Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 03:03 It is currently 03 May 2024, 03:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.09
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Olin (WUSTL) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Hi, Vips0000, it's really nice to have you here and highly appreciated that you can answer my questions as blow:

1. which course do you think is most impressive in Olin till now? and how about the study load? Do you feel that you have sufficient time to broaden and deepen your network?

2. I wanna to take the platform in marketing, so how about Olin's reputation in marketing in Midwest area? I know they have super strong influence in finance.

Look forward to hear from you.

Have a nice day~

Oliver
Current Student
Send PM
oliverlok wrote:
Hi, Vips0000, it's really nice to have you here and highly appreciated that you can answer my questions as blow:

1. which course do you think is most impressive in Olin till now? and how about the study load? Do you feel that you have sufficient time to broaden and deepen your network?

2. I wanna to take the platform in marketing, so how about Olin's reputation in marketing in Midwest area? I know they have super strong influence in finance.

Have a nice day~
Oliver

Quite frankly, the workload is super heavy in first semester in most of the b-schools, and Olin is no exception. You'll have continuous assignments, quizzes, exams, seminars etc and there are time when you'll have to make difficult choices too. But, I think thats the part of the b-school experience. You are going to be super busy after school and will have to make trade-offs every now and then.
Having said that, one thing that everyone puts most emphasis on is networking. There are tons of opportunities to network with Alums, industry speakers, second years and other WashU students. You'd probably be surprised to know that we (international students) got to meet alums before even the official GO! program started.
You are right in stating that Olin's reputation (and placements too) is primarily in finance. Marketing, consulting and Supply chain are respected but arguably not as great in terms of placements. Again- thing to note here is, the first job opportunity at campus (that we learnt about within 15 days of program start) was for marketing.
Also- Olin is a HUGE brand name in St Louis region.

One frustrating thing however is, because the undergrad program is so well reputed nationally (is considered along with the likes of Yale, Princeton etc), there are times when Super Elite companies (Ones that you'd kill to work with) come to campus only to recruit undergrads and that makes you feel like $hit.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Vips0000 wrote:
oliverlok wrote:

Have a nice day~
Oliver

Quite frankly, the workload is super heavy in first semester in most of the b-schools, and Olin is no exception. You'll have continuous assignments, quizzes, exams, seminars etc and there are time when you'll have to make difficult choices too. But, I think thats the part of the b-school experience. You are going to be super busy after school and will have to make trade-offs every now and then.
Having said that, one thing that everyone puts most emphasis on is networking. There are tons of opportunities to network with Alums, industry speakers, second years and other WashU students. You'd probably be surprised to know that we (international students) got to meet alums before even the official GO! program started.
You are right in stating that Olin's reputation (and placements too) is primarily in finance. Marketing, consulting and Supply chain are respected but arguably not as great in terms of placements. Again- thing to note here is, the first job opportunity at campus (that we learnt about within 15 days of program start) was for marketing.
Also- Olin is a HUGE brand name in St Louis region.

One frustrating thing however is, because the undergrad program is so well reputed nationally (is considered along with the likes of Yale, Princeton etc), there are times when Super Elite companies (Ones that you'd kill to work with) come to campus only to recruit undergrads and that makes you feel like $hit.

Wooooow! Tks a lot for this insightful and detailed response. It did help a lot to figure the big picture of MBA life in Olin. I really like the network atmoshphere that you mentioned, and it is quite helpful for international students like us. The frustrating part did suprised me. Once I think the fame of undergraduate will help the MBA in job seeking as well. Thanks for reminding me of that.

I gonna submit the application in this week, and wish me good luck ! LoL~`

Thanks again for your great help
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Vips0000 wrote:
Not sure if there are many applicants... But, now that I'm at Olin, I am available for any questions you may have... I shall try to answer or get the answers..

Hi Vips.. Would like to know if the TOEFL score is a mandatory requirement at the time of submitting application. I may not get a TOEFL date before 1st Oct. Can i submit the application and fwd the TOEFL score later?
Current Student
Send PM
ahujasumit wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Not sure if there are many applicants... But, now that I'm at Olin, I am available for any questions you may have... I shall try to answer or get the answers..

Hi Vips.. Would like to know if the TOEFL score is a mandatory requirement at the time of submitting application. I may not get a TOEFL date before 1st Oct. Can i submit the application and fwd the TOEFL score later?

You might as well get a waiver.. .Check out the college website for more information and your eligibility.. :wink:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MENSA India
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V32
GMAT 3: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 4: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Vips0000,

Thank you for the great information on Olin. Are you aware of any McDonnell Academy Fellow from India? Are you one? Just wanted to get an insider view on it, since I am from JNU.

Am trying to frantically manage the October 1st deadline and it's very encouraging to see you active on this forum.
Have a great evening!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Schools: Olin '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Received Interview invite on 25th. Applied on 21st sept. they are really very fast :o anyone else received anything?

Originally posted by tarunsengar on 27 Sep 2013, 00:24.
Last edited by tarunsengar on 27 Sep 2013, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MENSA India
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V32
GMAT 3: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 4: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Great to hear that TarunSengar. I will also apply over the weekend.
Talked to Allison Cohn, a student Ambassador and she also mentioned they are really quick to respond.
Good luck with the interview!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
themagus wrote:
Talked to Allison Cohn, a student Ambassador and she also mentioned they are really quick to respond.

Thanks themagus. I have interview on 1st oct. in last post it is 21st sept :/ best of luck to u also.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tarunsengar wrote:
themagus wrote:

Thanks themagus. I have interview on 1st oct. in last post it is 21st sept :/ best of luck to u also.

Hi, tarunsengar, I also get the interview on 4th Oct, and appreciate if you could share your interview exp, Lol.

Btw, do you know how to check the application status? Because other schools have sent an ID of their system to check the status, but I did not receive any from Olin.

Best luck for your coming interview
Manager
Manager
Send PM
oliverlok wrote:
Hi, tarunsengar, I also get the interview on 4th Oct, and appreciate if you could share your interview exp, Lol.

Btw, do you know how to check the application status? Because other schools have sent an ID of their system to check the status, but I did not receive any from Olin.

Hi
You can check on the same portal where you applied. Though for me it is still showing Application Under Review.

and Thanks..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tarunsengar wrote:
oliverlok wrote:

Hi
You can check on the same portal where you applied. Though for me it is still showing Application Under Review.

and Thanks..

All right, got it ~~ tks a lot
Intern
Intern
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hey, i have submitted my application on 25th Sept and still haven't received an interview call. From what I read above they inform pretty quickly and two of them have already received an interview call. Does this mean that I might not get an interview call?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
akshayarora88 wrote:
Hey, i have submitted my application on 25th Sept and still haven't received an interview call. From what I read above they inform pretty quickly and two of them have already received an interview call. Does this mean that I might not get an interview call?

I guess it depends upon the number of applications received. Now R1 deadline is approaching so they might be having good number of applications to review.

I am done with my interview.
Intern
Intern
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
tarunsengar wrote:
akshayarora88 wrote:

I guess it depends upon the number of applications received. Now R1 deadline is approaching so they might be having good number of applications to review.

How was your interview? what were the questions asked?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
akshayarora88 wrote:
tarunsengar wrote:
akshayarora88 wrote:

How was your interview? what were the questions asked?

No idea how it went. I was little bit nervous :( Interviewer was nice. Questions were general like professional background, Why MBA, Why Olin, what motivates you, Hobbies, Any leadership role, How you manage your team.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, tarunsengar, tks for your kind sharing about the interview exp. It help me a lot. Best wish for you to get admitted quite soon~~
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts