes 5000+4000 which is 9000. That seems to only strengthen Jennifers argument that the decrease was probably almost entirely due to videorama. But the decline in rental is after including the rentals handled by videorama. So if as in choice A if videorama handled 5000 rentals, the others should have handled 15,000 rentals less. So it doesn't quite weaken Brad's argument as E does because there would be still the gap of 6000..

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2012, 04:25