Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Columbia, NYU, Oxford, Cambridge, INSEAD
 Q35  V40 GMAT 2: 660  Q36  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Columbia, NYU, Oxford, Cambridge, INSEAD
 Q35  V40 GMAT 2: 660  Q36  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink]
Hi,

Can anyone comment on my individual section split? Is Q50 V37 too disparate? My total GMAT score is 710, and I'm considering a retake. My two GMATPrep practice exams both resulted in a 750 (Q50, V41).

I'm planning on applying to several Top 10 schools including MIT, Columbia, NYU, Kellogg and Booth. Will the 710 hurt my chances of admission? Will a 750 make enough of a difference all else being the same?

Thanks in advance.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
wiredo wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone comment on my individual section split? Is Q50 V37 too disparate? My total GMAT score is 710, and I'm considering a retake. My two GMATPrep practice exams both resulted in a 750 (Q50, V41).

I'm planning on applying to several Top 10 schools including MIT, Columbia, NYU, Kellogg and Booth. Will the 710 hurt my chances of admission? Will a 750 make enough of a difference all else being the same?

Thanks in advance.

Probably won't make too much difference. People get into top 10 with 690. You have a very high quant score and finance schools will love you for that.
A good/strong essay/story may be a better investment of your time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all,

I retook the GMAT this morning at the same center and time-of-day as before, but 7 weeks later. I'm happy to report a 60 point increase! I went from a 710 (Q50 - 93%ile, V37 - 80%ile, total 92%ile) to a 770 (Q51 - 98%ile, V44 - 97%ile, total 99%ile).

I went back and forth a lot on deciding over the retake, and got a lot of advice from a lot of people on why 710 is good enough, but in the end I decided to go with what would make me sleep easier at night ... at least until I begin fretting over the rest of the application process! :-)

I will say that although a 710 score would probably not have had significant negative impact on my application, the score wasn't anywhere near what I was getting in my practice exams (an avg of 760 over the last six practice tests - GMATPrep and ManhattanGMAT). This was a key factor in my decision to retake the exam.

I will include a debrief later, as I did learn a few lessons from my first experience that I wish to share with the community. I wish to thank the GMAT club community members who take so much time to respond to everyone's questions and support each other. I think that the content on this site is truly amazing. I couldn't have done it without GMATclub!!

Edit: Link to the debrief: my-journey-from-710-to-770-lessons-learnt-91386.html

Originally posted by wiredo on 13 Mar 2010, 14:28.
Last edited by bb on 13 Mar 2010, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
added link
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 802 [0]
Send PM
bb,

I took the GMAT on 24th of this month and scored 680 (M48, V34) . As, I am a entrepreneur—started my own consumer and economic research company, the company is in the top 30 in the said category in India in terms of the revenues—I was not able to concentrate much on GMAT preparation. What do you suggest should I again appear for GMAT with proper preparation? or will the ADCOM would take my job into consideration while looking at my GMAT score.

Regards
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jade3 wrote:
bb,

I took the GMAT on 24th of this month and scored 680 (M48, V34) . As, I am a entrepreneur—started my own consumer and economic research company, the company is in the top 30 in the said category in India in terms of the revenues—I was not able to concentrate much on GMAT preparation. What do you suggest should I again appear for GMAT with proper preparation? or will the ADCOM would take my job into consideration while looking at my GMAT score.

Regards

Jade,

I think you can leave GMAT Alone, even if with ISB. 680 is a great score and unless you felt that you scored 750+ in you practice tests, it may be the time to "bury the GMAT war hammer"
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi, I got 730 (M:49/V:41), but the score of AWA is only 3.5. May I just use this GMAT score to do the application? Thanks.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
yaozo wrote:
Hi, I got 730 (M:49/V:41), but the score of AWA is only 3.5. May I just use this GMAT score to do the application? Thanks.

Congratulations - that's a strong score.
I would not retake it. Were you essays that bad to get 3.5? Keep in mind that adcom will see them when they get the score reports, so when you submit your essays they will definitely compare the two and if your essays are stellar, you may need to do some explaining.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the reply, bb. Before the GMAT test, I didn't practice AWA, but spent most of time on the Verbal and only read some essay samples. So that I didn't control the time and develop my opinion very well during the AWA test section. I thought that I would get 4. Need I rescore it? I'm an applicant from China and will take TOEFL soon. If I can get a good score of TOEFL writing, will it make up for my bad GMAT AWA score? I will spend more time on practicing TOEFL writing this time. :-) Looking forward to your reply. Thanks for the advice, bb!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
yaozo wrote:
Thanks for the reply, bb. Before the GMAT test, I didn't practice AWA, but spent most of time on the Verbal and only read some essay samples. So that I didn't control the time and develop my opinion very well during the AWA test section. I thought that I would get 4. Need I rescore it? I'm an applicant from China and will take TOEFL soon. If I can get a good score of TOEFL writing, will it make up for my bad GMAT AWA score? I will spend more time on practicing TOEFL writing this time. :-) Looking forward to your reply. Thanks for the advice, bb!

Don't worry about retaking (to be certain I would also recommend you get a second opinion in the profile evaluation area from the admissions consultants); I think TOEFL will fix it but doublecheck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management And Operations
Schools:Kellogg, Booth, Tuck, Wharton and Ross
Send PM
Ok.. guys... just wrote my first GMAT exam today and I am very disappointed. Score a 650 (Q 44, V 35) when I was really seeking a 700+. Wanted to know if someone has joined Knewton's 50+ program and in your opinion does it make sense to join Knewton?

Also, what are the admission chances @ Darden School of Business with this score? I live in VA and I guess Darden has a pretty strong reputation... atleast in this area.

Need some guidance. Should I appear for the GMAT again or go with this score and apply. I am aiming for the T-10.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
sunnyrollen wrote:
Ok.. guys... just wrote my first GMAT exam today and I am very disappointed. Score a 650 (Q 44, V 35) when I was really seeking a 700+. Wanted to know if someone has joined Knewton's 50+ program and in your opinion does it make sense to join Knewton?

Also, what are the admission chances @ Darden School of Business with this score? I live in VA and I guess Darden has a pretty strong reputation... atleast in this area.

Need some guidance. Should I appear for the GMAT again or go with this score and apply. I am aiming for the T-10.

See these two posts as well as the darden dedicated thread in the bschool forum - that's your best source to get the info at this time:
2009-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-62945.html
2009-acceptances-rejections-by-school-post-results-here-73302.html
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone, this is my first gmatclub post. I have been a frequent reader of the US MBA program posts, but have not yet contributed. If I don't post properly according to GC protocols, I apologize in advance.

I have a question about whether I should retake the GMAT. I'm currently admitted to Darden and Ross for the class of 2012, but I'm waitlisted at Chicago Booth, which is my top choice. I applied with a 690. 45Q(75%) 39V(87%). My UG GPA was a 3.3. Both stats are lower than Booth's profile of 3.5 and 714.

I last took the test in November 2008 and I took a Kaplan course and did private tutoring with my teacher after the course was over to get my score up. Before the 690, I had a rough performance in July of 2008 with a 560. It was due to test anxiety, which got the better of me and I guessed on several questions at the end of each section.

Given that it has been a year and a half since I've studied/taken a test, would I be foolish to think I could retake the GMAT within a month's time and get a 700+ score? Besides the possibility of increasing my chances of moving off the waitlist, I've been told that the top management consulting firms want students with 700+ scores.

I would basically wait to submit my scores until I saw the results. If I scored badly, I wouldn't submit the new score to Chicago, but if I scored well, I would e-mail them with an update on my performance. Thoughts?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
BoothHopeful wrote:
Hi everyone, this is my first gmatclub post. I have been a frequent reader of the US MBA program posts, but have not yet contributed. If I don't post properly according to GC protocols, I apologize in advance.

I have a question about whether I should retake the GMAT. I'm currently admitted to Darden and Ross for the class of 2012, but I'm waitlisted at Chicago Booth, which is my top choice. I applied with a 690. 45Q(75%) 39V(87%). My UG GPA was a 3.3. Both stats are lower than Booth's profile of 3.5 and 714.

I last took the test in November 2008 and I took a Kaplan course and did private tutoring with my teacher after the course was over to get my score up. Before the 690, I had a rough performance in July of 2008 with a 560. It was due to test anxiety, which got the better of me and I guessed on several questions at the end of each section.

Given that it has been a year and a half since I've studied/taken a test, would I be foolish to think I could retake the GMAT within a month's time and get a 700+ score? Besides the possibility of increasing my chances of moving off the waitlist, I've been told that the top management consulting firms want students with 700+ scores.

I would basically wait to submit my scores until I saw the results. If I scored badly, I wouldn't submit the new score to Chicago, but if I scored well, I would e-mail them with an update on my performance. Thoughts?

Would booth accept a revised score?
I know many schools will not take an updated score - please check to be certain.

P.S. Congratulations on other admits by the way; those are great schools as well.

My guess would be - maybe. I have seen people go up and down; hard to tell. If you have 3 hrs/day to go through a set of 8 MGMAT books in a month, then a much stronger maybe.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi,
I took my GMAT in Dec '09.
My GMAT score is 660 (QA 49, VA 31)
Had got 720,730,740(repeat) in my GMATPrep,
600,670 in Kaplan (older ones),
690,630,690,710,740,690 in Manhattan's MGMAT.
I am looking at applying to Duke, Darden, Haas for 2011. Also NUS in Singapore.
Indian IT Male working in IT dept. of an Investment Bank.
I have 3 yrs wrk ex currently. Also cleared CFA Level 1 exam in Jun '09.
Do you guys suggest me taking a retake considering my schools and my profile??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I'm retaking soon and I've sent the scores to the five schools I'm considering. Question is for the retake, do I have to select those schools again in order for them to get the retake score or since the reports reflect all the tests taken for the last five years, can one assume that GMAC would update those schools selected on the first take of my retake score?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
RGM wrote:
I'm retaking soon and I've sent the scores to the five schools I'm considering. Question is for the retake, do I have to select those schools again in order for them to get the retake score or since the reports reflect all the tests taken for the last five years, can one assume that GMAC would update those schools selected on the first take of my retake score?

You must select the schools again; the scores will not be updated automatically (updating scores without your permission violates your privacy and also prevents GMAC from making extra $$$ from additional score reports ;))
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: ISB '16 (A$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Hi,

I am taking GMAT on 2nd august 2010.However,with only 2 years of work ex, I see little chances of getting into a good B school.Also, I want to take a risk by leaving my present job and taking a chance at entrepreneurship by starting a business. I want to give this adventure 1 or 2 years time. If I succeed, nothing better but if suppose the startup does not clicks, I'll go for MBA and apply to B-schools with my 2010 GMAT score that I would take now. With 2 yrs of entrepreneurial work ex added to my 2 yrs of job work ex, chances of acceptance would also improve. My question is that in this case, would a 2 yrs old GMAT score be given equal wieghtage as a fresh GMAT score? Or do the colleges prefer a recent score over a 2 yrs old score?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12