Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 15:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (02:05) correct 27% (01:18) wrong based on 48 sessions
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white-tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.

(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut
(B) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide used for clothing, with its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut used
(C) deer: which was a source of meat, with its hide used for clothing, antlers and bones for tools, as well as its sinews and gut used
(D) deer: which, as well as being a source of meat, its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut were
(E) deer: with, as well as being a source of meat, its hide used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 20

Re: Of all the wild animals in their area [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 20:07
Chose A.

Seems straight. Make all elements parallel. All other choices seem filled with errors.

My First Blog on my GMAT Journey

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 38

Re: Of all the wild animals in their area [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 02:31
aditi1903 wrote:
ENAFEX wrote:
Chose A.

Seems straight. Make all elements parallel. All other choices seem filled with errors.

wats wrong WITH B?

(B) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide used for clothing, with its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut used

These are two errors in this sentence -

1. its hide used - means the hide used something...incorrect...hide was used by someone else....this must be in passive
2. with its antlers - means the hide used for clothing with antlers...

Hope this helps.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 688

Kudos [?]: 3020 [0], given: 890

Re: Of all the wild animals in their area [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 03:12
Expert's post
kingb wrote:
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white-tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.

(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut
(C) deer: which was a source of meat, with its hide used for clothing, antlers and bones for tools, as well as its sinews and gut used
(D) deer: which, as well as being a source of meat, its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut were
(E) deer: with, as well as being a source of meat, its hide used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut

Cool question
Things to note here:
Item is a list concept: "A,B,C and D" is the correct list construction.
This statement however is complex. The right of the colon describes a list of 2 things (not 4). It says the the deer is used for flesh and its other body parts are used for other stuffs.
Also, "with" introduces a phrase/clause which gives further information.
Also, the : should be followed by an independent clause
Considering these points, A is clearly the winner.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Re: Of all the wild animals in their area   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2012, 03:12