Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink]
Hi,
I have given my gmat, now I was looking to apply to b-schools, could you suggest me some b-schools gud enough for my score and good schools as well, and if I can get a scholarship. I wanna join this year that is 2013.
my profile is as follows;

Working as HVAC Engineer in Kuwait
GMAT - 630
CGPA - 6.69/10 in Mech. Eng. from BITS Dubai
School - X - 82% XII - 82%
EC's - Have been an integral part of sports and cultural organizing committees throughout, in my office have been a part of the cricket team and played in 2 intra-company football tournaments.
I dont want to do it from MENA region, as job placements are a main concern for me. So my focus on the placements. It would be very helpful if you could advice me.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi SChen,

Congrats on your GMAT score! It is great that you're building an alternative transcript.

Seems like you've been expose to to various functions in your current role, which is great.

For your extracurricular activities, not sure what you're doing w product management association volunteer, but you might want to consider joining an organization that does pro bono consulting to move you closer to your post-MBA career goal.

If you can demonstrate strong leaderhip capabilities and show that you've learned to manage your time well, you should be competitive for these schools. I would narrow down the list to 4-6 schools. We have a client who got (Park fellowship) full-time scholarship to Cornell w a 2.8 GPA & average GMAT score.

We offer pre-planning for people who are preparing to apply to business schools, happy to discuss how you can further improve your profile now to get ready. https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Good luck!

Christine Lin
If you find this post helpful, please give it a KUDOS!

schen1119 wrote:
Hello Christine and team,

Thanks in advance for the profile evaluation. Below is my info:

• I'm a 29 year old Taiwanese-American male located in the San Francisco Bay Area
  • I've been working at a financial services software company for 7 years. We develop web-based software for the mortgage and general lending industries. Our primary focus has been on lending compliance, and our clients include many top banks, mortgage lenders, and, interestingly enough, state and federal regulators
    I am an associate product manager and, due to the small size of the company, have participated in many different roles here. My core responsibility is managing the creation of new features and products (project planning, prioritization of features, managing expectations, and leading an "agile" team of engineers, testers, and occasionally legal researchers). However, I've also drafted marketing materials, trained internal sales, support, and management teams, drafted and maintain user-facing documentation, helped our quality assurance teams test software, and acted as one of three company points of contact for an ongoing project we are working on with a large consulting company
  • My GMAT was 760, Q49, V44, AWA 6.0, IR 8
  • Undergraduate BS in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from UC Berkeley in 2005. Undergrad GPA 2.78. No excuses, I just didn't make good decisions in college. I've been taking some UCLA Extension Online courses to try to mitigate this a little, and I've received A's in principles of accounting 1A and management economics. I'm currently taking principles of accounting 1B and mathematics for managers.
  • In college I was vice president of a social fraternity (among other various positions). Currently, I volunteer with a product management association and the local Lions Club (community service club).
  • I'm also working towards getting a PMI Agile Certified Practitioner certification (it's the "agile" version of a Project Management Professional certification)
  • My target schools are (in order of preference):
    MIT Sloan
    Tuck
    Johnson
    Yale SOM
    Kellogg
    Fuqua
    Darden
  • My post-MBA goal is joining a strategy consulting firm to get more practical experience with a long-term goal of leading a startup
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

What are your career goals? Knowing your career goals will help w school selection.

Can you tell me more about your work experience? How many years? Any leadership examples?

Thanks.

Christine

mars2112 wrote:
Hi,
I have given my gmat, now I was looking to apply to b-schools, could you suggest me some b-schools gud enough for my score and good schools as well, and if I can get a scholarship. I wanna join this year that is 2013.

GMAT - 630
EC's - Have been an integral part of sports and cultural organizing committees throughout, in my office have been a part of the cricket team and played in 2 intra-company football tournaments.
I dont want to do it from MENA region, as job placements are a main concern for me. So my focus on the placements. It would be very helpful if you could advice me.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hey,

Thanks for replying sorry didnt mention my experience the last time its about 3.5 years right now and would like to join into management consulting but am a open minded right now, as I think an mba degree would help me none the less even in my current profile that is as an engineering consultant.

As for the leadership example as I have a strong one ( I think) that I led a project worth 1.2 million Kuwaiti dinar to its completion, when it was handed over to me after a senior colleague left the company.

About choice of b-schools, I wanted to ask which is the best b-school that I can target keeping in mind my low gmat score and
good chance of getting placed after my mba.

Thanks.

MarvelAdmissions wrote:
Hi,

What are your career goals? Knowing your career goals will help w school selection.

Can you tell me more about your work experience? How many years? Any leadership examples?

Thanks.

Christine

mars2112 wrote:
Hi,

GMAT - 630

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

It will be really important for you to get some clarity around your career goal, and reflect on the transferrable skills you have and what you are passionate about.

Would you like to work in Europe or U.S. after your MBA?

You can use the GMAT, GPA as a guide to start your school research, and look into learning environments that you would thrive in, and programs with good management recruiting.

https://business-schools.findthebest.com/

Good luck!

Christine Lin

mars2112 wrote:
Hey,

Thanks for replying sorry didnt mention my experience the last time its about 3.5 years right now and would like to join into management consulting but am a open minded right now, as I think an mba degree would help me none the less even in my current profile that is as an engineering consultant.

As for the leadership example as I have a strong one ( I think) that I led a project worth 1.2 million Kuwaiti dinar to its completion, when it was handed over to me after a senior colleague left the company.

About choice of b-schools, I wanted to ask which is the best b-school that I can target keeping in mind my low gmat score and
good chance of getting placed after my mba.

Thanks.

MarvelAdmissions wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.

Christine

mars2112 wrote:
Hi,

GMAT - 630

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi there,

I was hoping you might be able to give me some advice please?

I applied to Oxford in Round 2 for this year and today received an email stating that i had been unsuccessful in securing an interview. I wasn't surprised as i completely flunked my GMAT Quant section (did quite well in the Verbal though) and ended up with a score of 480. However, i decided to submit my application despite this in the hope that the strength of the rest of my application would perhaps enable me to get to interview stage.

I have a 3.9 GPA and 7 years work experience. I founded and managed an international NGO and worked there for 5.5 years. I have considerable volunteer and extracurricular experience and am currently working in PR and communications consulting. I am also in the final stages of launching an internet start up with a social focus. I am very keen to attend Oxford under the Skoll Scholarship as i have a strong interest in social entrepreneurship. I am also currently completing a Graduate Certificate in Business Administration at an Australian university and am halfway through, however i do not wish to complete the MBA there as it is not of that standard i want. I plan to apply again to Oxford in Round 1 for the school year starting 2014, and have engaged a tutor to assist me with bringing up my GMAT score significantly.

My main query at this point is whether i should continue on to complete the Graduate Certificate in Business Administration here in Australia, or whether i should exit halfway through and concentrate on bringing my GMAT score up, and launching my business. I am concerned that i might look bad if i exit the course without completing it. However, i am also concerned that it may go against me to have completed what is essentially one third of an MBA.

Any advice you may be able to provide would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

Is there a way for you to take a break from the graduate certificate course? It seems like you have quite a bit going on with launching a new business and studying for the GMAT, and still working full-time.

You can probably explain that the course made you realized that you really want to get an MBA, and have found Oxford to be the ideal program for you.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

lmat01 wrote:
Hi there,

I was hoping you might be able to give me some advice please?

I applied to Oxford in Round 2 for this year and today received an email stating that i had been unsuccessful in securing an interview. I wasn't surprised as i completely flunked my GMAT Quant section (did quite well in the Verbal though) and ended up with a score of 480. However, i decided to submit my application despite this in the hope that the strength of the rest of my application would perhaps enable me to get to interview stage.

I have a 3.9 GPA and 7 years work experience. I founded and managed an international NGO and worked there for 5.5 years. I have considerable volunteer and extracurricular experience and am currently working in PR and communications consulting. I am also in the final stages of launching an internet start up with a social focus. I am very keen to attend Oxford under the Skoll Scholarship as i have a strong interest in social entrepreneurship. I am also currently completing a Graduate Certificate in Business Administration at an Australian university and am halfway through, however i do not wish to complete the MBA there as it is not of that standard i want. I plan to apply again to Oxford in Round 1 for the school year starting 2014, and have engaged a tutor to assist me with bringing up my GMAT score significantly.

My main query at this point is whether i should continue on to complete the Graduate Certificate in Business Administration here in Australia, or whether i should exit halfway through and concentrate on bringing my GMAT score up, and launching my business. I am concerned that i might look bad if i exit the course without completing it. However, i am also concerned that it may go against me to have completed what is essentially one third of an MBA.

Any advice you may be able to provide would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your reply.

I can exit the course after i finish the unit, and i would actually like to exit as i don't want to double up on units when i do finally get to Oxford!

However, i am just concerned it will look bad on my academic transcripts to have not completed the course.

I work part time at the moment as i have 2 young children, and am launching my business in my spare time as well as trying to study. I would really love to exit the course and just concentrate on the GMAT and the business, but i am really concerned that it may look bad!

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

I think you should prioritize and do what you feel is right, and not worry about how it may look to the admissions committee. It is understandable that launching a new business would take a lot of effort, plus studying for the GMAT while balancing family life. And since you've decided to pursue an MBA, it makes sense to not continue with the course.

Good luck!

Christine
If you find this post helpful, please give it KUDOS!

lmat01 wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

I can exit the course after i finish the unit, and i would actually like to exit as i don't want to double up on units when i do finally get to Oxford!

However, i am just concerned it will look bad on my academic transcripts to have not completed the course.

I work part time at the moment as i have 2 young children, and am launching my business in my spare time as well as trying to study. I would really love to exit the course and just concentrate on the GMAT and the business, but i am really concerned that it may look bad!

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to look over this, I really really appreciate it. I'll try to be brief and to the point:

Personal Data: 25 year-old Romanian.

Undergraduate Studies: Graduated summa cum laude from liberal arts college (Dickinson College, PA) in May 2010, GPA: 3.84, Phi Beta Kappa, double major in Intl Business & French Culture and Civilization, studied abroad in Toulouse junior year (coursework exclusively in French), where I gained Certificate of Political Studies from the Political Studies Institute of Toulouse.

GMAT Score: 770 (Q50, V44)

Work Experience: 2& 1/2 years of work experience [Summer EU Internship during college (Brussels, Belgium), Internship Conflict Resolution NGO - work with UN entities (NY, US), E-learning Company Consultant and Sales (Bucharest, Romania), Top private-jet manufacturer internship, sales and marketing (Chester, UK)]

Current job: Industry Analyst (UK based company, series of 3-4 month long projects in foreign countries; industry specific reports on Mining, Oil & Gas, and Power industries that are featured in industry specific magazines with targeted readership 100,000+ readers) - I will be starting the job in a few days - meetings and interviews with gov officials and corporate execs in order to gain industry knowledge and produce final report.

Languages spoken: Romanian (native), English, French (very advanced)

Extracurricular: Classical guitar (used to compete), not that intense anymore; Theater (in high-school and college); Tennis, soccer (did not play however at college level)

Schools and Application: I will apply this year (Fall 2013) in order to start MBA full-time in Autumn 2014 (@ age 27) - at this point, I'm thinking Harvard, MIT, Columbia, NYU and INSEAD.

That's about it - I am very curious to see if I have any realistic chances of getting into these schools.

Thank you again very very much
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Impressive profile.

Your new job sounds exciting. It should give you great exposure to understand what drives the industry, not to mention great opportunity to learn from senior corporate executives and government officials.

You have not mentioned your career goals. Having clarity on your career goals is a really critical component of a winning application. You would then select schools that can best support your goals and learning environment that help you excel. https://marveladmissions.com/the-power-i ... eer-goals/

Please feel free to reach out if you're interested in admissions consulting. https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Good luck!

Christine Lin

isacr wrote:
Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to look over this, I really really appreciate it. I'll try to be brief and to the point:

Personal Data: 25 year-old Romanian.

Undergraduate Studies: Graduated summa cum laude from liberal arts college (Dickinson College, PA) in May 2010, GPA: 3.84, Phi Beta Kappa, double major in Intl Business & French Culture and Civilization, studied abroad in Toulouse junior year (coursework exclusively in French), where I gained Certificate of Political Studies from the Political Studies Institute of Toulouse.

GMAT Score: 770 (Q50, V44)

Work Experience: 2& 1/2 years of work experience [Summer EU Internship during college (Brussels, Belgium), Internship Conflict Resolution NGO - work with UN entities (NY, US), E-learning Company Consultant and Sales (Bucharest, Romania), Top private-jet manufacturer internship, sales and marketing (Chester, UK)]

Current job: Industry Analyst (UK based company, series of 3-4 month long projects in foreign countries; industry specific reports on Mining, Oil & Gas, and Power industries that are featured in industry specific magazines with targeted readership 100,000+ readers) - I will be starting the job in a few days - meetings and interviews with gov officials and corporate execs in order to gain industry knowledge and produce final report.

Languages spoken: Romanian (native), English, French (very advanced)

Extracurricular: Classical guitar (used to compete), not that intense anymore; Theater (in high-school and college); Tennis, soccer (did not play however at college level)

Schools and Application: I will apply this year (Fall 2013) in order to start MBA full-time in Autumn 2014 (@ age 27) - at this point, I'm thinking Harvard, MIT, Columbia, NYU and INSEAD.

That's about it - I am very curious to see if I have any realistic chances of getting into these schools.

Thank you again very very much
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi Guys,

Have recently taken the GMAT and scored low (590). Just needed to know whether applying to the top schools like Dartmouth, Duke, Nus, Nanyang, HEC, HKUST would be possible.
I won't be applying for any financial aid.

I would be trying for the 2013 intake.

Male, 28, Indian
Work experience - 5 years.
3 years with a CA firm (not to pursue CA but to gain an in depth knowledge into finance).
2 years with 2 large MNCs.
1 year as a credit analyst.
1 year managing/coordinating Traveller cheque distribution in India.

I want to pursue an MBA in Marketing and request your assistance in giving me an idea whether I should go ahead and apply to the colleges mentioned.

Thanks a ton.
Shatrujit

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Shatrujit,

I would recommend studying and retake the GMAT if you are interested in getting an MBA from a top school. You can check your candidacy against the average GMAT scores for these schools. Your grades during college is another factor in the selection process, as well as clarity of career goals and being able to show leadership capabilities and transferrable skills for your post-MBA role.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

shatrujit wrote:
Hi Guys,

Have recently taken the GMAT and scored low (590). Just needed to know whether applying to the top schools like Dartmouth, Duke, Nus, Nanyang, HEC, HKUST would be possible.
I won't be applying for any financial aid.

I would be trying for the 2013 intake.

Male, 28, Indian
Work experience - 5 years.
3 years with a CA firm (not to pursue CA but to gain an in depth knowledge into finance).
2 years with 2 large MNCs.
1 year as a credit analyst.
1 year managing/coordinating Traveller cheque distribution in India.

I want to pursue an MBA in Marketing and request your assistance in giving me an idea whether I should go ahead and apply to the colleges mentioned.

Thanks a ton.
Shatrujit

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
I just had an interview for Kellogg and I am curious about others' opinion on my chances.

Background:
- 680 GMAT (48/35) / 101 TOEFL
- 5-year experience as a quant in an investment bank (derivatives quantitative modeling). It has 100 thousand employees worldwide
- I also have leadership experiences in this role
- Latin american Male
- Already applied for Round 2 for the 2013 intake
- 29 years
- Engineering (2006) from top latin-american school
- M.Sc. with honors in economics (in 2012) from top latin-american school while working full-time
- Paper published in the an USA conference in Finance
- No GPA
- Excellent community experiences (3 different experiences, 3.5 years total). For example: teacher of martial arts for poor children (1.5 years)
- Target: Kellogg in Finance (also applying to Cornell, Yale and Michigan). Already invited to interview for Yale
--> Main objective: M&A

The talk:
The interviewer is an alumnus and is the president of Kellogg's Alumni Club of my country and has a recommendation from Phillip Kotler. He is native in my language, but 100% of the interview was in English

He said in the e-mail that the talk should take 60-90 minutes, but it took 150 minutes (yes, 2.5 hours).

The interviewer mostly didn't ask much about the usual questions (walk me through your resume, blablabla).
He did ask why kellogg and what was my main objective.
The chat was awesome and he did say that he hoped to see me next month (when the admitted students meet themselves). To be honest, I think he said this from his heart (not just an elevator talk)
To my luck, we had a lot of things in common (for example, we both came from poor family of immigrants).

As he didn't arrive by car, I drove him home and we continued to talk along the way. He said informally that my English skill is well above the average of people he usually interviews.

So, what do you guys think?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Rainfall,

Sounds like you had a great interview experience. I understand you're just itching to know the final decision. Make sure you send a nice, professional thank you note (via email is fine), to thank him for his time and for his insights, etc, and restate that your interest in the school, and quickly sum up your strength/interests, and how you think the shcool would be a great fit.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Best of luck!

Christine Lin

rainfall wrote:
I just had an interview for Kellogg and I am curious about others' opinion on my chances.

Background:
- 5-year experience as a quant in an investment bank (derivatives quantitative modeling). It has 100 thousand employees worldwide
- Latin american Male
- 29 years
- M.Sc. with honors in economics (in 2012) from top latin-american school while working full-time
- No GPA
- Excellent community experiences (3 different experiences, 3.5 years total). For example: teacher of martial arts for poor children (1.5 years)
- Target: Kellogg in Finance (also applying to Cornell, Yale and Michigan). Already invited to interview for Yale

The talk:
The interviewer is an alumnus and is the president of Kellogg's Alumni Club of my country and has a recommendation from Phillip Kotler. He is native in my language, but 100% of the interview was in English

He said in the e-mail that the talk should take 60-90 minutes, but it took 150 minutes (yes, 2.5 hours).

The interviewer mostly didn't ask much about the usual questions (walk me through your resume, blablabla).
The chat was awesome and he did say that he hoped to see me next month (when the admitted students meet themselves). To be honest, I think he said this from his heart (not just an elevator talk)
To my luck, we had a lot of things in common (for example, we both came from poor family of immigrants).

As he didn't arrive by car, I drove him home and we continued to talk along the way. He said informally that my English skill is well above the average of people he usually interviews.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
MarvelAdmissions wrote:
Hi Rainfall,

Sounds like you had a great interview experience. I understand you're just itching to know the final decision. Make sure you send a nice, professional thank you note (via email is fine), to thank him for his time and for his insights, etc, and restate that your interest in the school, and quickly sum up your strength/interests, and how you think the shcool would be a great fit.

Best of luck!

Christine Lin

Hi Christine!

I've already done that :grin:
I thanked him for the talk and showed my true interest about the school.

He promptly replied, saying that he does hope that Kellogg admits me and he does support my cause.
He also said that my English skills are much better than most of applicants' skills

From what you saw, please be honest, in a scale from 0 to 100, what probability of success would you guess?
(please regard my full profile, not just the good interview)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I don't have a crystal ball, and I've not seen your entire application, but from what you've said, things look good for you.

I recommend you try not to think about it too much, and focus on the rest of your interview(s) for other schools.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

MarvelAdmissions wrote:
Hi Rainfall,

Best of luck!

Christine Lin

rainfall wrote:

Background:
- Latin american Male
- 29 years
- No GPA

The talk:

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15