Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:19 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Waitlist [#permalink]
speedingdaemon wrote:
i doubt that there are many who haven't introduced themselves on the facebook page.
i am guessing at most 5-7... i think even if Haas has admitted 40, it still leaves 220 slots to fill and hopefully 50+ of them will be engineers...
but then we already have 40+ engineers waitlisted in R1...

the way I see it is Haas part-time program has a bit of a monopoly for us Bay Area folks. Haas has no REAL competition locally, so they know we don't have options and we will likely continue to wait.

for instance, if stanford started a part-time mba program, I highly doubt Haas would have the luxury of using the waitlist so heavily.

After all, if I were the adcom, I'd also want to use the waitlist heavily so I can see more of the pool before I commit to any single engineering person.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
speedingdaemon wrote:
i doubt that there are many who haven't introduced themselves on the facebook page.
i am guessing at most 5-7... i think even if Haas has admitted 40, it still leaves 220 slots to fill and hopefully 50+ of them will be engineers...
but then we already have 40+ engineers waitlisted in R1...

the way I see it is Haas part-time program has a bit of a monopoly for us Bay Area folks. Haas has no REAL competition locally, so they know we don't have options and we will likely continue to wait.

for instance, if stanford started a part-time mba program, I highly doubt Haas would have the luxury of using the waitlist so heavily.

After all, if I were the adcom, I'd also want to use the waitlist heavily so I can see more of the pool before I commit to any single engineering person.

It also allows them to weed out the people from the Bay Area that also applied to a full time program.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
how confused would that person be? applying to both, full-time and part-time program in the same academic year...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:

That makes me think, why in the world would Stanford not have a part-time MBA program?
Do they think part-time MBA is not a good investment of ones time?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
how confused would that person be? applying to both, full-time and part-time program in the same academic year...

I thought so too but there's more than one person on here with Haas EWMBA and other FT programs in their profile. It's apparently a somewhat common thing for Bay Area residents.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

That makes me think, why in the world would Stanford not have a part-time MBA program?
Do they think part-time MBA is not a good investment of ones time?

Stanford doesn't even offer an undergraduate business degree. Some schools think it dilutes their brand. Whatever works for them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
so if you were to make an educated guess, how many of the approx 750 applicants also apply for FT MBA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
kayjay2012 wrote:
Science and Engg. dual major here. I am not sure which bucket Haas put me into - Feel like the Schrodinger's cat right now.

It depends on what you're doing for a living and what you told them you want to do after school. If you're doing research, you're in the science bucket. If you're coding software, you're in the engineering bucket.

That said, I don't think I've seen a single engineer on the facebook page yet. A couple scientists, a couple consultants, and a good number of people in business operations. It is possible they're waiting until R2 to make a decision on the engineers.

This is very good scoop. Kinda puts the whole thing in perspective.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
so if you were to make an educated guess, how many of the approx 750 applicants also apply for FT MBA?

I'd say 10-25% PT people would apply to FT programs too. First, I think a lot of the people applying to EWMBA will do well on the GMAT. I've heard the indian IT applicant to Haas has an average of 740 on the test.

Even with 730+, an applicant is already higher than Stanford's average GMAT at 726, and Stanford has the highest average in the world. Why not try?

Also, thinking of it backwards, how many FT applicants from the Bay Area use Haas EWMBA as their backup? For instance, "If I can't get into H/S/W, then maybe I'll stay at my job and do a part-time MBA at Haas". I presume at least some bay area folks would, despite how absurd it sounds to have Berkeley, one of the top institutions in the world, as a backup.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
Also, thinking of it backwards, how many FT applicants from the Bay Area use Haas EWMBA as their backup? For instance, "If I can't get into H/S/W, then maybe I'll stay at my job and do a part-time MBA at Haas". I presume at least some bay area folks would, despite how absurd it sounds to have Berkeley, one of the top institutions in the world, as a backup.

From what I understand, that's usually what happens. If they can't get in to H/S/W, EWMBA is the backup. Not quite sure why you'd want to do PT when you were trying for a FT program, but I've seen a few profiles on here like that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

From what I understand, that's usually what happens. If they can't get in to H/S/W, EWMBA is the backup. Not quite sure why you'd want to do PT when you were trying for a FT program, but I've seen a few profiles on here like that.

Well, I do understand that they might have applied to H/S/W FT programs and have kept EWMBA PT as a backup. But when I was thinking of whether to go for FT/PT, I had a lot of things to consider and choose from. Eventually, I decided that due to the scheme of things around me, PT is the way to go. Then came the easy question on which University will best help me get what I want out of an MBA.
The choices to make between a FT and a PT are very complex. I was not sure on how one could choose both. However, there are all sorts of folks out there and more power to them!
In any case, we will have approx 24% (62+) Engineering background students in the class of 2016.
I just want 1 out of those 62 seats! Am I asking for too much? ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
Well, I do understand that they might have applied to H/S/W FT programs and have kept EWMBA PT as a backup. But when I was thinking of whether to go for FT/PT, I had a lot of things to consider and choose from. Eventually, I decided that due to the scheme of things around me, PT is the way to go. Then came the easy question on which University will best help me get what I want out of an MBA.
The choices to make between a FT and a PT are very complex. I was not sure on how one could choose both. However, there are all sorts of folks out there and more power to them!
In any case, we will have approx 24% (62+) Engineering background students in the class of 2016.

Personally, I'd think they'd apply to the FT program, but that's as hard to get in to as HBS. EWMBA gets fewer applications so I guess they think it's easier to get in to. Who knows.

In any case, one more week until the next round of decisions come out.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
packet82 wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

We all want one of those seats. 62 feels small considering how many engineers I know and how many I can imagine have applied this year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
Good luck to all the waitlisted folks! The results may be out either today or tomorrow!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kenny0929 wrote:
Good luck to all the waitlisted folks! The results may be out either today or tomorrow!

I wouldn't wait by the phone today. Chances are it will be tomorrow or thursday.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
Kenny0929 wrote:

I wouldn't wait by the phone today. Chances are it will be tomorrow or thursday.

Yup. Most likely tomorrow.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GPA: 3.6
WE:Analyst (Retail)
Send PM
I'm not even on the w'list! so I probably shouldn't be here :p.. but anyhow.. we have a lot of ppl from either Computer science or engineering, I thought Hass looks for diversity, I haven’t seen anybody from a design background (besides me), some unheard life story like mine, great achievements at work for the past six years, great rec letter, pretty good GPA, but low Gmat.. so what they look at is your GMAT score! That’s sucks!! There is so much more :(
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts