Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Necessary and sufficeint Questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 67

Necessary and sufficeint Questions [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 16:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hello all

I am initiating this discussion to clear my doubt on Necessary and Sufficient questions.

Sufficient condition : This is the part of conditional statement that indicates the occurance of necessary condition.
Necessary Condition : This condition is a part of the condition statement the occurance of it is required for the sufficient condition.
Typical example:-

If you get an A+, then you must have studied

Sufficient Condition : Get an A+
Necessary condition: You must have studied.

Another example
People who drive fast are dangerous

Sufficient condition: Drive fast
Necessary condition: Dangerous

My doubt is should we consider parallel thinking in such question i.e. Should we think that A dangerous person can have several traits and driving fast is one of them.
Or When we are considering Necessary and Sufficient condition we must stick to the fact that there exists only one condition as stated in the statement.
Is it correct to say " People who are dangerous, its not necessary that they drive fast"
Justification: There may be many people who are veteran criminal but while driving drive slowly because they do not want accident.

My Query is Should we restrict ourselves to the two conditions itself when answering such question or think logically as we do on all other CR questions. If we follow the logical procedure then the the mentioned statement with justification should be correct. But if we just restrict ourselves to two events than we can write it as " People who are not dangerous, they do not drive fast" i.e People whoare dangerous must drive fast...Its illogical in real world.

PLs help me to clear my doubts.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4458 [1] , given: 162

Re: Necessary and sufficeint Questions [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 18:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
Hello all

I am initiating this discussion to clear my doubt on Necessary and Sufficient questions.

Sufficient condition : This is the part of conditional statement that indicates the occurance of necessary condition.
Necessary Condition : This condition is a part of the condition statement the occurance of it is required for the sufficient condition.
Typical example:-

If you get an A+, then you must have studied

Sufficient Condition : Get an A+
Necessary condition: You must have studied.

Another example

My doubt is should we consider parallel thinking in such question i.e. Should we think that A dangerous person can have several traits and driving fast is one of them.
Or When we are considering Necessary and Sufficient condition we must stick to the fact that there exists only one condition as stated in the statement.
Is it correct to say " People who are dangerous, its not necessary that they drive fast"
Justification: There may be many people who are veteran criminal but while driving drive slowly because they do not want accident.

My Query is Should we restrict ourselves to the two conditions itself when answering such question or think logically as we do on all other CR questions. If we follow the logical procedure then the the mentioned statement with justification should be correct. But if we just restrict ourselves to two events than we can write it as " People who are not dangerous, they do not drive fast" i.e People whoare dangerous must drive fast...Its illogical in real world.

PLs help me to clear my doubts.

We discuss necessary and sufficient conditions in detail in our book. It is an extremely important concept. There is a diagram that looks like this:

Necessary 1 ----->
Necessary 2------>
Necessary 3------> Sufficient Condition

All necessary conditions together lead to the sufficient condition. If the sufficient condition takes place, it means all necessary conditions took place. If one necessary condition takes place, we dont know whether the sufficient condition took place or not since we dont know whether the other necessary conditions took place. If even one necessary condition did not take place we can easily say that the sufficient condition did not take place.

This means you need to be dangerous to be able to drive fast. To 'drive fast', there are various necessary conditions. 'Being dangerous' is one of them.

Quote: "Should we think that A dangerous person can have several traits and driving fast is one of them."
No, you should think that people who drive fast have several traits. Being dangerous is one of them. The sufficient conditions could need many necessary conditions. Not the other way around.

Quote: "Is it correct to say " People who are dangerous, its not necessary that they drive fast"

Yes it is. Being dangerous is a necessary condition. We don't know whether it alone leads to the sufficient condition of driving fast.

Check out my recent posts on my blog (link is in my signature). They tackle necessary and sufficient conditions.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 67

Re: Necessary and sufficeint Questions [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 18:49
HI Karishma
That means
If just necessary condition is mentioned for an action to be sufficient we should not assume that there are many others, If it is not explicitly mentioned in the argument.
Necessary1--> Sufficient
There may be many other but we ar oncerned her only about necessary 1
Necessary1, Necessary2, Necessary3------------> Sufficient
All 3 are needed for the condition to be sufficient.Other than these we are not concerned about any....

regards
Archit
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4458 [0], given: 162

Re: Necessary and sufficeint Questions [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 19:01
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
HI Karishma
That means
If just necessary condition is mentioned for an action to be sufficient we should not assume that there are many others, If it is not explicitly mentioned in the argument.
Necessary1--> Sufficient
There may be many other but we ar oncerned her only about necessary 1
All 3 are needed for the condition to be sufficient.Other than these we are not concerned about any....

regards
Archit

If a necessary condition is mentioned for a sufficient condition, we know that there is at least this condition necessary. There could be others too, we should not forget that. This necessary condition alone may not be enough to make the sufficient condition take place.

Remember:

All 3 are required to make the sufficient happen.

But if the sufficient happens, we know all three necessary conditions took place.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Necessary and sufficeint Questions   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2012, 19:01