GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 06:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 630
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Jan 2019, 04:51
2
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:30) correct 32% (01:38) wrong based on 449 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.


(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut

(B) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide used for clothing, with its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut used

(C) deer: which was a source of meat, with its hide used for clothing, antlers and bones for tools, as well as its sinews and gut used

(D) deer: which, as well as being a source of meat, its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut were

(E) deer: with, as well as being a source of meat, its hide used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut


What's wrong with B??...any //ism error...

Originally posted by vineetgupta on 23 Jun 2007, 21:55.
Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Jan 2019, 04:51, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5095
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Aug 2019, 04:14
3
2
IMO,it is not grammatically correct to use connection words such as which, that or with, and namely etc after the colon to start the second sentence. That is why C, D and E re wrong at the first instance. Of course, this topic which tests the use parallelism essentially has several other mistakes in CDE. Aside them, between A and B

(A) Deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was
used for clothing, its antlers and bones for
tools, and its sinews and gut ------ correct choice.


(B) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide used
for clothing, with its antlers and bones for
tools, and its sinews and gut used --- with its antlers distorts the meaning and spoils the parallelism. It looks as if the hide was used with its antlers and bones; the word used after the gut is again distortion of parallelism
_________________
If you can't sync with the vibe of GMAT, you had better think!!!

Originally posted by daagh on 16 May 2012, 00:48.
Last edited by daagh on 13 Aug 2019, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 256
Re: Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2007, 11:38
1
vineetgupta wrote:
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.

(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut
(B) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide used for clothing, with its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut used
(C) deer: which was a source of meat, with its hide used for clothing, antlers and bones for tools, as well as its sinews and gut used
(D) deer: which, as well as being a source of meat, its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut were
(E) deer: with, as well as being a source of meat, its hide used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut

What's wrong with B??...any //ism error...


(A) is correct since '...the animal was X, and its hide was used for Y...' you have to repeat 'was' since it is as a new verb 'be used' with a new subject. cheers
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Re: Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2012, 18:30
The reason that B is wrong is the , with after the clothing which makes the bones seem like they are refering to the clothing....makes sense
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 404
Re: Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2012, 19:37
2
1
+1 for A.

Relative pronouns : which, that, who etc are used to modify nouns before them. In the sentence there is a punctuation ":" (colon) involved. Colon is used for giving examples or if it can be replaced by "namely" or "that is/are".

Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white tailed deer : it was a source of meat ......

which would be incorrect as the following sentence would not make any sense:

Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white tailed deer namely, which was a source of meat ......

Crick
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 166
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Re: Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2012, 19:53
1
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.

(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut-->correct ,all the phrases are parallel.
(B) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide used for clothing, with its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut used-->transgresses the parallelism rules
(C) deer: which was a source of meat, with its hide used for clothing, antlers and bones for tools, as well as its sinews and gut used--> colon is unnecessary here .
(D) deer: which, as well as being a source of meat, its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut were-->same as D
(E) deer: with, as well as being a source of meat, its hide used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut--> wordy and not clear.

I think it is better if there was a semicolon instead of a colon here .Colon is used to infront of examples .I think the use of semicolon is more apt in the above sentence.A complete sentence is warranted after a semicolon .
_________________
+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2011
Posts: 125
Re: Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2012, 01:22
The correct answer is A. B is incorrect as the phrase "Bones' seems as if they refer to clothing.
_________________
_________________
Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2010
Posts: 15
Re: Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2012, 21:37
Can somebody please thow some light on this question? Narrowed to A & C.
_________________
WHAT I BELIEVE, I BECOME

WE GET ONLY ONE CHANCE AT LIFE AND I WILL NOT RUIN IT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: UWC
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 337
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge
Re: Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2012, 22:57
1
1
rashee65 wrote:
Can somebody please thow some light on this question? Narrowed to A & C.


1. Rule of WHICH:
C) Which needs to be used with a comma as a non essential modifier.

2. PARALLEL STRUCTURES: It is acceptable if the second element in a parallel structure is parallel to the rest of the elements after it:

(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was
used for clothing, its antlers and bones for
tools, and its sinews and gut

of meat is not parallel to the other elements BUT,
for clothing, for tools and for bindings and glue are parallel.
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4258
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2012, 04:12
1
kingb wrote:
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white-tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.

(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut
(B) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide used for clothing, with its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut used
(C) deer: which was a source of meat, with its hide used for clothing, antlers and bones for tools, as well as its sinews and gut used
(D) deer: which, as well as being a source of meat, its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut were
(E) deer: with, as well as being a source of meat, its hide used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut


Cool question
Things to note here:
Item is a list concept: "A,B,C and D" is the correct list construction.
This statement however is complex. The right of the colon describes a list of 2 things (not 4). It says the the deer is used for flesh and its other body parts are used for other stuffs.
Also, "with" introduces a phrase/clause which gives further information.
Also, the : should be followed by an independent clause
Considering these points, A is clearly the winner.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2018
Posts: 20
Re: Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 07:35
vineetgupta wrote:
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.


(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut

(B) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide used for clothing, with its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut used

(C) deer: which was a source of meat, with its hide used for clothing, antlers and bones for tools, as well as its sinews and gut used

(D) deer: which, as well as being a source of meat, its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut were

(E) deer: with, as well as being a source of meat, its hide used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut


What's wrong with B??...any //ism error...


There should be a independent clause after colon or list of things

C,D,E failed to do so.

B changed the tense

So A
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 13 Apr 2019
Posts: 181
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 20:48
souvik101990 wrote:
kingb wrote:
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white-tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.

(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut
(B) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide used for clothing, with its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut used
(C) deer: which was a source of meat, with its hide used for clothing, antlers and bones for tools, as well as its sinews and gut used
(D) deer: which, as well as being a source of meat, its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut were
(E) deer: with, as well as being a source of meat, its hide used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut


Cool question
Things to note here:
Item is a list concept: "A,B,C and D" is the correct list construction.
This statement however is complex. The right of the colon describes a list of 2 things (not 4). It says the the deer is used for flesh and its other body parts are used for other stuffs.
Also, "with" introduces a phrase/clause which gives further information.
Also, the : should be followed by an independent clause
Considering these points, A is clearly the winner.


IMO this is the only response capturing the real essence of the question. Rest all responses go in weird directions.
I was really curious how A&B, C&D is correct construction. I had eliminated all the 5 answers :-D :-D :-D
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2345
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 21:31
vineetgupta wrote:
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.


(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut

(B) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide used for clothing, with its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut used

(C) deer: which was a source of meat, with its hide used for clothing, antlers and bones for tools, as well as its sinews and gut used

(D) deer: which, as well as being a source of meat, its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut were

(E) deer: with, as well as being a source of meat, its hide used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut


Dear MartyTargetTestPrep

1- Can you please show the parallelism in the OA? Is there any ellipsis?

2- Can only we have full sentence after colon, so that which, with in choices C,D & E are wrong?

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 13 Apr 2019
Posts: 181
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 21:37
Mo2men wrote:
vineetgupta wrote:
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.


(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut

(B) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide used for clothing, with its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut used

(C) deer: which was a source of meat, with its hide used for clothing, antlers and bones for tools, as well as its sinews and gut used

(D) deer: which, as well as being a source of meat, its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut were

(E) deer: with, as well as being a source of meat, its hide used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut


Dear MartyTargetTestPrep

1- Can you please show the parallelism in the OA? Is there any ellipsis?

2- Can only we have full sentence after colon, so that which, with in choices C,D & E are wrong?

Thanks in advance


I had the exact same queries when attempting the question. The same has already been covered in expert responses and cleared my concepts. So, Please have a look

1- Can you please show the parallelism in the OA? Is there any ellipsis? look at souvik101990 response above
2- Can only we have full sentence after colon, so that which, with in choices C,D & E are wrong? look at daagh response above
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
P
Status: Chief Curriculum and Content Architect
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 24 Nov 2014
Posts: 618
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 14:40
1
Mo2men wrote:
Dear MartyTargetTestPrep

1- Can you please show the parallelism in the OA? Is there any ellipsis?

Here's the version created via the use of the correct answer, (A):

    Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.

Following the colon are two ideas expressed by, "it was ..." and "it's hide was ...." While it may seem odd that two "and"s are used to break up what may appear to be a list of four like items, what's really going on is that the first "and" is used to separate different ideas, the first of the two ideas being the "it was a source of" idea and the second being the list of items and how they are used. So, it makes sense to include the first "and."

The first "and" is necessary also because of the ellipsis used in writing the last two items. "Was used" can be elided from the last two items without loss of clarity, because the last two items resemble structurally and logically the second item. Thus, the "was used" that appears in the second item, "its hide was used," can be understood to be expressed by the third and fourth items without its being written. However, this ellipsis would not work were there no "and" between the first and second items, because the first item is logically different from the last three, and because "was used" does not appear in the first item. So, the first "and" allows the ellipsis.

So, following the colon in this version are two parallel items connected by comma + "and," the second of which items is composed of a parallel list of three items in which "was used" is elided in the last two items, which are parallel to the first of the three, even without "was used," because the last two items are understood to express "was used" even though "was used" is not written.

Adding further to the complexity of the sentence is the fact that each of the last two items in the list of how things were used contains a list of two items. At the same time, these lists nested within the list items do not affect the parallelism of the list of how things were used.

Quote:
2- Can only we have full sentence after colon, so that which, with in choices C,D & E are wrong?

A colon in a sentence is meant to separate from what precedes the colon from an item or list of items. Consider the following example:

    Jack laid on the table all of his possessions: a set of clothes, a pair of shoes, and an ancient picture of his father.

In the above example, the colon is followed by a list of nouns.

It is also correct to use a clause after a colon, if the clause expresses an item related to what precedes the colon.

A modifier is not an item or a list of items. A modifier modifies something. So, a modifier should not be separated from the what precedes it in a sentence by a colon. A colon separates a modifier from what it modifies in an illogical way. So, (C), (D), and (E) are incorrect because, in all three, a modifier follows a colon.

I personally don't really understand using a colon in the way in which it is used in the correct answer to this question, because the sentence is not really set up in a way that indicates that an item or a list of items is coming. All the same, it is the case that, in the correct answer, a list of items follows the colon.
_________________

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2345
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 15:10
1
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
Dear MartyTargetTestPrep

1- Can you please show the parallelism in the OA? Is there any ellipsis?

Here's the version created via the use of the correct answer, (A):

    Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.

Following the colon are two ideas expressed by, "it was ..." and "it's hide was ...." While it may seem odd that two "and"s are used to break up what may appear to be a list of four like items, what's really going on is that the first "and" is used to separate different ideas, the first of the two ideas being the "it was a source of" idea and the second being the list of items and how they are used. So, it makes sense to include the first "and."

The first "and" is necessary also because of the ellipsis used in writing the last two items. "Was used" can be elided from the last two items without loss of clarity, because the last two items resemble structurally and logically the second item. Thus, the "was used" that appears in the second item, "its hide was used," can be understood to be expressed by the third and fourth items without its being written. However, this ellipsis would not work were there no "and" between the first and second items, because the first item is logically different from the last three, and because "was used" does not appear in the first item. So, the first "and" allows the ellipsis.

So, following the colon in this version are two parallel items connected by comma + "and," the second of which items is composed of a parallel list of three items in which "was used" is elided in the last two items, which are parallel to the first of the three, even without "was used," because the last two items are understood to express "was used" even though "was used" is not written.

Adding further to the complexity of the sentence is the fact that each of the last two items in the list of how things were used contains a list of two items. At the same time, these lists nested within the list items do not affect the parallelism of the list of how things were used.

Quote:
2- Can only we have full sentence after colon, so that which, with in choices C,D & E are wrong?

A colon in a sentence is meant to separate from what precedes the colon from an item or list of items. Consider the following example:

    Jack laid on the table all of his possessions: a set of clothes, a pair of shoes, and an ancient picture of his father.

In the above example, the colon is followed by a list of nouns.

It is also correct to use a clause after a colon, if the clause expresses an item related to what precedes the colon.

A modifier is not an item or a list of items. A modifier modifies something. So, a modifier should not be separated from the what precedes it in a sentence by a colon. A colon separates a modifier from what it modifies in an illogical way. So, (C), (D), and (E) are incorrect because, in all three, a modifier follows a colon.

I personally don't really understand using a colon in the way in which it is used in the correct answer to this question, because the sentence is not really set up in a way that indicates that an item or a list of items is coming. All the same, it is the case that, in the correct answer, a list of items follows the colon.


Thanks a lot MartyTargetTestPrep for your response and elaboration. Now it is clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 09 Aug 2017
Posts: 494
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2019, 17:26
I am little confused about parallelism in A.
: X and Y.
Now let's talk about Y.
Its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for binding and glue.

Its a was used for b, its m for n, and its p for q.
I think my understanding to construction of statement is correct. Now problem is that how these three clauses are in parallel.
Shouldn't it be like below?
Its a was used for b, its m was used for n, and its p was used for q.
Please help me to understand this situation!


souvik101990 wrote:
kingb wrote:
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white-tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.

(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut
(B) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide used for clothing, with its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut used
(C) deer: which was a source of meat, with its hide used for clothing, antlers and bones for tools, as well as its sinews and gut used
(D) deer: which, as well as being a source of meat, its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut were
(E) deer: with, as well as being a source of meat, its hide used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut


Cool question
Things to note here:
Item is a list concept: "A,B,C and D" is the correct list construction.
This statement however is complex. The right of the colon describes a list of 2 things (not 4). It says the the deer is used for flesh and its other body parts are used for other stuffs.
Also, "with" introduces a phrase/clause which gives further information.
Also, the : should be followed by an independent clause
Considering these points, A is clearly the winner.
GMAT Club Bot
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2019, 17:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Del

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne