Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 16:01 It is currently 07 May 2024, 16:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
haddy74 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
pelihu wrote:
I had a crappy flight yesterday and decided that I wouldn't want any job where I have to fly every week.

It does get old. The number of flights where you get stuck in a crappy economy seat, delayed on the tarmac by 2 hours, canceled due to rain... etc.

Don't these MC travel Business Class/First Class always?

Not in my experience or in the experience of my friends at BAH, Accenture, etc. You buy economy class tickets, and use status to try and upgrade. Alternatively you can sometimes use the 500 mile vouchers, assuming of course, that there is space. Sometimes, depending ont he client you can reimburse the actual straight upgrade ($150). I don't know of anyone who travelled first class - ever - and our firm spent money like it was going out of style. Maybe with the likes of McK things are different, but I know of no consulting firm that actually buys business class seats for their staff. The only possible exception to that might be if you have an international flight.

I've got some friends at Deloitte, BAH etc... I'll reach out to them and find out for sure, but like I said - no one in any of the firms I worked for every bought business class seats.

thanks a lot for all the information. We all really appreciate it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
I've heard of large organizations having their own internal consultants, kind of like swing-man resources that work on different projects throughout the organization. But I'd be curious to know more about these as well.

You mean like rotational programs? Leadership development programs that rotate you through multiple divisions for 2 to 3 years after which you become a manager or something in one of them? Or you think more along the lines of a permanent internal consultant?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've read about these internal consultants as well. Companies like 3M and GE are the commonly cited examples. The role is not a rotation program. From what I've heard, it's more like internal process engineering. I'd also be really curious to hear more about life in these roles.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
haddy74 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
pelihu wrote:
I had a crappy flight yesterday and decided that I wouldn't want any job where I have to fly every week.

It does get old. The number of flights where you get stuck in a crappy economy seat, delayed on the tarmac by 2 hours, canceled due to rain... etc.

Don't these MC travel Business Class/First Class always?

Not in my experience or in the experience of my friends at BAH, Accenture, etc. You buy economy class tickets, and use status to try and upgrade. Alternatively you can sometimes use the 500 mile vouchers, assuming of course, that there is space. Sometimes, depending ont he client you can reimburse the actual straight upgrade ($150). I don't know of anyone who travelled first class - ever - and our firm spent money like it was going out of style. Maybe with the likes of McK things are different, but I know of no consulting firm that actually buys business class seats for their staff. The only possible exception to that might be if you have an international flight.

I've got some friends at Deloitte, BAH etc... I'll reach out to them and find out for sure, but like I said - no one in any of the firms I worked for every bought business class seats.

Yeah, that's exactly how it is with my friends in consulting as well, regular economy tickets are the norm. They are always talking about getting 1k status (I think this is a United term), which means they are the first to be upgraded if seats are open in business class, but not surprisingly, a lot of regular travelers are always trying to get the same upgrades.

But the delayed flights and things like that hit everyone the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
don't consulting firms have research/analyst positions as well? Do they suck less? Much less travel?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [10]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Phokus wrote:
don't consulting firms have research/analyst positions as well? Do they suck less? Much less travel?

Well, depends on what were talking about I think... I've been on both client facing roles and support roles at consulting firms. It's a lot like banking in that everyone know who is bringing in revenue and who is a cost. If you are not a billable resource and are part of "operations" - internal staff - you are a cost center, not a profit center and you are treated accordingly. This means you often get pooped on. By everyone. Goldman Sachs, for a while even went so far as to list their divisions on pamphlets not in alphabetical order but in order of revenue from the previous quarter. Every quarter they would toss out the brochures and have them reprinted. No idea if they still do this - but consulting definetly had a similar mentality when it came to "consultants" vs "back office support" role... So if were talking one of those roles, just expect no respect.

If were talking an analyst role that is somehow not client facing.... well, they exist, but they are often few and far between as far as I've seen.

Take this next part with a grain of salt - cause its just my experience...

They can change in a second. Don't think for a minute that if there is enough client demand they wont ask that internal analyst who isn't technically supposed to travel to get on the next plane to Atlanta. They will. And you wont say no because it means your job. The other problem with these jobs is that you develop less bonds or friends and receive, typically, less recognition.

The reason is simple really. You are in the office, everyone else isn't. Including the partners, the managers, the directors, everyone who, at the end of the day, matters. You don't really get to know them well, and they dont really get to know you well. Maybe you see some of them on Fridays, but if you arent on their project, why would they stop to talk to you? Odds are, they won't.

What will happen is that 7pm call from a partner to your manager saying he needs something turned around. You'll get dropped on your plate at 7.10pm, spend fifteen minutes talking to some other associate at the client site about it, then crank out whatever they asked you to do for the next several hours. The associate at the client site will get the piece of work, he'll incorporate it into his deck, give it to the partner, and your work will be unrecognizable from that of the other associate. If its good work you did , then you'll probably get very little recognition for it - not from the associate and not from the partner. If hte work you did isn't so good, the associate who has to hand this to a partner will make sure to blame you.

In fact, more often than not, the work that these internal folk do is crap quality. It's not that the are dumb, they are not, but they just lack the necessary contextual knowledge to a good job most of the time. Imagine that you work for Pepsi, and suddenly someone from Clorox Bleach calls you up and asks for projections for next years figures. You might know HOW to make projections, but you aren't going to a have a CLUE what might be a reasonable figure for Clorox Bleach. Nor will you have anyone at Clorox to call..... its kind of like that... You become a body, a resource to be leaned on, and an easy person to blame if things go badly and to ignore if they go well.

I actually tried to get one of these roles because of the no-travel (or at least, reduced odds of travel), but in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't. Most of the guys I know that ended up doing that kind of stuff were worked just as hard as the consultants, cept they didn't travel. And that meant something else ****: Consultants might travel and work a lot of hours, but at least they get their 1K status or Global Elite, or whatever, they get their comped dinners and steaks, they get their cab rides home after a late night at work, they get an expense account.

A non billable internal analyst will have to get permission to order in chinese. They'll have to ask if htey can take a cab home instead of public transport. They wont have any mileage points, hertz points, or status on any airline. Their friends will invite them to go to Hawaii, and their friends will go for $412.93 in food and taxes, while they are forced to consider a $3800 bill for the same trip.

So are the jobs better? Maybe. You do avoid travel. Your hours can be irregular - but if no partner calls with some last minute bullshit, you are done at 6pm. Theres no client to impress by sitting at work till 10pm "just because".
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow, thanks rhyme, you're a great resource.

Looks like i'll be staying corporate :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Phokus wrote:
Wow, thanks rhyme, you're a great resource.

Looks like i'll be staying corporate :P

Dont take what I say and make decisions on it. Consider it one data point and nothing more. Ask other people.... maybe my experiences dont translate to places like McK or Bain.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Very informative post. Thanks for all the information!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
If one wants to work in Consulting but only limited to Certain region, is that possible? Like say, working in Tri-state area NY-NJ-CT only

Are there any such boutique companies focused on just a region?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
If one wants to work in Consulting but only limited to Certain region, is that possible? Like say, working in Tri-state area NY-NJ-CT only

Are there any such boutique companies focused on just a region?

If i did consulting this is the only route i would take as well... good question!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [15]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos