Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 05:30 It is currently 06 May 2024, 05:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.03
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.07
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Corporate Finance (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Just an update: After multiple calls with Consuela Knox, Ive decided to matriculate to Emory. She said she went back to the committee and tried to get them to remove my condition knowing that I was accepted elsewhere with $$, but ultimately they did not. Consuela definitely understood my decision and she knows she was in a tough position to even explain to me that my admission is conditional knowing I had been accepted to Emory and given fellowship $$. Owen threw a lofty counter offer themselves, which was to pay for me to retake GMAT and have a finance professor do online tutor help. However, with no guarantees on fellowship money from Owen and no guarantees i'll do any better on the GMAT, I know I am making the right decision. I commend Consuela on her recruiting efforts (nothing but nice things to say about her). However, I did share my opinion on how it makes an applicant feel to be "admitted with condition(s)". I get it..they dropped in rankings...and now need to get high GMATs, high GPAs, etc to help them try and move back up but they may be losing some great candidates. If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a private message.

Wow, Congratulations on your Emory Acceptance and the Fellowship!! I can't wait to hear how the call to Vanderbilt goes. Hopefully, they're open to negotiating with you. Best Wishes!![/quote]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GPA: 3.19
Send PM
not sure if anyone else has seen the article, but apparently Dean Bradford is stepping down at the end of this academic year.

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2012/12/brad ... ping-down/

anybody have input on what this means for the program and should we be worried as the incoming class? thanks everyone
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbadreamers wrote:
not sure if anyone else has seen the article, but apparently Dean Bradford is stepping down at the end of this academic year.

anybody have input on what this means for the program and should we be worried as the incoming class? thanks everyone

I don't think we should be worried. I see it as more of an opportunity. By all accounts Dean Bradford did a great job, but I think bringing in fresh blood will be really good. Also, Dean Guthrie of the Law School is leading the search for Bradford's repalcement. Dean Guthrie is the man and has done a lot for the law school in his short time there. I think the Owen Deanship is an extremely attractive position that will get a lot of interest.
I also think that as the incoming class of 2015, we'll get a lot of access and exposure to the new Dean as we'll all be the "new guys" and learn from eachother.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks for the input brookstone...i figure it can go one of two ways. way up or way down. hoping its a positive change. i'm glad that dean guthrie is leading the efforts, though.

Brookstone wrote:
mbadreamers wrote:

I don't think we should be worried. I see it as more of an opportunity. By all accounts Dean Bradford did a great job, but I think bringing in fresh blood will be really good. Also, Dean Guthrie of the Law School is leading the search for Bradford's repalcement. Dean Guthrie is the man and has done a lot for the law school in his short time there. I think the Owen Deanship is an extremely attractive position that will get a lot of interest.
I also think that as the incoming class of 2015, we'll get a lot of access and exposure to the new Dean as we'll all be the "new guys" and learn from eachother.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Brookstone wrote:
mbadreamers wrote:

Vandy's Law Dean Guthrie taught my small twelve person freshman seminar titled dispute resolution. When my favorite professors and classes as an undergrad at Vandy come to mind, he's up there with Michael Burchum who taught my entrepreneurship and business plan courses. My favorite kinds of leading experts are the ones who can do a whole lot more than be hidden away doing research or rigidly compartmentalized to a single school within the university. Instead, the ones at Vandy can also teach intimate sized classes, interact with real students, and help a sister school replace great Deans.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.74
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Anybody from Round 3 receive a decision yet? Does Owen send out decisions before the 26th?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Owen '15 (M)
GPA: 3.67
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
CaliforniaIllini wrote:
Anybody from Round 3 receive a decision yet? Does Owen send out decisions before the 26th?

I would guess you could hear any time after April 16th, as that is the due date for deposits for the Round 2 admits. If Round 2 was any indication, the Friday before, which would be the 19th, was when the first people started hearing from admissions.

The waiting part is not much fun, but good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
CaliforniaIllini wrote:

FYI, I got full tuition scholarship last wednesday, only 4 hours after my interview. Hence, surely the decision came out before the deadline 26 April
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V38
GRE 1: Q158 V152

GRE 2: Q160 V155
GPA: 3.2
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
For those of you who were wondering about who the new Dean would be for Owen....his name is Eric Johnson!

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2013/04/eric ... owen-dean/

Currently, he's the Associate Dean for TUCK....so this is a HUGE get for Owen. This instantly makes Owen way more attractive and they will surely move up in ranking over the next few years (I'm guessing they'll at the very least move back into the top 25...and they'll have the potential to crack the top 20).

BTW, I got WL'ed for Round 3 (March 5th deadline)....and it looks like Vanderbilt has added a 4th deadline (May 15th)...anyone have any clue on what this will mean for students who are currently WL'ed?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.67
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I think you may be getting a little ahead of yourself ProfessorX. While I think this, at first glance, seems to be a good move, I'm not sure Owen will surely shoot up the rankings because of this hire. I look forward to meeting him this summer/fall and hope that he is able to maintain a lot of the things that drew me to Owen in the first place, while also adding some new ideas to make the school better. Looks like the Class of 2015 will be his guinea pigs for any new programming.

ProfessorX wrote:
For those of you who were wondering about who the new Dean would be for Owen....his name is Eric Johnson!

Currently, he's the Associate Dean for TUCK....so this is a HUGE get for Owen. This instantly makes Owen way more attractive and they will surely move up in ranking over the next few years (I'm guessing they'll at the very least move back into the top 25...and they'll have the potential to crack the top 20).

BTW, I got WL'ed for Round 3 (March 5th deadline)....and it looks like Vanderbilt has added a 4th deadline (May 15th)...anyone have any clue on what this will mean for students who are currently WL'ed?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
alexvv23 wrote:
I think you may be getting a little ahead of yourself ProfessorX. While I think this, at first glance, seems to be a good move, I'm not sure Owen will surely shoot up the rankings because of this hire. I look forward to meeting him this summer/fall and hope that he is able to maintain a lot of the things that drew me to Owen in the first place, while also adding some new ideas to make the school better. Looks like the Class of 2015 will be his guinea pigs for any new programming.

ProfessorX wrote:

Agreed. I'm certainly excited to welcome Eric back to Owen and I think it's great to have a leader who knows the school (as former faculty member) and has cut his teeth as an associate dean at a great brand like Tuck... but this isn't going to propel Owen in the ratings just on name alone. It's an awesome hire and I'm really pumped they found someone so well qualified. At Welcome Weekend they said they had made an offer to their #1 choice... so I would assume that was Eric, based on the timing of the announcement.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Has anyone else other than the poster above heard from Owen about round 3 decisions yet?

Deadline is two days away and going by previous rounds, admit calls/e-mails should have started going out 2-3 days ago.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V35
GMAT 2: 650 Q39 V39
GPA: 2.91
WE:Consulting (Real Estate)
Send PM
Admitted Friday, April 19th (1 week before deadline). The admissions person who interviewed me sent me an email that morning asking if I had time for a quick call that day. Of course I obliged and was given the good news that I had been admitted over the phone that afternoon. Looking forward to joining the Owen community!! As far as the MyOwen page, my status is still listed as Vanderbilt MBA Application Status: Complete
Your application is compl.....
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.74
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I was admitted Thursday. My interviewer also called me. Good luck!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Offered waitlist....Really bummed...Maybe the mention of a Duke admit and a small scholarship did not go well with the adcom, who knows...

Anyways, anyone knows how does Owen treats its wait list?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
does anyone know how Owen handles the verification process? i know on the myowen page it says they will verify all test scores/transcripts after May 15th. do you know if they do background check or verification of other materials besides test scores and transcripts? also, do you know if they use a third party vendor to verify all the information or is it just adcom?

i also wonder how long it takes them to verify and if we will get notification that we are 110% in. any input, anyone? thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 3.43
Send PM
I have a question for those of you that took the GRE--I'm trying to submit my official score report for verification, and on Owen's website it says the department code is 02 but I can't find that department code! (all of the codes are 4 digits, and none of the codes ending or beginning in 02 look like they're applicable to Owen).

If Vandy has already verified your GRE score please let me know which department code you used! Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts