Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [24]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: 3 years post MBA - a reflection [#permalink]
Thank you, rhyme. Awesome posts and insights.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
*EDITED*

Originally posted by Shawshank on 26 Oct 2012, 23:04.
Last edited by Shawshank on 19 Jan 2013, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Great post.
Could be argued that even though most guys are looking for ROI from their MBA that if they enjoyed and felt happy post-MBA (e.g. from the career change that otherwise would not have occurred) then that should be taken into account.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
First of all, thanks for the excellent thread to all those who have contributed. This thread, at the very least, makes me happy that I am not alone. I am planning to do a MBA and actually just got an interview invite from Rice PMBA program. I have been working in the US for last 8 years in Civil Engineering Consulting with an emphasis on Geotechnical Engineering. Those who know the industry may also know that this industry is ripe with archaic thinking. I have had a tough time in this industry partly because I speak my mind and partly because I get stereotyped (as a technical person). Under paid (with salary in early 60s - according to DOL, my salary should be close to $75K) and overworked (I pretty much take care of reports, proposals, laboratory testing, drilling, client interactions, project updates, etc.). While I do understand that there are areas for me to improve (mostly related to verbal communication), the discontent and the bitterness have taken their toll. There was a time when I was motivated and passionate about what I did. Now, I simply do it without really caring so much. Even though my current company is small with around 100 employees, the growth opportunities have been missing so far because of a control freak boss (who has the same amount of work experience as I do and who is my intellectual junior).

My short term reasons for doing MBA are apparently not the best - salary growth, better position, and possibly a career transition either into IT (I have 3 years of work experience in a top IT company in India) or into Civil Engineering (possibly a much bigger, international level company).

I would appreciate it if y' all can pour in...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Kudos
These are some of the questions going through my head currently. Right now I like my job ok, it's a good company, albeit maybe a little boring. But I make close to $100K and I have 3 kids. While it's looking like I can get into a really good program, I still have the consideration of just letting my company pay for a part-time MBA at Ohio State. I have the hope that, while it would be a huge debt load, the MBA can propel me to greater responsibility at a fun and exciting company...yeah, the grass is always greener.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Great discussion.

Here is some perspective about MBA from a Stanford alum

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/arti ... -be-an-mba
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [15]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
My advice on the debate if getting an MBA or not will achieve what you want is think about what you want. Now imagine you spent 100k getting a degree, and don't get exactly that...are you able to still be happy or is it going to be the biggest disappointment in your life?

I tend to see my friends who aren't overly thrilled with getting an MBA from whatever big name school as having such a narrow goal and not achieving that made the degree a failure. Generally they can't admit it is them and/or their expectations that failed and not the school. Any top program will provide you with a great education, a network that will open some doors, and career opportunities aplenty. Not everyone that gets into Stanford gets a high profile VC gig, HBS isn't the golden ticket for everyone into a big name PE firm, Kellogg wont get you a marketing gig at the biggest name CPG's.

If you don't have the right background and want to make a major career shift, it may be doable depending on the function and industry, but requires a lot more of you. Just having the fancy degree wont get it done because you will be competing with people from lots of big name schools and some have a background that perfectly aligns with what companies want. Certain changes are much more realistic, so I have a lot of friends with no marketing background who landed offers from top companies in this area. But then friends who wanted to break into HF's struggled unless they worked at one pre-MBA or at a big name bank in the right functional area.

Another way to be happy is to set targets on what you will be earning and your ROI. I have friends who probably are making $5k before they graduated and then I know people who are up $75k (non-bankers). Now, some of the people who have the same basic income are extremely happy where they are at, while some people raking in the cash are still unhappy with their career choices. Are some people disappointed with only making $135k a few years out of school, sure, but you need to put that into perspective. Pretty much everyone who goes to a big name school is going to be in the top few percent of income earners, especially in their age range. It takes hanging out with my non-MBA friends to remind me just how warped our reality can become in regards to income. My wife and I will pay more in taxes this year than most of our friends we grew up with will earn in the entire year. My friends from Kellogg are now buying nice houses in the desirable zipcodes, driving nice new cars, have nanny's taking care of their kids, and of course going on ridiculous vacations.

Before committing, I suggest thinking about what is important to you and will make you feel like going to school was a great decision. Then conversely the what if scenario of what will make you feel like you failed. Now think of the likelihood of each of those, and should the failure be much more plausible then maybe it isn't for you. One of my friends who I know is making less than he did before Kellogg, is probably the single most satisfied person with where it got him. For him ROI didnt matter it was about wanting to switch into a niche area he was very passionate about.

Heck personal example, I went with the goal of going into the energy space coming out. Interned at an oil company, but decided that wasn't for me fulltime. Second year I accepted an offer at a manufacturing company, was there for a few years and now am switching to a tech company. I was huge on the energy area, as you may notice if you look through my old posts but for a variety of reasons never actually went into it. However, I could not be any happier with what my degree has gotten me. My income level is bordering on what a few years pre-MBA I would have viewed as obnoxiously high. Met some amazing friends, got to take part in a great couple of years, my wife's career has benefitted, and pretty much overall it worked out better than I hoped even though I definitely didn't achieve my original career goal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
I love this thread.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 838 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
OK, single best thread on GC. I have to go back and give Kudos! :)

Since I am still in College I have slightly different question. Many people tell me that consulting is the best way to groom one for a MBA, considering the diverse industries and the competitive environment. Can you give me any insights if consultants you know have been prepared particularly well for the MBA and have been more successful with Post-MBA job recruiting? Or do you think if I went into an industry position or even entrepreneurship after college, I would be equally well prepared and in a good position to find a job after a MBA?

Thanks for the insight! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
My advice on the debate if getting an MBA or not will achieve what you want is think about what you want. Now imagine you spent 100k getting a degree, and don't get exactly that...are you able to still be happy or is it going to be the biggest disappointment in your life?

I tend to see my friends who aren't overly thrilled with getting an MBA from whatever big name school as having such a narrow goal and not achieving that made the degree a failure. Generally they can't admit it is them and/or their expectations that failed and not the school. Any top program will provide you with a great education, a network that will open some doors, and career opportunities aplenty. Not everyone that gets into Stanford gets a high profile VC gig, HBS isn't the golden ticket for everyone into a big name PE firm, Kellogg wont get you a marketing gig at the biggest name CPG's.

If you don't have the right background and want to make a major career shift, it may be doable depending on the function and industry, but requires a lot more of you. Just having the fancy degree wont get it done because you will be competing with people from lots of big name schools and some have a background that perfectly aligns with what companies want. Certain changes are much more realistic, so I have a lot of friends with no marketing background who landed offers from top companies in this area. But then friends who wanted to break into HF's struggled unless they worked at one pre-MBA or at a big name bank in the right functional area.

Another way to be happy is to set targets on what you will be earning and your ROI. I have friends who probably are making $5k before they graduated and then I know people who are up $75k (non-bankers). Now, some of the people who have the same basic income are extremely happy where they are at, while some people raking in the cash are still unhappy with their career choices. Are some people disappointed with only making $135k a few years out of school, sure, but you need to put that into perspective. Pretty much everyone who goes to a big name school is going to be in the top few percent of income earners, especially in their age range. It takes hanging out with my non-MBA friends to remind me just how warped our reality can become in regards to income. My wife and I will pay more in taxes this year than most of our friends we grew up with will earn in the entire year. My friends from Kellogg are now buying nice houses in the desirable zipcodes, driving nice new cars, have nanny's taking care of their kids, and of course going on ridiculous vacations.

Before committing, I suggest thinking about what is important to you and will make you feel like going to school was a great decision. Then conversely the what if scenario of what will make you feel like you failed. Now think of the likelihood of each of those, and should the failure be much more plausible then maybe it isn't for you. One of my friends who I know is making less than he did before Kellogg, is probably the single most satisfied person with where it got him. For him ROI didnt matter it was about wanting to switch into a niche area he was very passionate about.

Heck personal example, I went with the goal of going into the energy space coming out. Interned at an oil company, but decided that wasn't for me fulltime. Second year I accepted an offer at a manufacturing company, was there for a few years and now am switching to a tech company. I was huge on the energy area, as you may notice if you look through my old posts but for a variety of reasons never actually went into it. However, I could not be any happier with what my degree has gotten me. My income level is bordering on what a few years pre-MBA I would have viewed as obnoxiously high. Met some amazing friends, got to take part in a great couple of years, my wife's career has benefitted, and pretty much overall it worked out better than I hoped even though I definitely didn't achieve my original career goal.

Great post. As a career switcher this is why I have a dream job path and a backup (read: realistic) career plan.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Much needed post. Thank for providing us with your insight. I'm sure that I am not the only one struggling to make the right choice. Thanks again!! Kudos!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
heyholetsgo wrote:
OK, single best thread on GC. I have to go back and give Kudos! :)

Since I am still in College I have slightly different question. Many people tell me that consulting is the best way to groom one for a MBA, considering the diverse industries and the competitive environment. Can you give me any insights if consultants you know have been prepared particularly well for the MBA and have been more successful with Post-MBA job recruiting? Or do you think if I went into an industry position or even entrepreneurship after college, I would be equally well prepared and in a good position to find a job after a MBA?

Thanks for the insight! :)

Going into consulting just because it is going to groom you for an MBA is a surefire way to disappointment. Why would you do something that may make you miserable for 2-4 years? Then what happens if you are a consultant for several years and fail to get into your dream schools...all that planning for naught. Consultants make up a large number of the applicants, and schools desire diversity, so not every consultant goes to top 5 schools. Follow your passion, and see where the road will take you. I went for function over industry and definitely couldn't be happier in that.

Consulting certainly helps recruit in certain areas, but so many of your classmates were consultants that it does not separate you from the pack. If you want to be in a given field and in a given functional area my advice is go into it right out of undergrad. Generally that will better position you for long term success in the field than a few years of consulting will. I know plenty of people who joined consulting and couldn't get out of it fast enough post MBA. They got the same jobs that plenty of folks who didn't go into consulting got, so read into that what you want.

Most consultants go back into consulting for a few years to get their degree paid for or because it is what they know and it generally is on the higher side of the pay scale. The irony is that typically consulting seems to have the lowest satisfaction rate.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I thought I'd add to the "dumb luck" component of how people have fared. January is always an interesting month because you get the 100 "LinkedIn" updates from your classmates. Seems like a lot of "Associates" are now "VP" at banks. A lot of "Consultants" are now "Engagement Managers". I took some time to peruse through and its intriguing - a few folks have done really really well, others seem to be stuck. It's such a curious dynamic to see who has been promoted 3x in 3 years and who hasn't had a single promotion - or just made lateral moves across firms.
I guess I dont have a point here, other than to re-iterate that an MBA will open doors, but what happens after that is up to you.

Oh and, best of all, I underestimated my income for this coming year!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
I thought I'd add to the "dumb luck" component of how people have fared. January is always an interesting month because you get the 100 "LinkedIn" updates from your classmates. Seems like a lot of "Associates" are now "VP" at banks. A lot of "Consultants" are now "Engagement Managers". I took some time to peruse through and its intriguing - a few folks have done really really well, others seem to be stuck. It's such a curious dynamic to see who has been promoted 3x in 3 years and who hasn't had a single promotion - or just made lateral moves across firms.
I guess I dont have a point here, other than to re-iterate that an MBA will open doors, but what happens after that is up to you.

Interesting. Were the people who got promoted multiple times the ones who stood out while you were in class with them? I wonder if there's any correlation between how hard they worked in b-school and their subsequent professional performance.

Thanks so much for your insightful posts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
Shawshank wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Interesting. Were the people who got promoted multiple times the ones who stood out while you were in class with them? I wonder if there's any correlation between how hard they worked in b-school and their subsequent professional performance.

Thanks so much for your insightful posts.

You know, you'd think there's be more correlation.... it really is a random walk (poor pun).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.1
WE:Accounting (Other)
Send PM
This was such a good post, so I'm bumping it up! Hope to get some other people's post-MBA reflections.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Just read this post and found the perspective amazingly refreshing. Kudos and hope all is well!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3