Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [9]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [8]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Shashank: Sharma
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Project Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: Olin (WUSTL) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
The following post concerns the applicants like me, who haven't received an interview invite.

I wrote to the admission committee to confirm the exact status. They replied that till date they have only reviewed 50% of the applications. They also informed that they will keep sending the invites till the end of November for first round applicants.

Hence all is not lost as yet..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.83
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
The most important question that they will ask you, by a mile, is why are you applying and why you want an MBA? Do not, by any means, try to dodge this question. For me, I faced the precursor question specific to my background -- why did I go to law school, first? As an aside, this shows you that the questioning is somewhat spontaneous such that, I would prepare and practice, but beware of being scripted because the discussion will likely move off script.

Back to that question, it was particularly challenging for me because, frankly, law school was a mistake in many regards or at least not the best choice I ever made. But, we never want to present a weak face in an interview. So, I explained the rationale leading up to that decision and placed myself back in time to where I was when I was making that decision -- 24 years old, a fancy school, coming from a lowly ranked school with a liberal arts degree, and with a pretty good scholarship. Thus, in that light and at that time, it made sense. I was then asked what was important to me when I was applying to law school -- I responded, "rank and money whereas today, in applying to business school, I am looking for a smaller and more intimate program with good job placement -- hence, my application, here." I also pointed to the fact that a legal background has some supplemental utility in my career choice of consulting. However, I explained, in a very matter of fact fashion, that my law school decision was a mistake, but that I learned a lot in the process and thankfully didn't rack up too much debt.

The other questions are related and common: (1) What is your goal after graduation (be specific in terms of where you want to end up and about what questions you have unanswered in the process); (2) what is your goal five years later; (3) give an example of a time you faced a challenge; (4) give an example of a time you took on a leadership role... and there was plenty more, but that is all that I remember... oh, I think they ask about hobbies as well (mine are running, writing poetry, and arguing about things over coffee... kind of lame, but turns out there is a Coffee and Conflict group on campus... they are really nice people).

You can't do bad on the interview. Just be as honest as possible and try to avoid being too polished. Also, don't worry about awkward pauses in the conversation either... this happened early in the interview until I got on a roll and I just said... "my mind hit a blank, can you say more about the question you just asked." Again, regular conversation -- don't worry about being perfect.., don't worry at all. Have fun.

devotee wrote:
linzhouu wrote:
Got i/v invite.. Indian, r2 applicant..
After 4 dinges this was a surprise !
had to check my mail for the date i submitted application.. its was way back on 15th nov..
Interesting to see that the invite came out just hours before R3 deadline..

So here is the ques i have been waiting to post : Any tips for olin interview ???

Best of luck people ..

Got an i/v call too...woot!!
Indian R2 applicant
just to repeat linzhouu's question.... any tips for the interview..
I know my interviewer is a 2014 batch student.. wonder what they ask!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [3]
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Olin '16 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Guys,

I had my interview today at Ahmedabad. It was taken by Ms. Jan Snow. She was very nice and friendly.
Questions Asked:
1. Difference between USA and India's study (I have done two international internships so it was kind of related to that)
2. Short term and long term goals
3. Why MBA
4. Why now
5. Leadership and Teamwork experience
6. What strengths your colleagues will highlight about you?
7. What strengths your supervisor will highlight about you?
8. Why OLIN?
9. What do I do in free time?
10. What other colleges have you applied to and if you get a call from everywhere, how will you decide?
11. Questions for me?

Overall it was a very nice experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Woooooo!!! People... I just retook the GMAT today -- I wanted to try with a better prep that the holiday afforded -- 770. Wooooo!!! Seriously having such an awesome week.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Got my admission packet: Dean's scholarship 20K $ per semester.... !!!
By the way, my admission packet also says 1st deposit date as 5th March .
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [3]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
College looked lovely covered in snow..
Attachments

WashU in winter.JPG
WashU in winter.JPG [ 2.17 MiB | Viewed 3224 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Just got accepted. Round 3 applicant.

Application submitted: 1/04/14
Invited to Interview: 2/14/14
Interviewed: 2/19/14
Accepted: 2/21/14
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [3]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Got an admit!!!!!! :D
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [2]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MacFauz wrote:
Can someone answer me this.. The school waived the requirement for a test of english proficiency for me... But Is a TOEFL or IELTS required for an F1 visa??

Posted from my mobile device

The F1 visa does not require taking any tests. Admit from the university is sufficient. I don't even know how you would submit it...
You Need an I-20 and proof of financial support.
You also need to indicate that you do not intend to immigrate (but that's a diff story and much harder to demonstrate).

P.S. One reason people get F1 visas is that they enter the US for language training.... which would be counter-productive if the F1 required english proficiency.

Best Regards,
BB.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Schools: Olin '16 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Admitted with scholarship :-D :-D
No amount information yet.

Gave my interview on 27th Nov in Ahmedabad. (R1 applicant)

Originally posted by rgoyal082 on 05 Dec 2013, 11:19.
Last edited by rgoyal082 on 05 Dec 2013, 11:52, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
abhisingla wrote:
I got a interview call today - R2 applicant - so dont loose hope -

Guys please share your interview exp on skype -- those who are done with olin

Thanks for sharing Abhi! I too just received an interview invite.

When is your interview scheduled and with whom?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Got i/v invite.. Indian, r2 applicant..
After 4 dinges this was a surprise !
had to check my mail for the date i submitted application.. its was way back on 15th nov..
Interesting to see that the invite came out just hours before R3 deadline..

So here is the ques i have been waiting to post : Any tips for olin interview ???

Best of luck people ..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all, I am a first time poster, but I wanted to give everybody an update -- acceptance calls are coming!!!!! I received a call this afternoon from the Dean with the good news. In terms of financial aid, I have not heard anything on that front and I did not want to broach that topic in the middle of a pleasant admissions call.

Applicant Profile:
Work Experience: about 6 years (much of which is blue collar and some of which is in political campaign management)
Education: NAU (Political Science) and Georgetown Law (law school)
GMAT: 720 (Q47 V42)
Hometown: Phoenix and All Over
Career Goal: External Consulting
Other Exciting tidbits: former student athlete, leader of a bunch of clubs, jolly volunteer type, and lover of all caffeinated substances

Good luck to all. For all those still applying and looking forward to interviews my advice would be very simple -- just be yourself. I've had a few interviews with schools where there wasn't a great connection, but I got the impression right away that the Olin staff was looking for reasons to accept a student rather than reasons to not. For example, I am pretty modest despite having accomplished a lot over years (probably too much so), but when I was telling stories and answering questions my interviewer said at numerous times, "so you'd say that you were a leader in that effort, weren't you" or similar statements. It just seems like they have a good bunch of people there who want you to succeed in the interview. So, don't worry, be respectful, and just enjoy a pleasant interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bro, sounds like it went solid. Remember that the admissions committee works off the notes that are taken from the interview so if you provided tangible explanations of what you've done in your work history then excellent. Sometimes all the words are there and sometimes they aren't -- they realize that this is a high pressure situation.

That said, I can sympathize. I had one interview... prior to my one with Olin... that just went horrendously. First, it was a Skype interview because I was in the middle of finals. Second, Skype stopped working and I had to do it as a full phone interview. Third, the lady was just mean and was looking for reasons to ding me (again, this wasn't Olin). Anyhow, I walked away from that interview realizing it was for the best -- I withdrew my application from that school within a few hours. So, the answer to the question of whether you can fail an interview -- it isn't possible. One of two things happens, instead: (1) you just get a case of the nerves and know you need to practice interviewing a bit more; or (2) you figure out a place isn't a good fit.

In your instance, it sounds like the first which, frankly, is nothing to be concerned about in my opinion.

linzhouu wrote:
Just had my interview..
quick ques : how do you define that you screwed up an interview for a B school.. ?

Had very basic question .. walk me through ur resume .. why mba ... why olin .. why now .. some explanations in between about the points i had written in resume...

got stuck in finding the right words at a few places.. gave ample examples what we I did.. ..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
got my admission packet today and boy oh boy, they are generous in giving scholarship!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.55
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
linzhouu wrote:
$10,000/sem for me ! hmmm.. need to do some research on options now !

Same here, Olin is generous for a top-tier business school.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Tdesena,

I have given three student interviews and two adcom interviews. So my theory is based on just this small data. So take it with a grain of salt.

I strongly feel that student interviews are good ONLY if the adcom really likes you and jut want to know about the school fit. Otherwise I do not think it is a good idea. Adcom members are really experienced people. They know how to steer the interview and bring out the best in the applicants. I am not saying student interviewers wont do this, but I am just saying that not every student interviewer can do this. I believe we need to prepare extra hard to crack the student interviews.

When we put this much effort into the application process, I think we deserve the best chance we can get. No? However, I do understand that with the tremendous increase in the volume of apps, adcom has no choice but to involve the current students I guess.

Thanks,
Prodizy
tdesena wrote:
jnljinson wrote:

hi , absolutely agree with that part. however that can also be accomplished with non-interview chats with current students. I make it a point to connect to at least two students from each school before i sit for an interview / fill out the app etc. ( one US student and one international ).
what I am worried is that , when students take the interviews , their heart may sometimes be not into it. again this is only some cases but certainly there is a risk of running into a dis interested student. Also there is an authority / mandate issue compared to a member from the adcom. The students mostly stick to the questionnaire agenda whereas the adcos usually improvises the question list making the interview more engaging.

Jinson, that's a very good point I had not considered. My sense with the student interviews is they're more concerned with fit from a student perspective. I think adcom members attempt to assess problem solving skills, relevant work experience etc. My sense through student interviews is an emphasis is place on how they think you'd fit in class (is this someone I'd want to be in a small group with? Grab lunch with? etc.). For that reason, I found the student interviews to be a pleasant interview and actually some of them were quite fun. At my interview with Duke, we somehow got on the topic of discussing how we'd survive the zombie apocalypse.

So, what I guess I'm saying is, I like the student interview because I can talk about the zombie apocalypse.

Good luck with your Olin interview. Hopefully you'll get someone who cares about the interview. I'll be curious to get your feedback on how it went/what you thought of the interviewer.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts