Last visit was: 30 Apr 2024, 03:25 It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 03:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
How did you prepare finally? Was your prep successful?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, please tell us what you decided.

Jillian
MBA Ivy Consulting
https://www.MBAIvyLeague.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi everyone. I have looked over the posted GMAT Club study plans. I see myself in between Novice and Advanced GMAT Takers. I have taken 3 times GMAT test. First time, I relied on The Official Guide for GMAT® Review, 13th Edition for about month. Score was epic fail. Second time, I joined The Princeton Review Prep Course. The result was another fail 350. Third time, I reviewed The Official Guide for GMAT® Verbal Review and The Official Guide for GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2nd Edition. Another third fail.
I admitted that I have made mistakes during my study:
1) Not visiting GMAT Club website until today
2) Not asking former test takers.
3) Not taking full time test practice
4) Timing is problem. (Finishing only one third of questions for every exam part)
5) Not sticking to scheduled plan

I score 25 to 30 in math but 12 to 18 in verbal section.

I do not want to waste my time and money again. I trust and see myself scoring above 6oo, especially I am an A student, pilot, engineer, and have passed difficult exams.

I do not want to lose my scholarship. Please help me :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Come on guys! I need a help start a plan based on your experince
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Send PM
Dear Omar,

it seems that timing is your biggest weakness.

In this case it makes no sense to visit another class course. To watch a video course is also not very helpful in your articular situation.

To address your personal weaknesses you have to take a private tutor. This tutor will teach you how to properly approach all different question types. If you know how to apply all learned concepts the most efficient way timing will be no issue anymore.

To score 600+ is actually not very difficult because about 60% of all test takers worldwide do so. If you score below average but prepared already for a long time ago this simply means that your prep was not effective. If you are serious about your academic future you have to improve!

Because of our score improvement or 100% money back guarantee you have nothing to lose anyway!

Do yourself a favor and get help from experts who provide an INDIVIDUAL SERVICE FOR YOUR PARTICULAR PROBLEMS!

In your case 23 hours online private tutoring (or if you like face to face) should be enough. Our 60+ hours GMAT video course is included and you get access to many GMAT simulations and numerous practice questions.

https://en.optimus-prep.com/gmat-private-tutoring-online
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hello Everyone,

I have been an old member of GmatClub. The last time I gave GMAT exam was over 3 years ago. I have given the exam three times and my highest score has been 600. The first time I got Q 49 V 21 and since then my verbal score has not improved much and my Quant has came down a bit to 46 or so.

I want to give the exam again now and am targeting a score at around 700. Though my native language is not english but I have been learning it since I started school. I am myself surprised as to why my verbal score has been so low. I have to practice everything (Q+V) again and this time work hard and smart enough to meet my goal.

Please advice as to how should I go about it. I can give 1-2 hours on a weekday and more on weekends.

Thanks,
GR
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
hi guys I am a newbie. Kindly help me. I am with a global mfg company for the past 2 yrs. I am planning to give my gmat around last week of august. Is the time sufficient. Kindly suggest me if i need any other material.

i have the following:

1. OG 12
2. MANHATTAN 5TH EDITION - all guides + foundation book
3. Power score CR bible
4. Math workout for the gmat - princeton...

Kindly help me which material to start with and whether the above materials suffice my prep.

my CGPA: 3.8/4.0

Cheers

Karthick
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Karthick,

Now until August is definitely enough time to prepare for the GMAT. In terms of how many hours per day to study, you should look at how much time you have available versus the hours recommended above. We suggest that you study for at least 1.5 hours per weekday and 4+ hours on weekend days (assuming you have a traditional work-week schedule). You should also pay attention to your personal needs. For example, if you find that 4 hours of study is too much and you are not absorbing information, then reduce the number of hours you study at one time. It would be counterproductive to continue studying if you’re too exhausted.

You should also take short breaks after each hour of studying to clear your head and renew your energy. Ideally 10-17 study hours per week is good goal, but this can easily go up or down based on your availability and how soon your test is coming. Part of the your study time should also involve reviewing summaries and notes you take along the way. In total, it’s ideal to allow 8 to 12 weeks to study properly for the GMAT.

Regards,

Elizabeth
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BethEconomistGMAT wrote:
Hi Karthick,

Now until August is definitely enough time to prepare for the GMAT. In terms of how many hours per day to study, you should look at how much time you have available versus the hours recommended above. We suggest that you study for at least 1.5 hours per weekday and 4+ hours on weekend days (assuming you have a traditional work-week schedule). You should also pay attention to your personal needs. For example, if you find that 4 hours of study is too much and you are not absorbing information, then reduce the number of hours you study at one time. It would be counterproductive to continue studying if you’re too exhausted.

You should also take short breaks after each hour of studying to clear your head and renew your energy. Ideally 10-17 study hours per week is good goal, but this can easily go up or down based on your availability and how soon your test is coming. Part of the your study time should also involve reviewing summaries and notes you take along the way. In total, it’s ideal to allow 8 to 12 weeks to study properly for the GMAT.

Regards,

Elizabeth

Thanks maam for ur kind reply. Can u pls sequence the order of the books i should deal with. I have the following material. Is that enough?

1. OG 12
2. MANHATTAN 5TH EDITION - all guides + foundation book
3. Power score CR bible
4. Math workout for the gmat - princeton...
5. Kaplan premier
6. Kaplan 800

THANKS & REGARDS

KARTHICK
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello:
I have tried to search the information before post, but I have a question. Which is the English level to start study GMAT? I need 600 , but my English is not the best, it is about b1+ or B2. Do you think I have to wait untill I get more english knowledges?

Thanks for the replies, and sorry if someone has asked it before.

:)

Originally posted by WeTTe on 01 Apr 2014, 16:39.
Last edited by WeTTe on 03 Apr 2014, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
WeTTe wrote:
Hello:
I have tried to search the information before post, but I have a question. Which is the English level to start study GMAT? I need 600 (mínimum sub scores arround 23), but my English is not the best, it is about b1+ or B2. Do you think I have to wait untill I get more english knowledges?

Thanks for the replies, and sorry if someone has asked it before.

:)

hi more than the level of english, it is the strategy which is going to sail people through the exam. So once techniques on sentence correction and critical reasoning are honed up, then you will see a considerable improvement in ur scores . So start with the basics.

cheers
Karthick
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi All,

I just started GMAT preparation and my plan is to give it in May-June'14.

My background - Bachelor's in Engineering, 7+ years of technology experience. Plan is to study everyday 3-4 hrs per day.
Goal = GMAT score = 700-750

I have done basic preparation, read GMAT Manhattan books (8 of 9 - except RC)
Gave diagnostic test from OG and got average marks in about all sections (little disappointed there :( ).

Last sunday I gave GMAT practice test (without any practice) & got 550.
I know I gave practice test too early and without much preparation but wanted to see how I do it? & also wanted to know my weaknesses.

Weak points:
1. Maths = I did more than 20 questions right. But still very long way to go
2. Verbal = 21/41 ==== could not concentrate & read fast = RC paragraphs and did not get enough time for last 8-9 questions
3. Concentration & time management = sitting at one place for 4 long hours was really tough

My plan is to do Maths, CR, RC, SC = 10-15 questions everyday and SC revision (I'm using Manhattan material.)

Please let me know if you have better advice for me on improving my score & concentration.

Thanks!
SGMAT2014
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SGMAT2014 wrote:
Hi All,

My background - Bachelor's in Engineering, 7+ years of technology experience. Plan is to study everyday 3-4 hrs per day.

Gave diagnostic test from OG and got average marks in about all sections (little disappointed there :( ).

I know I gave practice test too early and without much preparation but wanted to see how I do it? & also wanted to know my weaknesses.

Weak points:
2. Verbal = 21/41 ==== could not concentrate & read fast = RC paragraphs and did not get enough time for last 8-9 questions
3. Concentration & time management = sitting at one place for 4 long hours was really tough

My plan is to do Maths, CR, RC, SC = 10-15 questions everyday and SC revision (I'm using Manhattan material.)

Please let me know if you have better advice for me on improving my score & concentration.

Thanks!
SGMAT2014

hi to write a full time gmat test is indeed tiring. For improving RC`s especially on reading speed, you can go with " how to read faster and better" by norman lewis.
Just relax and enjoy the process. Dont plan to write more than 2 full test per week.

cheers and all the best

Karthick
Intern
Intern
Send PM
this is perfect plan for GMAT exam preparation. If you follow this plan regularly than surely you got 80% up marks in examination.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am just starting with GMAT preparation and want to get into good B School. But my academic profile is not very impressive. Please let me know the chances of getting admission if i get a decent score in GMAT.

Graduation: CPG 8.1 from YPR college (Local engineering college)
Work Experience: 3 Years as Software Engineering in Wipro and currently working in Accenture.

Please let me know the chances of getting into a good B School if i score 680+ in GMAT.
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there jgnmhn29,

This seems like a great question for GMAT Club's resident admissions experts. You might want to ask your question in their forum:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

Regards,

Elizabeth
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
SGMAT2014 wrote:
Hi All,

Weak points:

Thanks!
SGMAT2014

Isn't the time a bit on the lower side ? Incidentally I am also starting preparation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  28   29   30   31   32   33   34  ...  42