Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:53 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Status:If u've ego, u've reached ur limit; if ur humble u've no limit.
Affiliations: IIT
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
guys, I was just looking through the darden app and I dont find the 150 word learning team question anywhere- just the 250 word learning team question and 250 word short term goals question in addition to the 500 word main question. Have I missed looking some place?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vibhav wrote:
guys, I was just looking through the darden app and I dont find the 150 word learning team question anywhere- just the 250 word learning team question and 250 word short term goals question in addition to the 500 word main question. Have I missed looking some place?

Hi Vibhav,

This year's question is 250 words. Last year, it was 150 words. Hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Anyone thought about how they're formatting (if at all?) their essays when pasting in the text box? I'd hate to submit one gigantic block of text, but I'd also hate to have very screwy formatting from my attempts to fix it...

Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
What are Darden's specialties? Do they place people in investment banking and/or corporate finance?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
dave785 wrote:
What are Darden's specialties? Do they place people in investment banking and/or corporate finance?

Hi Dave785,

Darden's tight-knit community provides ample opportunity to network with companies in IB and Corporate Finance. Although Charlottesville isn't one of the major metropolitan areas of the US, we have no problem bringing recruiters & alumni to grounds (campus). Our Alumni and our Career Development Center are committed to placing Darden Students in top firms. In fact, last week, all the major banks (JPM, GS, MS, & more) were all on Grounds recruiting our students. Overall, we do a great job placing students in these firms.
Darden School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
I attended the Darden info session in Bangalore yesterday evening. The session kicked off with a small simulation of a typical Darden Case Classroom simulation. It was awesome to see the different perspectives within a small group typically from a similar background. I can now only imagine what it would be like to sit in a global classroom at Darden. Darden reinforced.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
amitkpandey wrote:
I attended the Darden info session in Bangalore yesterday evening. The session kicked off with a small simulation of a typical Darden Case Classroom simulation. It was awesome to see the different perspectives within a small group typically from a similar background. I can now only imagine what it would be like to sit in a global classroom at Darden. Darden reinforced.

that's so cool man... i wanted to attend but missed it due to work exigency. can you share your experiences plz
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kunzi wrote:
amitkpandey wrote:

that's so cool man... i wanted to attend but missed it due to work exigency. can you share your experiences plz

Hi Kunzi,

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmm0WgLuyHg - the case-method is an awesome learning method!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
thanx gatortomba !

gatortomba wrote:
kunzi wrote:
amitkpandey wrote:

Hi Kunzi,

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmm0WgLuyHg - the case-method is an awesome learning method!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
If you're aren't already, you should start attending the Wednesday admissions chat's Darden does: https://connect.darden.virginia.edu/admissions

This week's can be viewed here: https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admiss ... plication/
Darden wrote:
Question: I am interested in applying to Darden’s full-time MBA, and I was wondering if professional work experience is required.

Answer: While professional work experience is not a requirement for admission, the reality is that it is unusual for us to admit a candidate with less than 2 years of work experience (2 years at the time of starting classes).

Question: Even though the Round 2 deadline is on 7 January, I was wondering if there were certain advantages to get applications in earlier on a rolling basis (first in, first out).

Answer: Actually, we do not begin reading applications more than a few days before a given deadline date, so there might be a small advantage to an early application, but not much of an advantage.

Question: Is there anywhere on the application in which you can identify alumni and current students you have reached out to in order to learn more about Darden? Or is that not encouraged and rather just put the information in your essays?

Answer: You are welcome to use the”Additional Information” area of the application to make mention of your alumni and student contacts. I would take the angle of describing useful information/encouragement/career progress, etc. they have provided — don’t just be a “name-dropper.”

Question: I was wondering how similar/different the content is between U.Va. McIntire’s undergraduate business programs and Darden’s MBA programs?

Answer: You get a taste of the case method at McIntire, which is an advantage for you. Darden is certainly not a do-over of McIntire. You would find our curriculum much broader and strategically oriented. At Darden, nearly all classes are taught using the case method. There are some courses, particularly Second Year, that are more experiential.

Question: Looking at events inside and outside Charlottesville, it doesn’t look feasible for me to attend. Besides the website, what are the best ways to get to know the program?

Answer: I would recommend you make contact with some of our current students. If you will check out the “Life at Darden” area of our website, you will find links to many of our clubs. Quite a few are career related, and nearly all clubs have specific students’ emails listed just so prospective students can reach out to them.

Question: I will be applying through the Consortium and was wondering if I needed to submit my name to U.Va. in any form or if it’s all through the Consortium. Thanks in advance.

Answer: The application process is almost entirely done through the Consortium; Once you submit your application, they will send us your information. If you are chosen for an interview, Darden will contact you directly. Still, send your information to Darden as well. The advantage is that you will receive monthly messages from us on a variety of topics we believe will be of interest to you and other candidates.

Question: Would you consider research work for a graduate degree as a work experience?

Answer: We probably would not recognize traditional academic research as employment, but we would likely recognize lab and/or teaching.

Question: For the executive MBA formats, How much emphasis do you place on recent work experience vs academics that were so long ago?

Answer: Our students find that most of what they have to contribute in the classroom is from their work experiences. Though in the application review process, we do look at both prior academic performance and work experience.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
hamm0 wrote:
Anyone thought about how they're formatting (if at all?) their essays when pasting in the text box? I'd hate to submit one gigantic block of text, but I'd also hate to have very screwy formatting from my attempts to fix it...

Thoughts?

Anyone know? Deadline is coming up, and I'm still not sure what to do about this. I guess I'll email the adcom team..
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Does anybody know if there is a way to change the order of listed activities within the application to show the order of importance?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Kudos
hamm0 wrote:
hamm0 wrote:

Thoughts?

Anyone know? Deadline is coming up, and I'm still not sure what to do about this. I guess I'll email the adcom team..

Hey,

You can put in spaces and line breaks inside the text box. Once you press continue, you have an option to preview your essay. You then have a choice to delete or replace or save the essay. So you can easily reformat your essay I guess.

I hope your essay(and all others) is coming along good. Thought of only one essay makes me really nervous. I have two good stories to tell but not sure which one will be most meaningful at Darden. So writing both. I have to choose one based on how they turnout. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks,
Prodizy
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
WhattheFuqua wrote:
Does anybody know if there is a way to change the order of listed activities within the application to show the order of importance?

I don't think there is a way to do this. But I don't worry too much about it though. Admissions folks are doing this from so long, they would get it easily. However it's a great suggestion though. May be you can change that next year when you are part of Darden community :)

Best,
Prodizy

Originally posted by prodizy on 12 Oct 2013, 02:16.
Last edited by prodizy on 12 Oct 2013, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
WhattheFuqua wrote:

Okeh IMO you can arrange the activities for the extra curriculars during undergrad since it is one big text box. For the activities after graduation, the form is sequencing the activities based on the date of commencement of your participation in that activity- You can't change it. Darden has decided they want chronology.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Application Submitted. Now wait starts :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
prodizy wrote:
hamm0 wrote:
hamm0 wrote:

Thoughts?

Hey,

You can put in spaces and line breaks inside the text box. Once you press continue, you have an option to preview your essay. You then have a choice to delete or replace or save the essay. So you can easily reformat your essay I guess.

I hope your essay(and all others) is coming along good. Thought of only one essay makes me really nervous. I have two good stories to tell but not sure which one will be most meaningful at Darden. So writing both. I have to choose one based on how they turnout. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks,
Prodizy

Thanks! :o
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  40   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts