Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:23 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V42
GPA: 3.37
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Was wondering if anybody was in the same situation as me ...

I was lucky to hear that I was admitted from R2 a few weeks ago (March 12th to be exact), but I have yet to receive an admissions package. In my acceptance e-mail, they said that I should expect an admissions package within the "next few weeks" (it's been 3 weeks now). Anybody else in the same boat? Maybe they were waiting to send out all of the admissions packages once the Round 2 decision deadline passed?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Kudos
Declining my spot and 1/2 tuition $$ - so hope that helps some waitlisters out there!

I had an AWFUL experience with admissions and during my visits (see my earlier posts) but came into this process with Anderson atop my list. Do what feels right - for me its no longer Anderson. I hope somebody who had a better experience is able to take my spot and someone in need of some assistance gets my scholarship.

The process isn't fun for anyone but hopefully I can do some good by turning it down early.

Best of LUCK!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.43
WE:Accounting (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
vctr wrote:

I was lucky to hear that I was admitted from R2 a few weeks ago (March 12th to be exact), but I have yet to receive an admissions package. In my acceptance e-mail, they said that I should expect an admissions package within the "next few weeks" (it's been 3 weeks now). Anybody else in the same boat? Maybe they were waiting to send out all of the admissions packages once the Round 2 decision deadline passed?

I was admitted on 3/12 too and also did not receive my package. I even e-mailed them earlier this week about it and haven't heard back.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Urgh Waitlisted.... That is annoying.

Does anyone know if there is any chance of getting off the Waitlist before the round 3 deadline or do they revisit all the waitlisted applicants in the light of round 3 applicants?

Thanks and congrats to all admitted!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GRE 1: Q164 V167
GPA: 3.36
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
ysabelle1984 wrote:
Urgh Waitlisted.... That is annoying.

Does anyone know if there is any chance of getting off the Waitlist before the round 3 deadline or do they revisit all the waitlisted applicants in the light of round 3 applicants?

Thanks and congrats to all admitted!

I'm in the same boat. It looks like Anderson generally offers a yes or no decision to waitlisters by the deadline for the next round. Our round three deadline will be June 3, so expect an answer before that. :)

https://www.stacyblackman.com/2014/02/03 ... -anderson/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Thanks jackanatic.

Good luck to you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
[quote="Squig19"][quote="gnova01"][quote="jbug"][quote="K7"]Dinged without interview as well, but...I found this section interesting in my ding letter:

"Based on the strength of your work experience and other credentials, I would like to share your application with my colleagues in our Fully-Employed MBA (FEMBA) Program. If you have ever considered working while pursuing your education, FEMBA is a highly-ranked option offering the same faculty, courses, and UCLA Anderson MBA degree. My colleagues from FEMBA will be in touch very soon to explore this possibility with you."

Did you all get the follow-up email today? Titled "Another Option To Start This Fall". They're really twisting the knife!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Kudos
Just got that too. It's a very cruel e-mail to send...aside from the e-mail title, the wording in the first paragraph of that e-mail was not very good in my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
aero419 wrote:
you all get the follow-up email today? Titled "Another Option To Start This Fall". They're really twisting the knife!

Yep, just received it recently too. Maybe it's just me, or maybe I don't quite understand how FEMBA works (I've only ever considered full-time), but it feels a little sad. It sort of feels as though they're desperate for applicants by pawning off the rejected and also by emphasizing that you can receive a decision in less than a month. This is all just my uninformed opinion though.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10021 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello GMATCLUB Members,

GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting are conducting a webinar for the applicants got dinged this year. This is your opportunity to get expert guidance and build a smart strategy for the next application round/season. Webinar will be conducted by Admissionado's Founder and HBS Alum Jon Frank. Jon will share his suggestions followed by a Q&A session - this is your opportunity to ask your specific questions.

One lucky attendee will get the opportunity to have his/her (dinged) profile evaluated by Jon Frank during the session. If you'd like to be chosen for this opportunity, please email info@admissionado.com with the subject line "GMAT Club Webinar - Choose me!". Please include your name, nationality, age, GMAT score and a list of schools where you were dinged. And please also attach your essays + resume + LORs from one of your applications. Winner will be notified via email on April 16th!

Here are the details of Webinar

Title :- Dealing with a Ding
Day & Date :- Thursday, April 17, 2014
Time :- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM EDT
NOTE :- There are only 100 spots available, so sign up early!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
endlessfin1te wrote:
vctr wrote:

I was admitted on 3/12 too and also did not receive my package. I even e-mailed them earlier this week about it and haven't heard back.

Did you check spam? My offer was in spam.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
dallen wrote:
dallen wrote:

Congrats, I am in as well! Very excited! Hopefully we receive scholarship information soon.

Just received fellowship email of a substantial amount (half ride); what a nice surprise

Is that $25k a year? Anyone know how many of these fellowships they give out? Curious how rare it is to get, and what amount is average.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Any R3 applicants in here ?!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
1) Anderson (Full-time) vs 2) Haas (Part-time) vs 3) Reapplying next year

(This is going to be a long post. Please bear with me. Your inputs to help me make this crucial decision would be highly appreciated.)

I am glad to be selected to Haas EWMBA program and Anderson full-time (with $50K fellowship) program. I am trying to figure out the pros and cons of the two programs. I am also considering skipping this year and applying full-fledged next year.

Given below are the details about my profile and plans.

Profile:
Indian, Male, Age: 29, GMAT 730, (Q49, V40)

Work experience details:
5.5 years with a Govt agency. Worked in different engineering roles for the first 3 years. Working with project management division for the last 2.5 years.

Post-MBA plans:

Path A: Would like to move into management consulting in firms like PWC, Bain, and KPMG. Prefer to work in infrastructure management and PPP (Public-Private Partnership) roles, but open to explore other areas too.

Path B: In my present job in project management I spend a significant amount of time on data-analytics. Along with Infrastructure Industry, Data Analytics is my passion. If I chose this path, ultimately, I would like to set up my own data-analytics firm. I still need to figure what kind of roles would be suitable and are of interest to me in this field, post-mba. Any insights in this regard would be helpful.

Given my profile and plans, below are the pros and cons that I could think of:

1) Haas EWMBA:
Pros:
a) Family settled in Bay-Area, so it would be easier on that front.
b) Berkeley brand (I am not sure how much importance I should give to this with respect to my MBA. Being an Engineer, UCB brand for me is second to none, and on par with MIT and Stanford)

Cons:
a) career change might be difficult
b) might be missing that full-fledged MBA experience
c) network (not sure how much a part-time MBA would help me build a strong personal and professional network)

2) Anderson full-time MBA
Pros:
a) easier to change careers
b) full-fledged MBA experience might be a positively life transformative experience, especially with respect to my soft-skills and people management skills.
c) network, both personal and professional

Cons:
a) I am sure Anderson has its own strengths, but I am concerned how much I am losing compared to a M7 or Top 10 MBA
b) Family Relocation (I know I can't complain moving from NorCal to SoCal, given that many people shift countries for MBA. Nevertheless, it still is a concern)

3) Reapplying (full-time):
Due to personal constraints, this year, I had to start my application process in the very last minute (First week of January). I applied three schools - Kellogg full-time, Anderson full-time, and Haas EWMBA). I am confident of my story, and am sure that I can put a better application next year. However, with respect to age and work experience, I’ll fall closer to extreme right on averages at most top 10 schools. I am not thinking of Harvard or Stanford, but I am confident of getting into at least one M7 school.

Thank you for taking time to read my long post. Please reply with your suggestions and comments. They would be immensely helpful for me in making this crucial decision.

Originally posted by scoonian on 17 Apr 2014, 12:19.
Last edited by scoonian on 18 Apr 2014, 08:54, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GRE 1: Q162 V161
Send PM
Kudos
scoonian wrote:
1) Haas (Part-time) vs 2) Anderson (Full-time) vs 3) Reapplying next year

(This is going to be a long post. Please bear with me. Your inputs to help me make this crucial decision would be highly appreciated.)

I am glad to be selected to Haas EWMBA program and Anderson full-time (with $50K fellowship) program. I am trying to figure out the pros and cons of the two programs. I am also considering skipping this year and applying full-fledged next year.

Profile:

Bachelors: Civil Engineering, IIT Madras, GPA: 7.32/10,
Masters: Transportation Engineering, Texas A&M University, GPA 3.9/4.0

Certifications:
CFA Level 3 Candidate.
Professional Engineer, State of California.
Graduate Certificate in Business, Mays Business School, Texas A&M University

Work experience details:
5.5 years with California Department of Transportation. Worked in different engineering roles for the first 3 years. Working with project management division (present role - Assistant Project Manager) for the last 2.5 years.

Post-MBA plans:

Path A: Would like to move into management consulting in firms like PWC, Bain, and KPMG. Prefer to work in infrastructure management and PPP (Public-Private Partnership) roles, but open to explore other areas too.

Path B: In my present job in project management I spend a significant amount of time on data-analytics. Along with Infrastructure Industry, Data Analytics is my passion. If I chose this path, ultimately, I would like to set up my own data-analytics firm. I still need to figure what kind of roles would be suitable and are of interest to me in this field, post-mba. Any insights in this regard would be helpful.

1) Haas EWMBA:
Pros:
b) Berkeley vs UCLA brand (I am not sure how much importance I should give to this with respect to my MBA. Being an Engineer, UCB brand for me is second to none, and on par with MIT and Stanford)

Cons:
c) network (not sure how much a part-time MBA would help me build a strong personal and professional network)

Pros:
b) full-fledged MBA experience might be a positively life transformative experience, especially with respect to my soft-skills and people management skills.

Cons:
a) Anderson brand (I am sure Anderson has its own strengths, but I am concerned how much I am losing compared to a M7 or Top 10 MBA)
b) Family Relocation (I know I can't complain moving from NorCal to SoCal, given that many people shift countries for MBA. Nevertheless, it still is a concern)

Due to personal constraints, this year, I had to start my application process in the very last minute (First week of January). I applied three schools - Kellogg full-time, Anderson full-time, and Haas EWMBA). Spent a week on Kellogg, another week on Haas, and 3-5 days on Anderson. I am confident of my story, and am sure that I can put a better application next year. However, with respect to age and work experience, I’ll fall closer to extreme right on averages at most top 10 schools. I am not thinking of Harvard or Stanford, but I am hopeful of getting into at least one M7 school. This is what my thinking is:

Kellogg/Booth/Sloan/Columbia
- I think I have a decent chance of getting into at least one of those schools if I put my best application. I’ll be happy if I get into those next year.
Haas/Tuck/Stern
- I am confident of getting admitted to at least one of these. I’ll be satisfied.
Any other school
- I guess, one year later, I would feel that I might have been better off joining Anderson when I had the option.

Thank you for taking time to read my long post. Please reply with your suggestions and comments. They would be immensely helpful for me in making this crucial decision.

Ram

Congrats on your admit Ram. This is a pretty good problem to have :) Since you are looking for a industry/career change, you might wanna keep two things in mind.

1. Internship - Absolutely critical for career changers.
2. Age - Younger the better.

UCLA Full-time is a great program. Recruiters WILL differentiate between a full time and a part time program. A Berkeley brand will NOT offset that. Plus, the school is NOT invested in finding you a job in a part-time program where as in a full time program the school really cares that you get a job (as it reflects on their career services report.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
scoonian wrote:

Profile:

Certifications:
CFA Level 3 Candidate.

Work experience details:
5.5 years with California Department of Transportation. Worked in different engineering roles for the first 3 years. Working with project management division (present role - Assistant Project Manager) for the last 2.5 years.

Post-MBA plans:

1) Haas EWMBA:
Pros:
b) Berkeley vs UCLA brand (I am not sure how much importance I should give to this with respect to my MBA. Being an Engineer, UCB brand for me is second to none, and on par with MIT and Stanford)

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:
a) Anderson brand (I am sure Anderson has its own strengths, but I am concerned how much I am losing compared to a M7 or Top 10 MBA)

Due to personal constraints, this year, I had to start my application process in the very last minute (First week of January). I applied three schools - Kellogg full-time, Anderson full-time, and Haas EWMBA). Spent a week on Kellogg, another week on Haas, and 3-5 days on Anderson. I am confident of my story, and am sure that I can put a better application next year. However, with respect to age and work experience, I’ll fall closer to extreme right on averages at most top 10 schools. I am not thinking of Harvard or Stanford, but I am hopeful of getting into at least one M7 school. This is what my thinking is:

- I think I have a decent chance of getting into at least one of those schools if I put my best application. I’ll be happy if I get into those next year.
Haas/Tuck/Stern
- I am confident of getting admitted to at least one of these. I’ll be satisfied.
Any other school
- I guess, one year later, I would feel that I might have been better off joining Anderson when I had the option.

Ram

My advice for you is to wait a year and apply to schools that you truly want to attend.

Business school imposes a lot of cost on students. Not only does it cost $100K over 2 years just in tuition alone, you also lose your earning powers during that time period (although you don't have that issue with a part-time program).

To me, it sounds like Anderson does not fit perfectly with your career plans. Although you have an option to attend Anderson as you have been admitted, it's your prerogative to turn down the offer extended to you.

During my process, I did think briefly about applying a year after to "higher ranked" schools but at the end of the day, I felt comfortable with what Anderson had to offer and joined the community.

It's a substantial investment on your part. You want to join a community that you truly want to belong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
scoonian wrote:

Profile:

Certifications:
CFA Level 3 Candidate.

Work experience details:

Post-MBA plans:

1) Haas EWMBA:
Pros:

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:

Haas/Tuck/Stern
Any other school

Ram

If you have issues moving to LA from Bay Area....would you be ok moving to NY(Stern) & New Hampshire (Tuck). There is a huge diff b/w Haas PT and Anderson Full-Time. It would be really hard to change job function, let alone industry, with part-time program. Do your research on UCLA....if it gives you a decent shot at your post-MBA career, I would go for it.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts