Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:48 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Official GMAC Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
H: B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-31-2013
Send PM
Re: Post Your Questions to GMAC Official Representative Here [#permalink]
Dear Rebecca

I was trying to gather more information about the scoring of the Analytical Writing Assessment. The only information available in the GMAT Handbook was as follows:
    Scoring: 0.0-6.0
    Each essay is scored at least twice, once by a human reader and once by a computer. The scores are all averaged to provide one section score, reported in intervals of 0.5.
Computer Score: c
Human Score: h
\(Reported Score = \frac{c+h}{2}\)

Could you please elaborate more on your scoring methodology and how you arrived at the score. e.g if I were to lay the following intervals for you. What makes the essay fall in the intervals below ?

0.0 - 0.5
0.5 - 1.0
1.0 - 1.5
2.0 - 2.5
2.5 - 3.0
3.0 - 3.5
4.0 - 4.0
4.0 - 4.5
4.5 - 5.0
5.0 - 5.5
5.5 - 6.0

Thank you in advance.
Send PM
Expert Reply
hb wrote:
Dear Rebecca

I was trying to gather more information about the scoring of the Analytical Writing Assessment. The only information available in the GMAT Handbook was as follows:
    Each essay is scored at least twice, once by a human reader and once by a computer. The scores are all averaged to provide one section score, reported in intervals of 0.5.

Could you please elaborate more on your scoring methodology and how you arrived at the score. e.g if I were to lay the following intervals for you. What makes the essay fall in the intervals below ?

0.0 - 0.5
0.5 - 1.0
1.0 - 1.5
2.0 - 2.5
2.5 - 3.0
3.0 - 3.5
4.0 - 4.0
4.0 - 4.5
4.5 - 5.0
5.0 - 5.5
5.5 - 6.0

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for the question! As you noted, your AWA is scored twice-once via our scoring software, and once by a trained AWA evaluator. Your final score is the average of those two scores, so the .5 would indicate an averaging of two full-point scores. For that reason, there is no prescriptive instructions that would differentiate .5 differences in score. Please note that if there is more than a one point difference in the two score, your essay would be put under review to ensure the score you get is accurate and fair. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OfficialGMAT wrote:
hb wrote:
Dear Rebecca

0.0 - 0.5
0.5 - 1.0
1.0 - 1.5
2.0 - 2.5
2.5 - 3.0
3.0 - 3.5
4.0 - 4.0
4.0 - 4.5
4.5 - 5.0
5.0 - 5.5
5.5 - 6.0

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for the question! As you noted, your AWA is scored twice-once via our scoring software, and once by a trained AWA evaluator. Your final score is the average of those two scores, so the .5 would indicate an averaging of two full-point scores. For that reason, there is no prescriptive instructions that would differentiate .5 differences in score. Please note that if there is more than a one point difference in the two score, your essay would be put under review to ensure the score you get is accurate and fair. Good luck!

Your answer does not answer my question. Thank You anyways.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATPrep® Question Pack 1: Extend your free GMATPrep® software download with this pack of 404 questions and answer explanations
https://www.mba.com/store/store-catalog/gmat-preparation/gmatprep-question-pack-1.aspx

Rebecca,

Can you please confirm that the questions in the GMATPrep® Questions Pack 1 are different from the The Official Guide for GMAT® Review, 13th Edition ?
Thanks.
Send PM
Expert Reply
hb wrote:
GMATPrep® Question Pack 1: Extend your free GMATPrep® software download with this pack of 404 questions and answer explanations
https://www.mba.com/store/store-catalog/gmat-preparation/gmatprep-question-pack-1.aspx

Rebecca,

Can you please confirm that the questions in the GMATPrep® Questions Pack 1 are different from the The Official Guide for GMAT® Review, 13th Edition ?
Thanks.

None of the questions used in the GMATPrep Question Pack 1 have been used in any other Official GMAT prep products, including The Offiical Guide for GMAT Review. Thanks for asking!

Rebecca
Send PM
Expert Reply
quantumdots wrote:
Hi

I took my GMAT on 22 July 2013. My profile on MBA.com shows that the Score is reportable, but I haven't received a link to the official score nor can I access it through the MBA.com website.

Is this common?

Thanks
QD

Hello, QD. My apologies for not answering this sooner. Your score will not be acessible through mba.com. You will be sent a secure link and access code to receive your score. It may take up to 24 hours from your score being listed as "reportable" on mba.com and you receiving the secure code. If you still have not received the code, please let me know and I will help you with that.

Rebecca
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Hi Rebecca,
Could you please let me know whether the samples for Analysis of Argument, available on your site https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/test-structure-and-overview/analytical-writing-assessment-section unders the header 'Current Analytical Writing Assessment Topics' are the only topics we'll be presented with during GMAT?

Does that mean this list is exhausted and we can expect any one of these arguments (may be with slight modification) in actual GMAT?

Much appreciate your feedback.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi Rebecca,
Is there any rescheduling-fee waiver available for GMAT?

Send PM
Expert Reply
bagdbmba wrote:
Hi Rebecca,

Hello, Bagdmba. Unfortunately, we do not typically offer fee-waivers for rescheduling the GMAT exam. In some extraordinairy circumstances, such as extreme weather or severe illness, the fee can be waived. You would need to contact Pearson Vue to discuss your individual situation. You can find the contact information for your area here: https://www.mba.com/service/contact-us.aspx

Good luck!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
OfficialGMAT wrote:
bagdbmba wrote:
Hi Rebecca,

Hello, Bagdmba. Unfortunately, we do not typically offer fee-waivers for rescheduling the GMAT exam. In some extraordinairy circumstances, such as extreme weather or severe illness, the fee can be waived. You would need to contact Pearson Vue to discuss your individual situation. You can find the contact information for your area here: https://www.mba.com/service/contact-us.aspx

Good luck!

Thanks Rebecca!

I'd much appreciate if you could take out a minute to reply to my another post just above this one on 'AWA samples'.
Send PM
Expert Reply
bagdbmba wrote:
Hi Rebecca,
Could you please let me know whether the samples for Analysis of Argument, available on your site https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/test-structure-and-overview/analytical-writing-assessment-section unders the header 'Current Analytical Writing Assessment Topics' are the only topics we'll be presented with during GMAT?

Does that mean this list is exhausted and we can expect any one of these arguments (may be with slight modification) in actual GMAT?

The list you see on mba.com is the complete lists of AWA topics for the GMAT exam. The AWA question prompt you will be presented with will be selected from that topic list. Good luck!

Rebecca
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi Rebecca,
This is a clarification regarding the GPA system

I was recently registering for my GMAT and while doing so i came across this GPA conversion table given on mba.com.
We are required to convert our equivalent GPA on scale of 4 using given conversions.

Please refer to this link..

https://www.mba.com/~/media/Images/mba/N ... rsion1.jpg

I am a graduate from india and in our country we have absolute percentage system..
I scored 79.7% in Graduation course...
By converting it on 4 GPA a scale using the above table my equivalent GPA comes out to be 2.9 :( and this puts me in the third passing Grade :( ...which is definitely not true and i am very disappointed with that because according to our university grading i am among the top 10% performers of my class, according to which i am in the first passing grade...

This is really a very unfair and biased method of GPA calculation...

So i was wondering that how much impact does this GPA makes when we give a certain number while registering for GMAT on mba.com...

Another thing how will i be able to calculate my true GPA which justifies my score...

So please help me out here and tell me what should i mention in my GPA column while registering for GMAT..

Your comments and suggestions in this regard will be a great help...

Thanks and Regards.. :) :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
AvengerGmat wrote:
Hi Rebecca,
This is a clarification regarding the GPA system

I was recently registering for my GMAT and while doing so i came across this GPA conversion table given on mba.com.
We are required to convert our equivalent GPA on scale of 4 using given conversions.

Please refer to this link..

https://www.mba.com/~/media/Images/mba/N ... rsion1.jpg

I am a graduate from india and in our country we have absolute percentage system..
I scored 79.7% in Graduation course...
By converting it on 4 GPA a scale using the above table my equivalent GPA comes out to be 2.9 :( and this puts me in the third passing Grade :( ...which is definitely not true and i am very disappointed with that because according to our university grading i am among the top 10% performers of my class, according to which i am in the first passing grade...

This is really a very unfair and biased method of GPA calculation...

So i was wondering that how much impact does this GPA makes when we give a certain number while registering for GMAT on mba.com...

Another thing how will i be able to calculate my true GPA which justifies my score...

So please help me out here and tell me what should i mention in my GPA column while registering for GMAT..

Your comments and suggestions in this regard will be a great help...

Thanks and Regards.. :) :)

Hello, AvengerGmat!

The GPA conversion chart is for your personal information only. It does not factor into your GMAT score or registration process in any way, nor do schools use that tool when evaluating your application. Most business schools have formal process in place for comparing undergraduate performance among students from non-US countries. You would need to reach out to individual schools you are interested in to learn more information about how they calculate undergraduate performance, but they do not use the score scale chart on mbac.com. I hope that addresses your concerns.

Rebecca
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6049 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
GMAC announced earlier this year that it would release an Exam pack 1. Has GMAC decided on an official date when the Exam pack will be released or nothing has been finalized?
Send PM
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:
GMAC announced earlier this year that it would release an Exam pack 1. Has GMAC decided on an official date when the Exam pack will be released or nothing has been finalized?

Hi, Fozzzy! We plan to release the Exam pack this fall, but do not have an exact release date yet. I will keep you posted!

Rebecca
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi Rebecca,
Could you please let me know what could happen if either during the test (re MOCK GMAT tests from GMAT Prep SW) or at the time of intermediate break of 8 minutes, if there is an unexpected system crash or power failure or network disruptions, then what will happen to my test and will I be able to carry out the same test where I let off, once normalcy is restored?

And also how to deal with this sort of situation during REAL GMAT?

Send PM
Expert Reply
bagdbmba wrote:
Hi Rebecca,
Could you please let me know what could happen if either during the test (re MOCK GMAT tests from GMAT Prep SW) or at the time of intermediate break of 8 minutes, if there is an unexpected system crash or power failure or network disruptions, then what will happen to my test and will I be able to carry out the same test where I let off, once normalcy is restored?

And also how to deal with this sort of situation during REAL GMAT?

Thanks for the questions, bb! I'll start with your second one. If your computer screen freezes during the REAL GMAT exam, an incident report will be filed. These situations are handled on a case-by-case basis, so I can't tell you exactly how it would be handled. It would depend on how long your screen was frozen, and what, if any, affect it had on your timing.

If your computer freezes while taking a practice exam on GMATPrep, please send an email to gmatprep@mba.com and someone will work with you to get the issue fixed. I could not tell you without a specific scenario, whether it would deduct time off of your test, or otherwise affect your practice score.

Thanks!

Rebecca
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  29