Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [40]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [8]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [6]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Schools: ISB '23 (I)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The distinction that modern artists and art critics make between the a [#permalink]
Kudos
Help me with Q.3
Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 322
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Operations (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: The distinction that modern artists and art critics make between the a [#permalink]
Kudos
SajjadAhmad Is the OA for Question 2 incorrect? Could you also please help with the official explanations for all three questions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Are you sure this a 700 level passage, solved within 4 mins all 3 correct. Great passage though, similar to to the real deal.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32951 [1]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
richirish wrote:
Are you sure this a 700 level passage, solved within 4 mins all 3 correct. Great passage though, similar to to the real deal.

Hello richirich

Great work if you got all correct in 4 minutes. Below is the difficulty level.

Question #1: 550
Question #2: 750
Question #3: 700

Good Luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Kudos
sk7075 wrote:
Help me with Q.3
Thanks in advance

"Since 1900, a large number of definitions of art have emerged, each covering a sector of accepted creative and critical practice but none, apparently, applicable to the whole of what is accepted as art by the art world"

It is an inference question, none applicable to the whole art world meaning it is "diverse", they have no concrete and uniform definition of what exactly is art, since 1900 means the twentieth century, lot of clues if you read carefully.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Send PM
Choice B, in Question 3 is a finely laid out trap and I see a lot of people fell for it, including me.
Based on my understanding of the passage, I had C as the answer but then I made the mistake of scanning for "keywords" and fell for the trap.

Key Takeaway: Locator words/Keywords can be a great aid, but can also be used by GMAC to lay traps, so if you find a conflict between your judgement/understanding of the passage and your technical tools, think twice before choosing the latter.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
2) The passage is most relevant to which of the following areas of study?

A) The history of aesthetics
B) The history of literature
C) The sociology of art
D) The psychology of art
E) The sociology of aesthetics

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
This passage is mostly revolving around art.

Since 1900, a large number of definitions of art .........
Not only do contemporary definitions of art fail to agree on .......
because it suggests that the way in which artists and art critics talk and think about works of art does.......

Quoting a statment about aesthetics doesn't make passage relevant to the "history of aesthetics".
Please explain this question.
Oxford Saïd School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 610 Q48 V26
Send PM
bm2201 wrote:
harshbirajdar wrote:
SajjadAhmad Is the OA for Question 2 incorrect? Could you also please help with the official explanations for all three questions?

Hi harshbirajdar,

C) The sociology of art
D) The psychology of art

Correct Answer: A
Explanation: as mentioned in the passage: "This concept runs directly counter to the deeply ingrained insight of modern aesthetic thought that art cannot be reduced to rule and cannot be evaluated using a set of rules reducible to a formula. The Greek concept predominated until the middle of the eighteenth century, when the French aesthetician Charles Batteux heralded the idea that what distinguishes the arts from the crafts and the sciences is the arts’ production of beauty.", implying that author traces the history of art as aesthetic back to the Greeks. Aesthetics, in general are principles pertaining to appreciation of beauty or art. Other options have not been discussed in the passage, making A the best choice.

Thanks.

Hi bm2201,
I had query in Q2. Your explanation helped. Thanks :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [4]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Harsh2111s wrote:
Quote:

C) The sociology of art
D) The psychology of art

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
This passage is mostly revolving around art.

Since 1900, a large number of definitions of art .........
Not only do contemporary definitions of art fail to agree on .......
because it suggests that the way in which artists and art critics talk and think about works of art does.......

Quoting a statment about aesthetics doesn't make passage relevant to the "history of aesthetics".
Please explain this question.

First of all, let me say that it is a difficult question.

Aesthetics involves the measure of beauty in arts. This is the exact definition of aesthetics from dictionary.com

- the branch of philosophy dealing with such notions as the beautiful, the ugly, the sublime, the comic, etc., as applicable to the fine arts, with a view to establishing the meaning and validity of critical judgments concerning works of art, and the principles underlying or justifying such judgments.

Now notice ancient Greeks, middle of 18th century, 1900s, till 20th century, contemporary...

So a history of aesthetics course is quite likely to have this passage in it.

Sociology and psychology are related to society and human behaviour respectively. They don't seem very relevant.

Answer (A)
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32951 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I am afraid if this passage is really from GMAT Prep, I found this passage in 800Score free course also, I have added question#4-9. Let us know in the reply if you know about the source of this passage.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Hey Sajjad1994 great work man! This was an amazing read!

I solved this in 15 mins with a score of 7 correct and 2 incorrect (Qs # 2 and 6).

If possible, can someone please post the official explanations or a detailed explanation for all questions, specifically for Q#3-6? :)
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32951 [1]
Send PM