Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
I had the same question and turned to this site. It is strange the extra curriculars etc are not in the application... maybe they will add it later?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
haven't looked at the app yet - it's on my list after I finish the current round of essays I'm working on...in the meantime:

Has anyone else noticed that many of their club websites (e.g. Biomedical) haven't been updated in a while and are pretty bare? Even things like their officer listings are out of date...how strange! I'm hoping that their folks are just too busy too update their websites...and it's only a summer trend.... :roll:

cheers,
ac.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Anyone know much about visiting MIT in the summer? It looks like they just do 45 minute info sessions then give details on a self-guided tour. Is it really worth it to hold out until classes start? Is there sufficient time for class visits before R1 apps are due?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
haven't looked at the app yet - it's on my list after I finish the current round of essays I'm working on...in the meantime:

Has anyone else noticed that many of their club websites (e.g. Biomedical) haven't been updated in a while and are pretty bare? Even things like their officer listings are out of date...how strange! I'm hoping that their folks are just too busy too update their websites...and it's only a summer trend.... :roll:

cheers,
ac.

I haven't really looked at the club websites yet much. I plan to in the next week or so, so I'll let you know if I find anything out. My brother-in-law is starting at Sloan this fall, so maybe I'll ask him if he knows anything about the clubs.

rca215 wrote:
Anyone know much about visiting MIT in the summer? It looks like they just do 45 minute info sessions then give details on a self-guided tour. Is it really worth it to hold out until classes start? Is there sufficient time for class visits before R1 apps are due?

In my opinion, there should be plenty of time for a visit. Classes start at the end of August (or maybe the first week of September), and the R1 application isn't due until the end of October.

I visited last March, but just happened to be there during the SIP week, so I couldn't go to a class. I'm definitely planning to go visit this fall before R1 applications are due so that I can get to a class.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
rca215 wrote:

If you're able to go multiple times, go for it. If you haven't seen the campus before, it's great to walk around, see the area, etc. If you can only go once, I'd suggest waiting until school starts. There's great value in being able to interact with current students, sit in on a class, etc - it helps you evaluate your fit into the school a bit better.

For me, since I currently live in the midwest, I'll be flying out to visit once classes start. I plan to scout out potential dates, etc soon and get the airline ticket booked...Also, I went to school in the Boston area and have been to the campus enough times that I can find my way around pretty easily :)

cheers,
ac.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
rca215 wrote:

If you're able to go multiple times, go for it. If you haven't seen the campus before, it's great to walk around, see the area, etc. If you can only go once, I'd suggest waiting until school starts. There's great value in being able to interact with current students, sit in on a class, etc - it helps you evaluate your fit into the school a bit better.

For me, since I currently live in the midwest, I'll be flying out to visit once classes start. I plan to scout out potential dates, etc soon and get the airline ticket booked...Also, I went to school in the Boston area and have been to the campus enough times that I can find my way around pretty easily :)

cheers,
ac.

I live about 1 mile away, so you make a good point that it's more worthwhile for me to meet students and participate in a class since I'm clearly fairly familiar with the campus. Thanks for the input.

I'd rather not go multiple times to preserve vacation days.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
The MIT Sloan application looks like it's up and live now.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Have they gotten rid of the E&I program? After a quick glance I don't see anything on it on the application or any supplemental required essays.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
A question on the app:

It asks for your letter grade if you took Microeconomics and Calculus. I took 2 Micro courses, getting a B on one and an A on the other. What should I put? Also, I passed out of Calculus with AP scores. What should I put?

Thanks!
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
A question on the app:

It asks for your letter grade if you took Microeconomics and Calculus. I took 2 Micro courses, getting a B on one and an A on the other. What should I put? Also, I passed out of Calculus with AP scores. What should I put?

Thanks!

I would put the A, eventually they will look through your transcripts anyways so it's no big deal. I'm in the same situation for Calc. I took Calc 3 and 4 in college and got A's I will just put an A in for Calc.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
rca215 wrote:
A question on the app:

Thanks!

I would put the A, eventually they will look through your transcripts anyways so it's no big deal. I'm in the same situation for Calc. I took Calc 3 and 4 in college and got A's I will just put an A in for Calc.

Thanks. The A was in the higher level course, so I guess that's more important.

Do you think it would be dumb to put something like "AP exempt" for the calculus questions?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
sonibubu wrote:
rca215 wrote:
A question on the app:

Thanks!

Thanks. The A was in the higher level course, so I guess that's more important.

Do you think it would be dumb to put something like "AP exempt" for the calculus questions?

Personally, I think that would be fine.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
Seeing those calculus posts makes me sweat a bit. I am definitely gonna be nervous when I have to put D+ in for calculus. Has an MIT student ever been acceptd with such a poor calculus grade?

Im hoping to explain away those terrible Freshman grades, and point to the high GMAT, plus the fact I passed the EIT (8 hour calculus intensive Engineer exam) on first try.

Still, i think i may be in over my head on MIT the more I think about it.

Confidence is waning....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
irishspring wrote:
Seeing those calculus posts makes me sweat a bit. I am definitely gonna be nervous when I have to put D+ in for calculus. Has an MIT student ever been acceptd with such a poor calculus grade?

Im hoping to explain away those terrible Freshman grades, and point to the high GMAT, plus the fact I passed the EIT (8 hour calculus intensive Engineer exam) on first try.

Still, i think i may be in over my head on MIT the more I think about it.

Confidence is waning....

Honestly I think my crappy calc grade did hurt (I think it was a C or C+)...especially combined with the fact that MIT is exremely popular with engineers. I tried to show high grades in other quant courses including higher level math classes during college and a good quant score on my GMAT. I also pointed out that I do quant stuff at work but that grade stands out terribly on their application. I mean its right there for them to see, so its one of those things that gets highlighted. Its kind of like having 30 years old on an HBS application.

It is my view that for engineers MIT is an uphill battle because of MIT's popularity with engineers. Yes, about 1/3rd of almost every top schools' class is made of engineers but MIT attract engineer applicants in larger numbers so the competition is tougher than at other schools for engineers. Many engineers hold the MIT brand in such high regard they carry it into their MBA search. I wouldnt tell you not to apply to MIT, especially if you can write some great material for the essays. Its definitely doable to get in, just look at what material you have to work with for the essays since they are a little "different"...thats where you will be able to show you belong.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Just to help out those who are applying to MIT Sloan. Believe me MIT Sloan isn't looking for engineers. Yes, there are engineers in the class, but Rod Garcia is pushing hard for those that have the leadership and soft skills. I can definitely say this is true because even though my undergrad degree was in a hard science, I am pretty far away from the stereotype of an engineer. My personal take on all the students I've met so far is that there is a serious misconception about the "nerdy" culture. Don't confuse Sloan with the other graduate programs at MIT. I'm not cheerleading for MIT. I have a brother over at HBS and there is a difference in the culture but a negligible difference in the people.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
I've heard that at MIT Sloan it actually makes a difference whether you apply R1 or R2 (since R2 is the last round); i.e. R1 has an advantage over R2 at Sloan.

In the FAQ section it says:

There are no competitive advantages to applying in either round. There is a competitive disadvantage to applying after the final deadline, as the decision process is well underway and the class is being chosen.

Anyone have insight into this? How much, if any, advantage goes to R1 applicants (especially this year)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
I've heard that at MIT Sloan it actually makes a difference whether you apply R1 or R2 (since R2 is the last round); i.e. R1 has an advantage over R2 at Sloan.

In the FAQ section it says:

There are no competitive advantages to applying in either round. There is a competitive disadvantage to applying after the final deadline, as the decision process is well underway and the class is being chosen.

Anyone have insight into this? How much, if any, advantage goes to R1 applicants (especially this year)?

Well, I think it might matter this year. But I recall reading a transcript with one of the adcoms from last year, and the individual said the same thing - that R1 and R2 are equally competitive. (I'll see if I can find that transcript). However, I've heard rumors that the acceptance rate for R1 and R2 this year were significantly different. Now whether that's because better prepared and qualified candidates applied R1 this year or because R2 is just more competitive is up for debate. But I think I'm going to hit R1 for sure.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  27