Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:58 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 283 [20]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 283 [6]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8557 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: footwear and apparel brand... [#permalink]
IMO, A is correct.

A)The footwear and apparel brand founded in 1914, Brooks Sports has for most of its history made shoes for a variety of sports, but in 2000 it narrowed its focus considerably to concentrate on running shoes.
Correct. Present perfect: has made shoes... is correct.

B)Brooks Sports, the footwear and apparel brand founded in 1914, has for most of its history been making shoes for a variety of sports, but in 2000 it considerably narrowed its focus to concentrate on running shoes.
Wrong. Present perfect continuous is not necessary

C)The footwear and apparel brand founded in 1914, Brooks Sports, has for most of their history made shoes for a variety of sports, but in 2000 they narrowed its focus considerably to concentrate on running shoes.
Wrong. S-V problem.

D)The footwear and apparel brand founded in 1914, Brooks Sports, has for most of their history made shoes for a variety of sports, but in 2000 they considerably narrowed down its focus to concentrate on running shoes.
Wrong. S-V problem.

E)Brooks Sports, the footwear and apparel brand founded in 1914, had for most of its history made shoes for a variety of sports, but in 2000 it narrowed its focus considerably to concentrate on running shoes.
Wrong. Past perfect is not necessary
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1859 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Its indeed a good question..Close call between B and E....
One reason i eliminated coz we cannot use a proper time ie 1940 with present perfect tense.....
Bt E makes sense....as frm meaning point of view it says sth was done in past bt in the year 200o the focussed on sthn else....so to make it a proper timeline we need past perfect..

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!1

Archit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1531 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Kudos
anish123ster wrote:
The footwear and apparel brand founded in 1914, Brooks Sports has for most of its history made shoes for a variety of sports, but in 2000 it narrowed its focus considerably to concentrate on running shoes.

A)The footwear and apparel brand founded in 1914, Brooks Sports has for most of its history made shoes for a variety of sports, but in 2000 it narrowed its focus considerably to concentrate on running shoes.

B)Brooks Sports, the footwear and apparel brand founded in 1914, has for most of its history been making shoes for a variety of sports, but in 2000 it considerably narrowed its focus to concentrate on running shoes.

C)The footwear and apparel brand founded in 1914, Brooks Sports, has for most of their history made shoes for a variety of sports, but in 2000 they narrowed its focus considerably to concentrate on running shoes.

D)The footwear and apparel brand founded in 1914, Brooks Sports, has for most of their history made shoes for a variety of sports, but in 2000 they considerably narrowed down its focus to concentrate on running shoes.

E)Brooks Sports, the footwear and apparel brand founded in 1914, had for most of its history made shoes for a variety of sports, but in 2000 it narrowed its focus considerably to concentrate on running shoes.

PLEASE SEE EXPLANATION BELOW.. :lol:

A,C and D is out because of modifier error.Between b and e ,e is the correct answer.b is out present perfect continuous tense is used.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32895 [1]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
Kudos
pqhai wrote:
IMO, A is correct.

Correct. Present perfect: has made shoes... is correct.

Wrong. Present perfect continuous is not necessary

Wrong. S-V problem.

Wrong. S-V problem.

Wrong. Past perfect is not necessary

Consider A

then

A)The footwear and apparel brand founded in 1914,........................................................................................, but in 2000 it narrowed its focus considerably to concentrate on running shoes.

It does not make sense at all ;)

You must need the subject. As in quant, start from what you KNOW
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2198 [4]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
The footwear and apparel brand founded in 1914, Brooks [#permalink]