Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1481 [79]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1481 [18]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [5]
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [5]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Some scientists have been critical of the laboratory tests conducted b [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
laxieqv wrote:
Some scientists have been critical of the laboratory tests conducted by the Federal Drug Administration on the grounds that the amounts of suspected carcinogens fed to animals far exceeds those that humans could consume.

A. far exceeds those that humans could consume
B. exceeds by far those humans can consume
C. far exceeds those humans are able to consume
D. exceed by far those able to be consumed by humans
E. far exceed those that humans could consume

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Tenses + Redundancy/Awkwardness

• The simple past tense is the correct tense for referring to hypothetical situations in the current time frame.
• The simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.

A: Trap. This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun “amounts” with the singular verb “exceeds”.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense verb “can” to refer to a hypothetical action in the current time frame; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to hypothetical situations in the current time frame, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature. Further, Option B uses the passive voice construction “exceeds by far”, rendering it awkward and needlessly wordy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun “amounts” with the singular verb “exceeds”. Further, Option C uses the simple present tense verb phrase “are able to” to refer to a hypothetical action in the current time frame; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to hypothetical situations in the current time frame, and the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.

D: This answer choice uses the passive voice constructions “exceed by far” and “those able to be consumed by humans", rendering it awkward and needlessly wordy.

E: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun “amounts” with the plural verb “exceed”. Further, Option E uses the simple past tense verb “could” to refer to a hypothetical situation in the current time frame. Additionally, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [4]
Send PM
Re: Some scientists have been critical of the laboratory tests conducted b [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer is E
Subject - Verb agreement "Amounts...exceed"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Send PM
Go with E

A, B and C use exceeds which is wrong
D - awkward/wordy

laxieqv wrote:
Some scientists have been critical of the laboratory tests conducted by the Federal Drug Administration on the grounds that the amounts of suspected carcinogens fed to animals far exceeds those that humans could consume.

A. far exceeds those that humans could consume
B. exceeds by far those humans can consume
C. far exceeds those humans are able to consume
D. exceed by far those able to be consumed by humans
E. far exceed those that humans could consume
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2396 [0]
Send PM
Subject "amounts" does not agree with verb in A, B and C so those are out

In D, those able to be consumed is an awkward construction

that leaves E
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
gsxr pinned the S-V agreement flaw.

Unquestionably E.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
laxieqv> kaitou no setsume o kanpeki ni kaku no wa sugoi desu ne!! Jibun de kakimasu ka? copii to haritsukemasu ka?? kimi wa GMAT o zettai 800 ten dekiru to omoimasu!! Ooen shimasu yo :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1481 [0]
Send PM
( sorry for being off-topic)
@GMATT73: iie, watashi wa mada dame desu :oops: . I am not such a GMAT guru to provide all OAs and OEs myself. Indeed, I grabbed a SC book from my univ's library, which I find a great one. I really don't know its original English version, but I'm sure my book is a Chinese version of one since it contains quite a lot similar examples to those posted here so far. My motto is to share what I've got. Thus, I've posted those SCs with OAs and OEs here. Not to be humble, I indeed still need to learn a lot from all of you here!! :oops:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
gsr wrote:
Answer is E
Subject - Verb agreement "Amounts...exceed"

the amounts of carcinogins exceed

is there usage of this syntax below?
amount ...exceeds
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 352
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
Send PM
first split -> exceed vs exceeds
Since exceed refer to amounts hence it should be plural. There reject exceeds which implies A, B and C are rejected.

Between D and E "to be" makes the underlined phrase passive where as the non-underlined is active. Hence D is rejected.

E is the answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 352
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
Send PM
First split - singular vs plural
amounts which is plural implies that we need to use plural here and hence "exceeds"
Eliminate A, B, and C.

Second split - Active vs passive
use of "to be" in D makes is passive where as the non-underlined phrase is in active voice. Eliminate D

Answer --> E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Darden '21
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMATPrep Screenshot attached
[img]G:\EXAM01.JPG[/img]
Attachments

EXAM01.JPG
EXAM01.JPG [ 62.26 KiB | Viewed 36561 times ]

EXAM01.JPG
EXAM01.JPG [ 62.26 KiB | Viewed 36620 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
dear experts, or mikemcgarry

I cross off D because I think that Subject "the amounts of XXX" is singular and that verb should be "exceeds" .

unfortunately, correct verb is plural, I am confused.

another question is that why amounts of XXX, IMO, amount is modifies uncountable noun, so amount of XXX is singular. the amounts of XXX is first time for me, would you please clarify how should I distinguish plural or singular among the amount of XXX, a mount of XXX , and the amounts of XXX,

does a mounts of XXX exist ?

thanks in advance

happy new year, dears.

>_~
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:General Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
zoezhuyan wrote:

I cross off D because I think that Subject "the amounts of XXX" is singular and that verb should be "exceeds" .

another question is that why amounts of XXX, IMO, amount is modifies uncountable noun, so amount of XXX is singular. the amounts of XXX is first time for me, would you please clarify how should I distinguish plural or singular among the amount of XXX, a mount of XXX , and the amounts of XXX,

thanks in advance

happy new year, dears.

>_~

Hi zoezhuyan, let me try to explain this. I'm no expert by the way. Haha.

the amounts of suspected carcinogens

You are right about "amount modifies the uncountable noun." But here in the OS, we are talking about MANY carcinogens. So the amount should be amounts.
Quote:
For example,
A man must consume equal amounts of water and alcohol to stay healthy.
A man must consume a good amount of water to stay healthy.

I hope this helps :)

Wish you a happy new year too!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Sirakri wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:

thanks in advance

happy new year, dears.

>_~

Hi zoezhuyan, let me try to explain this. I'm no expert by the way. Haha.

the amounts of suspected carcinogens

You are right about "amount modifies the uncountable noun." But here in the OS, we are talking about MANY carcinogens. So the amount should be amounts.
Quote:
For example,
A man must consume equal amounts of water and alcohol to stay healthy.
A man must consume a good amount of water to stay healthy.

I hope this helps :)

Wish you a happy new year too!

thanks so much , Sirakri , it's helpful

embarrass because of my poor basic knowledge .

work hard on the journey to GMAT, from bottom to the top...

>_~
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Can an expert please let me know the difference between "can" and "could"?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
GPA: 3.4
WE:General Management (Human Resources)
laxieqv wrote:
( sorry for being off-topic)
GMATT73: iie, watashi wa mada dame desu :oops: . I am not such a GMAT guru to provide all OAs and OEs myself. Indeed, I grabbed a SC book from my univ's library, which I find a great one. I really don't know its original English version, but I'm sure my book is a Chinese version of one since it contains quite a lot similar examples to those posted here so far. My motto is to share what I've got. Thus, I've posted those SCs with OAs and OEs here. Not to be humble, I indeed still need to learn a lot from all of you here!! :oops:

Great writing...Gmat isn't how expert you are it is all about how methodical you are. :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [2]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Choice E is best. The plural verb exceed agrees in number with its subject, amounts, and the phrase those that humans could consume conveys the intended meaning clearly and without unnecessary wordiness. In choices A, B, and C, the singular exceeds does not agree in number with its plural subject, amounts. Choices B and C omit the conjunction that _an omission that is grammatically acceptable, but in the case of this sentence diminishes clarity. In D, the use of the passive voice in the phrase those able to be consumed by humans is unjustified, as it increases wordiness while stating the meaning less precisely: it is accurate to call humans "able,' but not to call those [amounts] "able."

Hence E.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts