Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
prodizy wrote:
Hello,

Pardon my ignorance. I can't seem to find the exact submission deadline time. Is it 5PM? 12PM? CT?

Thanks,
Prodizy

Hello,

The exact time should be in the actual application, which I cannot view, but I believe it is 11:59pm. However, my suggestion would be to play it safe and submit by 5pm :)
Either way, it is definitely Central Time.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
samp23 wrote:
anujkhatiwada wrote:
Did anybody else post on twitter or Instagram with #whyTexas? If so what did you do?

I thought that was really neat and didn't see that on any other applications that I did.

Hey! Can you (or anyone else willing to chime in) explain what the instruction re: the #whyTexas hashtag? I applied via Consortium, so I didn't see this part of the McCombs application. Thanks in advance!

I don't think that it's actually an evaluative portion of the UT application, but they ask you to share #whyTexas via twitter or instagram. There was also a link to share a blog or a linkedin profile page. I'm sure if you just tweet at them or post on IG that they would like it, it seems like more of a collection for marketing materials then an evaluative process. I just thought it was kind of cool.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.56
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Frankie808 wrote:
Hey guys, I just got my invite to interview. I'm pretty excited.

Of the options available, what would you guys recommend? I'm debating between an on campus interview and an alumni interview.

Also what should I expect during this interview?

Any help would be great! Thanks!

If you can swing it, on-campus interview is always better, especially if you haven't visited McCombs yet.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Some of you might find this useful.

https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2014/01/ ... as-austin/
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Kudos
pcsouthern wrote:
texasgirl33 wrote:
Does anyone have any idea as to when we can expect to hear back for Round 2 applicants? I know the decision notification date is April 9th, but is there a chance we'll hear back sooner? I interviewed February 9th, and I'm curious if I'll have to wait 2 months to hear anything. Any information is appreciated! Thanks!

After looking through the old R1 posts in this thread, I would be surprised if we hear anything before April. I would guess that our best case scenario would be that they release some early admit decisions around 4/4. It seems like they only notify admits early; dings and WLs usually come at the deadline.

I did notice that my status on the utdirect login page updated after interviewing to
Quote:
"Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review. Each individual graduate program sets its own schedule for reviewing application files. You should consult the graduate coordinator in the program to which you have applied to determine when decisions will be made.

As soon as a decision is made on your application, it will be posted on this page, and you will be notified by email."

but I'm not holding my breath.

Just to clarify a point - I doubt they have a pattern in which they respond to applicants. I'm a Round 1 admit and I got my email at 4:56 pm on the deadline date, while admitted students had been posting from a week earlier about getting calls etc. on this forum, followed by dinged and waitlisted, and then again admitted, dinged waitlisted (.... there was no real order). That being said, there's hope to students who haven't heard till the last moment...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
Yeah mine was a bit of a rollercoaster too. It was very informal and I was taken aback by how informal it was. Also it was "too" conversational and I was thrown off by not knowing when she was just going over my resume, making small talk, and asking legit question. I was also taken aback that the standard "tell me about yourself/your resume" wasn't the first question. I said "um" too much and at one point ironically mentioned communication as my strength by saying "I communicate a lot". I feel like I saved myself a bit by making light of that and saying "I communicate well because I have experience such as this this and that". All in all I was a bit disappointed because while I felt much better in the second half I still felt like I didn't have control.

Some questions were:

Name 3 things your coworkers would say about you?
What did you learn about yourself during the process?
What do you hope to get out of your MBA at McCombs
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Hi fellas,

My interview concluded with a 2nd Yrs student a few mins back. I totally concur with Ganesh and GMATNY86 about the roller coaster exp. My interview was something as mentioned below,

Started with small talk
Next came a shocker, so tell me, what do you wanna ask.
Walk me through my resume.
Why MBA
Short term and Long term goal
Why McCombs
Another surprising ques, if I give u 2 tickets to travel to 2 different places, which will it be and with whom?
Any ques.

My interviewer was very organized and methodical; shared his experiences with me and kept it conversational.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks!
I applied Jan 5 through Consortium. My status also still says "in review." Don't worry about that. I also know that they viewed my youtube video weeks ago yet only now decided to interview me. So basically, their process seems less predictable than we may like to think.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
BizSchoolorBust wrote:
I'm just curious, were you able to tell how many viewers from Mccombs watched your video? The reason I ask is because I had one viewer watch about a quarter of my minute-long video a few weeks back. Not sure if they already dinged me or if I should expect more views later. Thank you.

It's hard to tell with absolute certainty, but if you go to youtube analytics, you can filter by country, then state (texas), then "traffic sources" and look for Uknown--direct. This will weed out views from random youtubers. :)
I just checked now and see that I had two views from UT yesterday just before getting the invite. So I had 3 views clearly from McCombs. 2 yesterday and 1 on Feb 4.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
mishelkim wrote:
Has anyone else received an offer from another school that requires a deposit before the McCombs decision deadline? What to do...what to do...The non-refundable deposit I would have to pay is 2000 USD which, for me, is a hefty amount to turn my back on if I receive an offer from McCombs. Do you think McCombs would expedite their decision on my application if I call and ask? Or would they ding me on the spot for my audacity?

Is McCombs your first choice? If you got the admit from McCombs, will you surely let the other admit go? If it is, I would say, it wouldnt hurt to be honest with them. Either call them or write a mail explaining your situation and how you would really love to attend there, etc. What's the worse that could happen? They would probably say, " Sorry, we cant release the decision early". Atleast you would have tried. Thats what I would have done :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview with a 2nd year student through Skype, a couple of days back. It was a totally conversational interview. The interviewer was friendly, and it almost felt like that it wasnt an evaluative interview. More like, they are really trying to understand you as a candidate.
The interview lasted about 40 mins and the questions were pretty much the same what everyone has already mentioned. Nothing surprising really. I could have done better in some questions I guess, but I felt I did better than my Tepper interview.

My suggestion to anyone attending an interview in the coming weeks would be to be as calm as you can for the interview and view it as a genuine discussion rather an evaluative interview. I hope that helps! Please feel free to reach out to me in case you guys need help or have any clarifications. This forum has been very useful for me to prepare and I would love to give that back :)

Oh, and one more thing. The interviewer at the end clearly mentioned that there will be no further contact from Admissions Office until the decisions date as they have their hands full with lots of interviews and application reviews. And she told me this proactively, I didn't actually raise a question on those lines. So, more invites are going to come out. Hold on guys!

Originally posted by cbsrinivas on 28 Feb 2014, 02:19.
Last edited by cbsrinivas on 28 Feb 2014, 02:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 08-01-2012
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
GmatNY86 wrote:
Hey guys, I keep reading that McCombs calls the people it accepts. There are a couple of days during the week when I shut my phone off. I have a new phone and am still not sure how to check voice mails. Anyway, my question is do they also send an e-mail? Seems like that's the safe thing to do.

R1 admit, will be attending in the fall

I never received a call. I got an email. If they can't reach you on the phone, I'm sure they just send an email. Don't worry, they won't take your acceptance away because you didn't answer :) For those who were notified by a call, I'm not sure if they got the admit email as well. I think either way your application status will be updated and that will send you a notification by email.

For R1 applicants, the admits started to trickle in starting Dec 11th; R1 deadline was Dec 20th. It was completely random, didn't seem to be a pattern whatsoever (no pattern regarding those who interviewed on campus/alumni/skype, region, alpha order of names...nothing, it seemed to be entirely random to mess with our heads lol). Some were called, some were emailed leading up to the Dec 20th deadline, but it was very patchy. You can go back on the forum to look at the posts during that time to see what I mean.

On Dec 20th- the deadline, I got my admit email around 5pm CST. So basically, just plan to stress out the entire time, while silently cursing all the people that get admits before you haha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
AnonIsab wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
Hey guys, I keep reading that McCombs calls the people it accepts. There are a couple of days during the week when I shut my phone off. I have a new phone and am still not sure how to check voice mails. Anyway, my question is do they also send an e-mail? Seems like that's the safe thing to do.

R1 admit, will be attending in the fall :)

For R1 applicants, the admits started to trickle in starting Dec 11th; R1 deadline was Dec 20th. It was completely random, didn't seem to be a pattern whatsoever (no pattern regarding those who interviewed on campus/alumni/skype, region, alpha order of names...nothing, it seemed to be entirely random to mess with our heads lol). Some were called, some were emailed leading up to the Dec 20th deadline, but it was very patchy. You can go back on the forum to look at the posts during that time to see what I mean.

On Dec 20th- the deadline, I got my admit email around 5pm CST. So basically, just plan to stress out the entire time, while silently cursing all the people that get admits before you haha

Thanks! I finally figured out voice mail on my phone. I guess that's not something that I would bring up in an interview, I can't figure out voice mail! :lol:

I guess I can relax for now though, there's still plenty of time and I have 2 other schools before that.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
mittal wrote:
Have we realistically past the dates to receive the interview invites?

There are some interview invites yet to go out, as the admissions officers are still reviewing applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
GMAT 1: 640 Q41 V36
Send PM
Kudos
Got Accepted!!
Yesterday I got an e-mail saying that a decision was made on my application, which I thought was bad news, and when I log into the application status page I saw the letter of acceptance.
I ‘am international student, my interview was on 2/13/14 On campus, and McCombs is my only option therefore I will be there next fall =)
Best to all!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
teleste wrote:
@McCombsStudent

Are R1 Waitlisted applicants considered again in R2? If not, only after R2/R3?

Are any updates or supplemental materials to the application welcome?

On last year's forum I saw that McCombs allowed applicants to send a video response...will there be something similar this year?

@All

Anyone on WL heard anything?

/fingerscrossed

GL to all! Hook'em.

Posted from my mobile device

Waitlisted candidates can be reviewed and reconsidered at any point in the process. Please only send updates if you have a new position or expanded responsibilities or a new test score. We will likely not ask for video responses this year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I'm a R2 candidate from India. I got an admit email only yesterday. I didn't expect to hear from McCombs so much before the deadline. For the record, I had interviewed with an alum on 10-02-2014. But don't lose hope guys! Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  52   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts