Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [9]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Owen '15 (M$)
GRE 1: Q770 V720
GPA: 3.88
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Thank you, sublimer23. It is always nice to get an insider's point of view. I would assume you are satisfied with OCR, do you know of any students who are not happy?

I am not at Owen, so I can't speak firsthand, but Predator is right that Employment Statistics/Rankings are risky to gauge. There is no real "backstory" as to how many jobs were oferred/taken by Company X or in what field. Your dream company may have only taken 1 person for a low salary in a completely unrelated field.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
mistablair wrote:
Thank you, sublimer23. It is always nice to get an insider's point of view. I would assume you are satisfied with OCR, do you know of any students who are not happy?

I am not at Owen, so I can't speak firsthand, but Predator is right that Employment Statistics/Rankings are risky to gauge. There is no real "backstory" as to how many jobs were oferred/taken by Company X or in what field. Your dream company may have only taken 1 person for a low salary in a completely unrelated field.

I agree with this but if you look at salary and the stats on a holistic veiw Owen is right up there with every other school in the 15-25 range. Actually better than some schools. 21% in consulting is awesome with a 115-125M salary. IB 8% is right there with every other school in its class. Considering healthcare and operations are the things that Owen is known for I dont think you have to worry about not getting placed.

At no school outside of the M7 are you going to get handed a job and even at those schools you are working for it. Are you going to go to a boutique IB firm or consutling firm ...? Probably not but Deloitte is a def, north highland is a def, mkensey and bcg are maybes but they are maybes at every school outside of the M7.

Seriously unless you are going to an M7 its about who recruits where you are going and where you want to end up.

Originally posted by thisisatestonlyatest on 25 Feb 2014, 12:36.
Last edited by thisisatestonlyatest on 14 Apr 2014, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Owen '15 (M$)
GRE 1: Q770 V720
GPA: 3.88
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Mistablair,

Yes, I have been satisfied by the OCR opportunities, as well our career management center in general. I believe our CMC staff were ranked in the top 10 last year in one guide (though unfortunately I don't recall which publication I saw that in).

Though I haven't talked to anyone who has a negative attitude towards OCR/CMC, I suspect there probably are a few. My guess (and it is just a guess), is that this would be the case at almost any school. Students with backgrounds that aren't particularly conducive to the career switch they are hoping to make (one example I know of being state government to venture capital) face an uphill battle. Not necessarily impossible but a tough sell even out of H/S/W.

At this point, I believe we'd placed about 60% of my class in internships as of a week or two ago, with another 30% of students projected to receive offers by April. Based on what the CMC has said, students interested in real estate and other niche opportunities often deal with just-in-time hiring, so the final 10% tends to happen in May as we break for the summer.

As with anything, I'd advise everyone to take MBA statistics with a grain of salt (How to Lie with Statistics is a quick read from the 50s that is still extremely relevant and readily available on Amazon). It's true that the way career data is aggregated can obfuscate some things (e.g., if a career report says Financial Services, that isn't very telling as to whether students were placing in IB, PWM, Operations, etc.). Try and connect with real students about your particular area(s) of interest to see whether relevant opportunities exist at your school of choice and what degree of success current and former students have had in landing those opportunities.

Although we do place well in NYC and have a growing contingent out on the West Coast, many students tend to look for opportunities in the South (think Nashville, Atlanta, etc.), due to a more expansive alumni network, favorable cost of living, lower hours, etc.

Best.
Current Student
Send PM
thisisatestonlyatest wrote:
mistablair wrote:

I agree with this but if you look at salary and the stats on a holistic veiw Owen is right up there with every other school in the 15-25 range. Actually better than some schools. 21% in consulting is awesome with a 115-125M salary. IB 8% is right there with every other school in its class. Considering healthcare and operations are the things that Owen is known for I dont think you have to worry about not getting placed.

At no school outside of the M7 are you going to get handed a job and even at those schools you are working for it. Are you going to go to a boutique IB firm or consutling firm ...? Probably not but Deloitte is a def, north highland is a def, mkensey and bcg are maybes but they are maybes at every school outside of the M7.

Seriously unless you are going to an M7 its about who recruits where you are going and where you want to end up. Do you want to end up in the North ? Probably shouldn't come to Owen do you wanna end up in the south on the same pay teir? Then come to Owen.

I agree that the Owen salary data looks good. The industry numbers are pretty comparable to any other school. If anything, the % of students who end up in Nashville are the drag on the numbers. I don't know too much about Nashville, but it seems to have a much lower cost of living than the expensive city I live in. Just by browsing apts I know I will save upwards of $1,000 a month for a comparable apartment. That $90k Nashville salary probably goes a lot farther than $100k in NYC or any other big town.
Current Student
Send PM
sublimer23 wrote:
Hi Mistablair,

Yes, I have been satisfied by the OCR opportunities, as well our career management center in general. I believe our CMC staff were ranked in the top 10 last year in one guide (though unfortunately I don't recall which publication I saw that in).

Though I haven't talked to anyone who has a negative attitude towards OCR/CMC, I suspect there probably are a few. My guess (and it is just a guess), is that this would be the case at almost any school. Students with backgrounds that aren't particularly conducive to the career switch they are hoping to make (one example I know of being state government to venture capital) face an uphill battle. Not necessarily impossible but a tough sell even out of H/S/W.

At this point, I believe we'd placed about 60% of my class in internships as of a week or two ago, with another 30% of students projected to receive offers by April. Based on what the CMC has said, students interested in real estate and other niche opportunities often deal with just-in-time hiring, so the final 10% tends to happen in May as we break for the summer.

As with anything, I'd advise everyone to take MBA statistics with a grain of salt (How to Lie with Statistics is a quick read from the 50s that is still extremely relevant and readily available on Amazon). It's true that the way career data is aggregated can obfuscate some things (e.g., if a career report says Financial Services, that isn't very telling as to whether students were placing in IB, PWM, Operations, etc.). Try and connect with real students about your particular area(s) of interest to see whether relevant opportunities exist at your school of choice and what degree of success current and former students have had in landing those opportunities.

Although we do place well in NYC and have a growing contingent out on the West Coast, many students tend to look for opportunities in the South (think Nashville, Atlanta, etc.), due to a more expansive alumni network, favorable cost of living, lower hours, etc.

Best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Mista,

If you visit the school you will see why so many students want to stay in Nashville and do so by taking lesser paying jobs. I talked to a bunch of currents and over half said they were taking their job and trying to figure out how to get back to Nashvilee. I have even talked to a bunch of Alumni in Charlotte that would move back in a heart beat . I don't think anyone says that about ithaca, new haven, hanover... :lol: Plus nashville is a hub for healthcare so alot of people are staying for that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
Send PM
Does Owen release decisions exactly on its decision date or might call admitted students ahead? thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Non-profit
Send PM
I ams till waiting for invite for Round 2. Decision date is pretty soon? Any one has insights on the invitation deadline?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Same here, waiting for DDL...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Broad '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Has any 2nd round applicant from India got an interview invite yet?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.6
WE:Accounting (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Vikram3057 wrote:

I had my interview on 4th Feb 2014..
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Broad '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
vishharyan wrote:
Vikram3057 wrote:

Ok. Things have been awful quiet from their side, can't help but fear for the worst :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Vikram3057 wrote:
vishharyan wrote:
Vikram3057 wrote:

Ok. Things have been awful quiet from their side, can't help but fear for the worst :(

On the same boat. It's been more than 1month from the date I received the notification that my application had been submitted for review and so far I haven't got any information from the school. Fingers crossed.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Owen '16 (II)
GPA: 3.93
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
To those who have interviewed at Owen's Campus: Can you please share your experiences?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
Send PM
does Owen release decisions exactly on decision date?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Web Design (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
nankaizheng wrote:

Seems like that from the Round 1 trend
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Yes, decision is published on the decision due date as mentioned on the website for each round.
You may or may not get a call/email. So it's best to check your status online on decision due date after 5 PM CST.
nankaizheng wrote:
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts