It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 17:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 12

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2011, 06:46
gautrang wrote:
I found this one, it is pretty good in a way.

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply.

Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?

(A) In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.
(B) In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
(C) Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
(D) People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.
(E) People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.

# of Videos rented in 1993 - # of Videos rented in 1994 = 10000
Videos sold in 1994 = 4000
Remaining 10000 - 4000 = 6000
6000 must be compensated in some way
Option E says videos owned by users, who probably bought 4000 videos from VideoRama, were lent, probably 6000.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 18

WE 1: 2.5 yrs in manufacturing
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2011, 20:27
gautrang wrote:
I found this one, it is pretty good in a way.

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply.

Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?

(A) In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.
(B) In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
(C) Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
(D) People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.
(E) People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.

I still dont get it.
Could someone please clarify.

Brad says that IT IS NOT VIDEORAMA'S FAULT.
To weaken Brad's objection, we need to prove that it is Videorama's fault.

Am i wrong in understanding the question?
Would appreciate any explanation.

ARISE AWAKE AND REST NOT UNTIL THE GOAL IS ACHIEVED

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2011, 18:49
I would go with Choice E since it gives an alternate reason to weaken Brad's statement.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 25

Schools: Foster '17 (A)

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2011, 11:26
hey..

The arguement compares rentals - that were less in 1994 than 1993.. with sale of videos by videorama..

so why not bridge the gap why saying videorama rented more than it sold ? - a?
similarly why not b ?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 25

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17352 [0], given: 232

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2011, 02:41
Priyanka2011 wrote:
hey..

The arguement compares rentals - that were less in 1994 than 1993.. with sale of videos by videorama..

so why not bridge the gap why saying videorama rented more than it sold ? - a?
similarly why not b ?

Responding to a pm:

The following is the gist of the argument:

Jennifer: Video rental outlets handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline was due to opening of Videorama in 1994 that sold videos cheaply.

Brad: Wrong. The decline was 10,000 rentals but Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994.

Question: Which would most seriously weaken Brad's objection?

We have to weaken Brad's objection that Videorama sold only 4000 videos whereas the decline is 10,000 videos.
What can explain that 4000 videos sold by Videorama are responsible for the decline of 10,000 in rentals? 4000 videos sold should be responsible for decline of about 4000 rentals only. But if people lend their videos to family and friends, each video sold could account for 2-3 fewer rentals. Then it is possible that 10,000 fewer people rent the videos. Therefore, (E) weakens Brad's objection and is our answer.

(A) and (B) do not provide an explanation against Brad's objection and hence are not correct.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 39

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 530 Q39 V23
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V26
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2014, 12:26
Why E? Does that mean one gives the purchased video in month of February to his friends? or does it mean that max videos were purchased in feb month and that they were only shared with friends in feb?

Am I missing something with this logic?

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 39

Expert Post
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2014, 20:49
email2vm wrote:
Why E? Does that mean one gives the purchased video in month of February to his friends? or does it mean that max videos were purchased in feb month and that they were only shared with friends in feb?

Am I missing something with this logic?

Brad says that 10,000 fewer videos were rented but the cheap sale of video rentals by Videorama cannot be responsible for this entire decline because they sold only 4000 videos. So out of these 10,000, it makes sense that 4000 people did not rent the video because they bought them instead but what about the other 6000? Why did they not rent the videos too? So Brad insists that there must be another reason too.
The explanation to Brad's comment can be that the people who buy videos, loan them out to their friends. So every video sold will decreases the number of rentals by not just one but more than one. Hence the entire 10,000 can be explained by the 4000 videos sold.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 70

Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2014, 07:12

(A) In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.......A may not weaken the Brad argument--------Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994...say it rented out 4500 videos....total 8500.... but 10,000 fewer videos were rented out in the city.....HENCE NO LINKAGE TO THIS ARGUMENT... INCORRECT

(E) People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.....4000 VIDEOS BOUGHT... SAY EACH OWNER LOANS THEM TO 2 FRIENDS..... TOTAL PEOPLE WHO WATCHED THE VIDEO(INCLUDING THE OWNER) ---12000......HENCE POSSIBLE THAT ...10,000 fewer videos were rented out in the city. CORRECT....

KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE....

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 70

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 72

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2014, 07:20
I initiallly opted A). My mistake id that i didnt read the question fully and understand. " the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply." I didnt take it on the first read.

So on seeing E) tought its irrevalant as J is saying nothing about selling only B is saying about selling which is irrevalant to the answer.

So opted A) probably weakens the answer.

Lesson learn t: Always read the question fully and thoroughly.

Regards,
Rrsnathan.

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 72

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Human Resources (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2015, 05:25
Can one of the experts please share their views on this question.

Since A is the OA - there is no point arguing - but I am not clear on whay not E? It is aperfectly good option and logically completes what the question asks for.

Thanks,
aimtoteach

Thanks,
aimtoteach

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please give Kudos if you find this post useful.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 62

Expert Post
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2015, 22:16
aimtoteach wrote:
Can one of the experts please share their views on this question.

Since A is the OA - there is no point arguing - but I am not clear on whay not E? It is aperfectly good option and logically completes what the question asks for.

Thanks,
aimtoteach

The correct answer (and the OA specified) is (E), not (A).

Check this post to see why (A) is incorrect and (E) is correct: i-found-this-one-it-is-pretty-good-in-a-way-jennifer-102563-20.html#p996473

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 559

WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 17:23
Phew! What a hair pulling question! Got it wrong at the first attempt. But, upon a closer look, I realized that the key to the right answer is understanding the argument properly.

Jennifer: It is Videorama's fault.
Brad: It is not Videorama's fault.

Question - Weaken Brad's objection. Meaning: show that it is Videorama's fault or strengthen Jennifer's stand.

I initially thought that (E) strengthen's Brad's conclusion that there must be some other explanation for fewer video rentals. However, Brad is concluding that the situation can't be linked to Videorama. That seems to be the unstated conclusion and (E) attacks that conclusion. This is why (E) is right. After the opening of Videorama, people, who bought videos, started renting out those videos to their friends.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 559

Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2017, 17:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap