Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 21:33
daksha17 wrote:
sumylal wrote:

Just got a call from Vandy. I'm in with a 25k/year scholarship.

UNC would cost me 110k since they didn't offer me a scholarship, Vandy would cost me 42k. Lets see what happens with Ross.

What I feel like isn't discussed in your analysis is ROI. With a higher ranked school, wouldn't you have the benefit of making more money in the medium and long-term (assuming a scholarship makes a lower ranked school better in the short-term), and then possibly being able to settle down wherever you want because of the locational flexibility offered by attending a high-ranked school?

Hi congrats.. where are you from?

any information?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 05:06
daksha17 wrote:
sumylal wrote:

UNC would cost me 110k since they didn't offer me a scholarship, Vandy would cost me 42k. Lets see what happens with Ross.

What I feel like isn't discussed in your analysis is ROI. With a higher ranked school, wouldn't you have the benefit of making more money in the medium and long-term (assuming a scholarship makes a lower ranked school better in the short-term), and then possibly being able to settle down wherever you want because of the locational flexibility offered by attending a high-ranked school?

I live in Washington DC.
Vanderbilt Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: Q V0
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 78

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 05:49
[qoute/]Just got a call from Vandy. I'm in with a 25k/year scholarship.

What I feel like isn't discussed in your analysis is ROI. With a higher ranked school, wouldn't you have the benefit of making more money in the medium and long-term (assuming a scholarship makes a lower ranked school better in the short-term), and then possibly being able to settle down wherever you want because of the locational flexibility offered by attending a high-ranked school?[/quote]

Good question. But UNC to Vandy is nothing you are talking 25 - 20. The difference in pay is insignificant and the difference in career projection is also statistically insignificant. Even Cornell being in the Ivey league is realitively insignificant. I would say ross may get you into some boutique i.b. or consulting boutiques that unc and vandy won't. But, other than that it is pretty much the same. You are telling me you are going to make up 68K by choosing unc or ross over vandy... probably not. Now if you said harvard or wharton or standford I woud say maybe but not definitely. That 68k is after taxes and interest for two years at 6%. So you ar talking about having to make 100+K to pay that back. There is no way that you will make 100K more at unc or ross in a few years than vandy. And once you are in the work force it is about you not your mba that determines your salary.

Again the point comes to this outsdie the top 5 it doesnt matter. except if you start getting outside the top 25. but any top 25-10 school is pretty much the same. ross and unc do not offer that big of an advantage in my opion. UNC definitely not the two are peer schools. Look at every metric. avg GMAT avg GPA, acceptance, starting salary, bonus, core recruting, placement. you name it its the same. Ross a little better but nothing significant.

Plus if a school is going to pay you to go there they are probably going ot help you out as much as possible. They invested a ton of money in you they are not going to let you fail. I heard this from the old head of admissions at one of the schools you mentioned and we both are admitted to. " If we invest in you we track you more heavily and invest more in the outcome of where you end up. " Think about it you are there future marketing tool They see your potiental and want to capitalize on it.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 05:58
Hey,

To those asking... yes I received a phone call and yes I am an international student.
Current Student
Schools: Owen '16 (M)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 08:56
anyone got called today? or dinged if haven't been called now?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 11:08
nankaizheng wrote:

I have no first hand knowledge, but I would say it doesn't mean anything. I believe I saw that some people in the first round did not receive calls but were accepeted.
Current Student

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 12:33
nankaizheng wrote:

I got a call yesterday, but I didn't receive a call or an e-mail for my interview and had to reach out to them...so there's that.
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Web Design (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 13

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 23:08
onigo wrote:
daksha17 wrote:
sumylal wrote:

any information?

Nope not yet. Anyone getting any calls today??
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
[any information?[/quote]

Nope not yet. Anyone getting any calls today??[/quote]
nothing change, no phone call, no mail, also web status is still showing complete
Current Student
Affiliations: MENSA India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q44 V32
GMAT 4: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 5: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 01:01
sumylal wrote:
nankaizheng wrote:

I got a call yesterday, but I didn't receive a call or an e-mail for my interview and had to reach out to them...so there's that.

Hi sumylal,

Just a bit confused. You got a call from them, but were not called for interview? Good to know you got admitted with an interview waiver!

Always aim at the moon. Never mind if you miss, you will fall in the stars :-)

Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 186

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 01:05
themagus wrote:
Hi sumylal,

Just a bit confused. You got a call from them, but were not called for interview? Good to know you got admitted with an interview waiver!

I think he meant that he was CALLED (on the phone) to confirm the admit, but not for interview. (meaning the interview invite must have only been on the online portal and he had to call/email AdCom to schedule the interview ;))
Current Student
Affiliations: MENSA India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q44 V32
GMAT 4: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 5: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 01:19
kaustubhkul wrote:
themagus wrote:
Hi sumylal,

I think he meant that he was CALLED (on the phone) to confirm the admit, but not for interview. (meaning the interview invite must have only been on the online portal and he had to call/email AdCom to schedule the interview ;))

Yes Kaustubhkul,
My instincts told me that ;)

Always aim at the moon. Never mind if you miss, you will fall in the stars :-)

Current Student

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 05:11
kaustubhkul wrote:
themagus wrote:
Hi sumylal,

Exactly.

I'm in DC BTW.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Owen '16 (M)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
IN w/ $$
FYI got emailed around 7pm PST last night, so for those still waiting for vandy, hang in there as AO are rolling out decisions. Good luck to all
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.77
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 1

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted with full scholarship....Just received the mail!!
All the best for you all waiting for decision........Hope decisions are in your favor :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 13:34
This post received
KUDOS
In with $. This is it!
Current Student

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 20:12
My Owen page's Your application status and decision used to show Complete now its blank.
FREAKING OUT!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Current Student

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 20:35
raviheerwani wrote:
In with $. This is it!

Congrats :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 20:59
daksha17 wrote:
raviheerwani wrote:
In with $. This is it!

Congrats :)

I've been put into wait list, go luck to you
Current Student

Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 21:04
Mine is still a blank. What am I supposed to make of that?? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2014, 21:04