Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 22:07 It is currently 02 May 2024, 22:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1014 [5]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72981 [0]
Given Kudos: 18906
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1014 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [4]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Mapping Economist Simulated Test Score to Actual GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Transcendentalist wrote:
Any test takers have done this yet? Do you know how difficult or easy is this test in comparison to the actual one?

I feel the Quant section (both PS and DS) is a little more logic driven and less calculation intensive than the real GMAT; therefore, the difficulty level, compared with the GMAT, will be largely dependent on how comfortable you are between applying logic, breaking down complicated statements to simpler equations, and doing hard core calculation intensive maths. The Verbal section is a little bit more difficult than the real thing - RC is way harder while CR and SC are closer, but still harder, to the real GMAT. How the test scores apply to the real GMAT is something I will probably be able to guess in a few weeks time after I take the real GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1014 [0]
Send PM
knightofdelta wrote:
Transcendentalist wrote:
Any test takers have done this yet? Do you know how difficult or easy is this test in comparison to the actual one?

I feel the Quant section (both PS and DS) is a little more logic driven and less calculation intensive than the real GMAT; therefore, the difficulty level, compared with the GMAT, will be largely dependent on how comfortable you are between applying logic, breaking down complicated statements to simpler equations, and doing hard core calculation intensive maths. The Verbal section is a little bit more difficult than the real thing - RC is way harder while CR and SC are closer, but still harder, to the real GMAT. How the test scores apply to the real GMAT is something I will probably be able to guess in a few weeks time after I take the real GMAT.

I agree with you on both counts. I found the quant to be a tad easier than what i am normally used to on the manhattan/kaplan/Gmatclub 700 material.

Verbal was just brutal especially the RC. This was the first passage i got (by-identifying-stable-isotopes-of-carbon-12-in-human-tissue-155938.html) and i got all of them wrong. This was the first CAT i did and am wondering how to read the Q50, V41 score (Missed the last 3 ones on Q since i ran out of time). Please do post once you do take the real GMAT.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3160 [1]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Any feed backs about the course.

I am looking it as an option.

Plz Advise !

Rgds,
TGC!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4327 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
i took this test today.

score: 750 (q50/v44)

quant:(13 wrong)
few questions were really good but didnt felt that it was adaptive ..
with 13 wrong and score 50 it was little weird.
overall i will say its a good practice.

verbal:(16 wrong):
the questions i felt were really good and test also has some good passages.
verbal i will say almost level of gmat prep .
again with 16 wrong and getting a score of 44 is little awkward.

pros:
=good question bank overall.
=userfriendly site.
=great explanation in the end with some good strategies.

cons:
=scoring pattern not accurate.(IMO deduct 50 from your score to judge your level)
=explanation for few questions were missing.
=few of the questions are already out their in the forum.

hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
blueseas wrote:
i took this test today.

score: 750 (q50/v44)

quant:(13 wrong)
few questions were really good but didnt felt that it was adaptive ..
with 13 wrong and score 50 it was little weird.
overall i will say its a good practice.

verbal:(16 wrong):
the questions i felt were really good and test also has some good passages.
verbal i will say almost level of gmat prep .
again with 16 wrong and getting a score of 44 is little awkward.

pros:
=good question bank overall.
=userfriendly site.
=great explanation in the end with some good strategies.

cons:
=scoring pattern not accurate.(IMO deduct 50 from your score to judge your level)
=explanation for few questions were missing.
=few of the questions are already out their in the forum.

hope it helps

Whoa!! 50 points deduction? I think you are underestimating your abilities. I scored a 750 on GMAT Prep was able to hit only 710 on the Economist.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I got 530 as an over all score.

Q 44 V 20

Total Wrong in Q - 16 Though I ran out of time in last 5 question - all of them are incorrect.
Total Wrong in V - 17 Though I finished it well before the time - couple of minutes earlier.
I got 8 question wrong in RC.

Well I found the scoring is bit weird with economist CAT.

Anyone any thoughts about it??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Hi Transcendentalist,

I took the Economist GMAT test last night, and got the same score as you. Looks like we're scoring fairly similar. Below are the scores of the practice tests I've taken. I still plan on taking the rest of my Kaplans (got 3 more) plus the offical GMATprep ones before I take my exam, which I'm planning to schedule sometime in October. Mind if you share what you get on the GMATs? Thanks!

8/27, Kaplan 1 - 710, Q51, V29
9/14, Kaplan 2 - 750, Q51, V33
9/17, Manhattan - 690, Q48, V36
9/21, Economist - 730, Q50, V41
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 2.3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Does anyone have more insights to it? Let us get more data on this test so that people can ascertain that whether the Economist GMAT test is gaining popularity just because of the fairly easy questions, compared with those in MGMAT, Kaplan and to an extent in GMAT Prep, that people get, and subsequently the score in the 700s or because of some other factors. I think that it is fairly conceivable to deduct around 20-30 points from the score that you get on this test as the AWA and IR are missing.

Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Transcendentalist wrote:

I used Econ GMAT course. I'm taking the test on Wednesday. Will let you know.

For now, practice tests:

Econ Gmat
740 (Q50 V42)
730 (Q50 V41)

Gmat Prep
740 (Q49 V43)
760 (Q49 V46)

Again, the real thing is in a couple days so I'll post an update in the debrief if not here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think it is grossly over estimating scores.
I started preparing for gmat just two weeks back.
740;(50/42)
The reason why i say it is inflated coz i left last 8 questions and it marked everything as wrong n still gave me 740. No chance.

Need to improve my timing
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72981 [0]
Given Kudos: 18906
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
corporateguy wrote:
I think it is grossly over estimating scores.
I started preparing for gmat just two weeks back.
740;(50/42)
The reason why i say it is inflated coz i left last 8 questions and it marked everything as wrong n still gave me 740. No chance.

Need to improve my timing

I agree. It should not have given you 52 on verbal with 8 unanswered. Per GMAC, you lose about 3 percentile points per unanswered question so the highest you could get in verbal would have been 76th percentile, not 42.

Posted from my mobile device.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [5]
Send PM
Kudos