Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:59 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [39]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1859 [7]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1523 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [2]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Re: In one-round sealed-bid auctions, each prospective buyer [#permalink]
Kudos
The main point is to highlight a token bid. What is a token bid. Token bids are bid where bidder feels there will be no other bid. This is the underlying assumption for token bids. Now bids for desired item having a reserve price is paradoxical in nature, what is the paradox here. That bidders feel since item is desirable there will be other bids, so they dont make a token bid. More number of bidders will make bids to outdo others for desirable item hence the paradox is it doesnt make economic sense. Token bids make economic sense and desirable item bids don't. Hence E

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
ozodam81 wrote:
In one-round sealed-bid auctions, each prospective buyer submits in strict confidence a single bid, and the sale goes to the highest bidder. A reserve price - a minimum price below which there will be no sale - can be set by the seller as the protection against a token bid, which is an unreasonably low bid sometimes made by a bidder who gambles that there will be no other bid. Paradoxically, such protection is most needed when extremely desirable items are auctioned off this way.

Which of the following, if true about one-round sealed-bid auctions, most helps to explain why the generalization characterized above as paradoxical holds?

A. The bidder who submitted the winning bid on an item cannot, on being informed of this fact, decline acceptance of the item in favor of the next-highest bidder.
B. The identity of unsuccessful bidders is not disclosed unless those bidders themselves choose to disclose it.
C. The reserve price on an extremely desirable item is generally set high enough to yield a profit for the seller even if the winning bid just matches it.
D. Prospective buyers of an extremely desirable item can often guess quite accurately who at least some of the other prospective buyers are.
E. Prospective buyers tend to believe that, in order to be successful, a bid on an extremely desirable item would have to be so high as not to make economic sense.

Anyone else having problems with this question?
I still can't wrap my head around this....
Help someone?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
ronr34 wrote:
I still can't wrap my head around this....
Help someone?

The purpose of a reserve bid is to protect against a single bidder. Why would highly desirable items sometimes need this protection? Because bidders may think they can't afford to submit a winning bid so they refrain from bidding at all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
In one-round sealed-bid auctions, each prospective buyer [#permalink]
In one-round sealed-bid auctions, each prospective buyer submits in strict confidence a single bid, and the sale goes to the highest bidder. A reserve price - a minimum price below which there will be no sale - can be set by the seller as the protection against a token bid, which is an unreasonably low bid sometimes made by a bidder who gambles that there will be no other bid. Paradoxically, such protection is most needed when extremely desirable items are auctioned off this way.

Minimum price need to be set up for less desirable item because in that case it works as a protection for seller.
That kind of protection not needed for extremely desirable items because there are many bidders who will bid higher and higher and seller will always get more than minimum price. But still you need a minimum price. why?

Which of the following, if true about one-round sealed-bid auctions, most helps to explain why the generalization characterized above as paradoxical holds?

A. The bidder who submitted the winning bid on an item cannot, on being informed of this fact, decline acceptance of the item in favor of the next-highest bidder.
B. The identity of unsuccessful bidders is not disclosed unless those bidders themselves choose to disclose it.
C. The reserve price on an extremely desirable item is generally set high enough to yield a profit for the seller even if the winning bid just matches it.
D. Prospective buyers of an extremely desirable item can often guess quite accurately who at least some of the other prospective buyers are.
E. Prospective buyers tend to believe that, in order to be successful, a bid on an extremely desirable item would have to be so high as not to make economic sense.

With E, aren't we assuming that buyers will not bid at all. as they are thinking - "Oh!! it is so desirable that it would be very costly for me, it doesn't make any sense to bid at all." May be bidders go other way around, "Oh!! it is so desirable that I need to get it, I will get it."

Isn't this how rich people think and get all the absurd items in the world.

On other hand, C - The reserve price on an extremely desirable item is generally set high enough to yield a profit for the seller even if the winning bid just matches it.

Lets imagine a situation.
You have bones of Dinosaur.(First timer in the world) ANd you don't set minimum price for it even though you know that there will be a war among bidders to get it.
YOu think it's worth of 10000 million. but then you don't set MP for it.

Now situation at the bidders :
Ok, I don't know how does this thing cost. I will cost very high. I think 1000 million is enough. Now there are 5 buyers but all bid below that. lets say final bid is 9000 million but then you lost 1000 million from your projection.

But if you do that you take control of the entire situation. And you are maximizing the profit. Because now whatever it is, will be equal to or more of 10000 million.

In both cases (C&E), we are assuming something then what is the wrong with C and that is not with E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
"With E, aren't we assuming that buyers will not bid at all. as they are thinking - "Oh!! it is so desirable that it would be very costly for me, it doesn't make any sense to bid at all." May be bidders go other way around, "Oh!! it is so desirable that I need to get it, I will get it.""
Yes, we are assuming that, because that's implied in E. That it doesn't make economic sense to bid is strongly correlated with not bidding. Your second "bidder thought process" may or may not match reality, but it doesn't match the what is stated in E.

C could be true, but it doesn't resolve a paradox of why desirable items are likely to have only a single token bid.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts