Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 18:29 It is currently 07 May 2024, 18:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
gmatmba1 wrote:
I think you have to be careful in analyzing the numbers of offers.
Did Darden have higher number of offers from M than Emory because it was Darden? Or because M was happier with candidates at Darden than at Emory?

I am trying to say it might be possible that it's up to the students as long as the firms recruit at your school, whether it's Darden or Emory.

(or do firms have number of quota for different school? ie. 50 at wharton, 15 at Darden, 3 at lower ranked school X)

Very fair point. My sense is that companies tend to have quota targets, but it's not hard and fast. In other words, if they like the candidate from one school better than from another school, they'll take the candidate they like best, regardless of quota. I admit that chances are if you are good enough to go be accepted to Darden, you will be a competitive candidate against Darden students no matter where you go, assuming companies recruit there and you continue to work hard. That being said, going to the the better school does act as a signal to companies that you are of that caliber; it's not like you put the schools you were accepted to and turned down on your resume.

It sort of goes to the question as to are HBS grads so successful because they went to Harvard or because are qualified to get into Harvard in the first place?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
When looking at any employment statistics, take it with a grain of salt. The only thing that you can be fairly certain is that the recruiter will most likely come back to the school to recruit. However, the number of offers will be different based on the skillset and happiness that the recruiter feels about the candidates for that particular year. Darden did get roughly 8 McKinsey internship offers, which speak volume for Darden given Darden's small class comparing to schools, such as HBS or Columbia. Don't try to look too deep into the numbers; the "real" information that backups the data is almost never disclosed by any school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
When looking at any employment statistics, take it with a grain of salt. The only thing that you can be fairly certain is that the recruiter will most likely come back to the school to recruit. However, the number of offers will be different based on the skillset and happiness that the recruiter feels about the candidates for that particular year. Darden did get roughly 8 McKinsey internship offers, which speak volume for Darden given Darden's small class comparing to schools, such as HBS or Columbia. Don't try to look too deep into the numbers; the "real" information that backups the data is almost never disclosed by any school.

Is the "real" information available once we get to Darden??
:shock:
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
gmatmba1 wrote:
bakfed wrote:

It's not made directly available to you, but through word of mouth and your interaction with second-years and career center, you'll know enough to understand that much more regarding the recruiting process.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
gmatmba1 wrote:
bakfed wrote:

It's not made directly available to you, but through word of mouth and your interaction with second-years and career center, you'll know enough to understand that much more regarding the recruiting process.

I would also say that without knowing background of those receiving offers (GMAT score, work experience, interview and network abilities, work locations, etc...) it is difficult to extrapolate one's specific odds, but I think if you take a general look at stats across any top school you can get a high level picture of how companies view the schools. Such trends change considerably year over year so as has been said, overall fit is likely more important than stats of any kind (job reports, rankings, etc...).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Does anyone know when we can request a feedback session? R1 applicant dinged after an interview. I'd like to know what I can improve upon moving forward.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
beckettma wrote:
Does anyone know when we can request a feedback session? R1 applicant dinged after an interview. I'd like to know what I can improve upon moving forward.

I'm pretty sure that no feedback is given but try to email admissions. Sorry that I can't be more helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Some housing tips for incoming students:

https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/mba201 ... next-year/

Things to Consider When Choosing Housing for Next Year

This blog won’t tell you which housing option to choose (see previous “Where to Live in Charlottesville” post for advice on specific housing options), but rather it will outline a few parameters that might help you while you consider the various options. Do your research and check the facts about those parameters, it might help you make an informed decision!

Contract – Is the contract one sided? Are the terms negotiable? If not, is it worth it?

Deposit – What is the deposit fee? Is it a month’s rent or just a couple of hundred dollars? Under what terms is the management allowed to make deposit deductions? If they can deduct whatever they wish at the end of the term according to the contract, what usually is being deducted by that complex management? In other words, put into the equation the average deduction fee. You might be surprised.

The management’s attitude and reputation – do your research about this bullet. Some of the complexes’ management reputation isn’t so good among Darden students, and each student that thinks so might tell you why. If you don’t want to go through the same experiences, ask.

Is the service good? Are maintenance problems being fixed fast? You wouldn’t want to be waiting a long time when something is dripping!

Are the apartments renovated? Besides $ rent per square foot the condition of the apartments is crucial. When was the last time they were renovated? How does the kitchen and bathroom look like? If you like to cook, it’s important.

Facilities – do they have swimming pools and laundry rooms? How many laundry rooms and how much does it cost to wash and dry? Does their gym have more than one machine? Is it a gym or a “gym”?

Utilities – Besides the obvious calculation of $ rent per square foot, what other charges apply? Will you have to pay for electricity/cables/internet/utilities separately? Some complexes will charge you separately for utilities (water/sewer/garbage) and some won’t and include it in the rent fee. Utilities fees might accumulate to a lot of money (around $600 a year).

Parking – Is parking free at your area as a resident? If it’s not, how much will it cost? Personally, parking had been free where I lived this year but the complex is divided into zones. If you have a zone B sticker you can’t park in zone C. My car got towed once when I went to visit a friend who lived close by ($150 towing fee). Some complexes have free parking for everyone all the time, it’s extremely comfortable when guests come over and you don’t need to worry that their car might get towed… If you don’t want to walk to school everyday and will own a car, parking in Darden’s garage is $600 per/year. Another expense to consider.

Pet friendly apartments and parks – If you have a pet you will obviously need a pet-friendly apartment but aside for that, ask yourself whether there are parks around the housing option and green spaces to walk your dog in. Some pet-friendly parks will have designated dog areas. If you don’t have a pet, think carefully if you intend to get one during your two years at Darden. It might be impossible after you find yourself constrained in a non-pet-friendly apartment.

Late fees – what happens if you are late with paying the rent? Is there a grace period? What happens after the grace period? Some complexes charge $50 per any additional day for being late after the grace period. Some charge a one-time $35 fee, as long as rent is paid by the middle of the month. This point might cost you a lot of money if you happen to be interviewing in another state, for example, and forgot to put the check in the box before you left. It could happen, so keep a good eye about that little item in your contract.

Proximity – In general, there are many good housing options in C’ville. If you have a car or plan to get one, the longest ride you will drive in C’ville from one place to another would be 10-15 mins max. So personally I wouldn’t put too much significance into the ‘proximity to the school’ factor. However, when the entire first four terms start at 8 a.m. daily, others might think otherwise so this is totally subjective, of course. Try to put everything in the equation and not just the proximity factor. The closest option might not provide the best value for your money!

Increased prices – In what % have prices increased in that complex during the last few years? Do they increase it every year or every two years?

Population – What is the population and what are you looking for? Students? Grads? Undergrads? Families? Darden students? Ask yourself if you want to keep seeing your (awesome!) friends (that you’ll see many hours of an average day) after school or if you want a change of environment and atmosphere. Again, totally subjective.

Sublet option – Is there a sublet option in the contract? When one is gone for the summer or wants to move in the middle of the year, this item in the contract might be very important. If there is an option – how does it work? Will the new tenant need to pay another application fee and another contract processing fee? Some places will charge ridiculous amounts and it’s something one better pay close attention to. It might make extra difficulties with finding a new tenant.

The period of your lease - some complexes (like Ivy) will only sign-you up for a year, others will allow you to lease it for 9 months. It's really helpful in case you are not here over the summer and of course - graduating on second year! You can save a lot of money by a 9 month lease (Uheights, for example). Around $3000-$1500 per year so a total of a 3000-6000$ you can save only with that item in the contract. And of course, you won't have to waste time on finding a sublet, and incurring different expenses that are involved with the sublet process.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions! And good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
beckettma wrote:

The Darden website says that 15 min slots for feedback sessions are open.Check out the website
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
GoBSchool2012 wrote:
beckettma wrote:

The Darden website says that 15 min slots for feedback sessions are open.Check out the website

Signed up for a feedback session. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2014
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Been a bit MIA as of late...but just signed my lease for my place in CVille! Feels a lot more real now and I am looking forward to meeting you all in August :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
@krzt : UVA (Darden) - Class of 2015 ? Really mate ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
oldmonk wrote:
@krzt : UVA (Darden) - Class of 2015 ? Really mate ?

Haha...I'm not quite sure what that's referring to. The fact that I'm 2015? :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Yep, just curious, did you defer your admit or were you offered an admission to the Class of 2015 already ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'll be dual degreeing at another school (fingers-crossed...it hasn't been officially approved yet, but I've been told that it's been done before without problems), hence the 2015!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Any news on waitlist movement? Id been waitlisted from R2. Saw on another forum that an R1 wl has received an offer
Manager
Manager
Send PM
This is a bit late, but anyone planning on going to the Darden happy hour in DC tomorrow? It'd be cool (albeit odd!) to meet some of you who plan on attending!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts