GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 May 2018, 21:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 07:16
Hi all,

I just took my first GMAT and have a VERY lopsided score (T 710, V48, Q40, IR6). I'm almost 90% that I should retake to try and rebalance the scores especially as I don't have a strong quant background, have not done maths since my first year of my undergrad and have until mid-March before the first round of applications is due for the schools I'm looking at.

Does everyone agreed that I should retake (I'm looking at INSEAD and IE in Europe for reference)? I have 5+ years international experience so think holistically I can make an attractive case but would be really keen to get feedback.

Secondly, if I did have to resit, what should be my approach to studying quant for the next month? Ironically, I spent 10% of the last 2.5 months studying verbal and the rest on quant. I would say I have strong problem solving skills generally but am getting flustered when working on quant questions to time as the overall maths is a bit rusty. I previously kept an error log and tried to focus on my weak points as much as possible but ultimate got thrown by a few tricky questions on test day.

Thanks in advance!
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 15:48
jenmcel wrote:
Hi all,

I just took my first GMAT and have a VERY lopsided score (T 710, V48, Q40, IR6). I'm almost 90% that I should retake to try and rebalance the scores especially as I don't have a strong quant background, have not done maths since my first year of my undergrad and have until mid-March before the first round of applications is due for the schools I'm looking at.

Does everyone agreed that I should retake (I'm looking at INSEAD and IE in Europe for reference)? I have 5+ years international experience so think holistically I can make an attractive case but would be really keen to get feedback.

Secondly, if I did have to resit, what should be my approach to studying quant for the next month? Ironically, I spent 10% of the last 2.5 months studying verbal and the rest on quant. I would say I have strong problem solving skills generally but am getting flustered when working on quant questions to time as the overall maths is a bit rusty. I previously kept an error log and tried to focus on my weak points as much as possible but ultimate got thrown by a few tricky questions on test day.

Thanks in advance!

Whoa, congrats on that killer verbal score! Any chance you could bottle that up and send it to some of our suffering pals in the verbal forum? ;)

And yeah, you'll almost certainly need to retake. Schools might be legitimately worried about your ability to handle the quantitative coursework with a 40Q, unfortunately. The 710 composite is probably fine, but they'll want some reassurance of quant skill.

If you only have a month to study, you might want to seriously consider hiring a tutor to help you jump-start the process. I also suspect that one of the titans of the GMAT Club quant forum have constructed a quant study plan for folks in your situation. (Bunuel or souvik101990, could I trouble one of you to point her in the right direction for a one-month quant crash course?)

enegoel wrote:
Hi,

I just took my GMAT exam and my Score is 690 (V-31,Q-50,IR-8).

I am an Engineer graduate from one of the very reputed college in India with GPA 4. I am working as Linux and VMware administrator with 7 years of experience.

I am targeting Chicago based universities, primarily Booth and Kellog.

Please suggest if I should try for round 2 with this GMAT score or Should I retake the exam?

Looking forward for your suggestions.
Thank you!!

Congrats on the killer quant score!

You just said two magic words: "engineer" and "India." Unless you walk on water, you'll need to score much higher than a 690 -- and if anybody tells you otherwise, check your wallet. Sorry for the bad news. :?

Plenty of determined GMAT Club members have made the leap on verbal, though. Check out this one for inspiration: https://gmatclub.com/forum/abhimahna-s- ... 49109.html

Good luck to you both!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 19:49
Hi guys,

I wrote the GMAT for the first time 3 weeks ago and got a 700 (Q47, V38, IR8, AWA5). I only studied quant because diagnostic tests suggested it was my clear weakness, and that was on and off for 6 weeks in ad hoc fashion. Based on my ESR, SC is holding me back from getting a V43-45 (it's considerably lower than my CR and RC), and I believe that I can push my quant to at least 49 with a more disciplined study regimen.

I studied at a small Canadian school (commerce degree) and have a poor GPA, so I'm wondering if it's worth retaking the GMAT as a matter of improving the academic side of my applications. I begin full time work soon, so any applications would be for 2019 at the earliest.

Any advice would be highly appreciated!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 00:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stablegenius wrote:
Hi guys,

I wrote the GMAT for the first time 3 weeks ago and got a 700 (Q47, V38, IR8, AWA5). I only studied quant because diagnostic tests suggested it was my clear weakness, and that was on and off for 6 weeks in ad hoc fashion. Based on my ESR, SC is holding me back from getting a V43-45 (it's considerably lower than my CR and RC), and I believe that I can push my quant to at least 49 with a more disciplined study regimen.

I studied at a small Canadian school (commerce degree) and have a poor GPA, so I'm wondering if it's worth retaking the GMAT as a matter of improving the academic side of my applications. I begin full time work soon, so any applications would be for 2019 at the earliest.

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

If your username is a reference to a certain orange-haired fellow, then that's pretty funny. :)

Three different thoughts about retaking:

• In general, if you think you can improve your score, why not do it? You're saying that your studying wasn't consistent, and you think you can get a 49... and I'd argue that SC is the most learnable part of GMAT verbal. So you're leaving points on the table right now. Might as well go get them, right?
  • Depending on where you want to get your MBA, the score might be fine the way it is. You're in the range for pretty much any Canadian school, for example; if you're targeting elite (say, top-15) U.S. programs, then a 700 + low GPA + relatively unknown undergrad program probably won't do the trick.
  • #covfefe (Ignore this bullet if I've misinterpreted your username. :grin:)

It doesn't sound like you have much reason NOT to retake, but if your MBA goals are relatively modest, then you might be fine.

I hope this helps, and welcome to GMAT Club!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 05:41
Need Experts' advise or any body who can help!!

Please reply as soon as possible.

I gave Gmatprep test no. 2 today (18th Feb, 2018) and score was 510(V:21 & Q: 39) the low verbal score was because I got the "last ten questions wrong", As I had to rush through at the end of the verbal section.
In Gmatprep test 1(taken on 12th Feb, 2018) my score was 580 (V:28 & Q 42) (I got 3-4 repeat questions in each section quant and verbal)
My exam is scheduled on 7th march, 2018, I want to score at least above 600.
Please suggest will it be possible??
Need help how to dedicate my last 15 days.
I have 2 Gmatprep test left from the Exam pack 1 that I have not taken yet.

Thank you in advance.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Piyush0731

Work on as many official questions for Verbal till 27th of February. Focus your
preparation specifically on those topics which are still weak for you. You can easily
find which of the topics need work by analyzing the two GMATPrep tests that you
have taken.

On the 28th take the third test(either of the tests from the EP1) and see how you
perform. Make sure to work on your timing the next time you give the exam the
next time around.

You could also read the following post to understand what needs to be done:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-3 ... 52506.html

If you are still 50+ points away from your target score, I would recommend you
to delay your exam by a month atleast

Hope this helps you!

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 15:46
Hi all,

Just want to get your thoughts on retaking the GMAT. I scored a 720 and I believe I can do better. I am contemplating rolling the dice and rescheduling it in 3 weeks. In particular, I was disappointed with my verbal score and I truly believe I can score a 42-45 if I tried again. In regards to the math section, I think the 49 scored reflects my best foot forward and I run the risk of scoring lower on a second attempt.

In summary, my personal assessment is that I have a decent shot in scoring in the 730-740 range and have a 10-20% shot of getting a 750+. Is the incremental 10-20 points worth rolling the dice for, the money spent, and the extra time or should I stick with a 720 and accept that the the score is simply 'good enough'?

For context, I am applying round one with my eyes set on the top ten business schools for entry fall 2019. Other quantifiable/relevant info include a 3.3 GPA at an Ivy League School and I work in the securities business at a major bank now.
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 19:13
jc2586 wrote:
I scored a 720 and I believe I can do better....

In summary, my personal assessment is that I have a decent shot in scoring in the 730-740 range and have a 10-20% shot of getting a 750+.

It pains me to say this, because I think that the GMAT arms race is ridiculous, but... well, if you're pretty sure that you can improve your GMAT score, then you almost always should do it. There's no shortage of finance professionals applying to top business schools, so it's absolutely worth investing some more time and energy if you think you've left some points on the table.

Good luck with your studies and your applications, and let us know how it goes!

Need an expert reply?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 04:52
Great Information, Everbody here for help.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
WE: Law (Law)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 05:12
Hi Guys,

I have taken GMAT four times and my score of last one was 620 (Q:49, V:26). I have been studying for past one and half months. Below are my scores of mock tests. I am thinking to give the GMAT on 29th May 2018.

Verbal scores (for one and half months)

1. Kaplan - 41
2. Manhattan - 32
3. Veritas - 33
4. Veritas - 32
5. Veritas -33
6. Gmat pill - 35
7. Manhattan - 37
8. Manhattan - 36
9. Manhattan - 36
10. Veritas - 31
11. Veritas - 36
12. Manhattan - 41
13. Veritas - 35
14. Manhattan - 37
15. Gmat official mock 1 - 38
16. Gmat official mock 2 - 37
17. Gmat official mock 3 - 29
18. Gmat official mock 4 - 27
19. Gmat official mock 5 - 31

I am not sure what is happening and why is there a major dip in score now when I am so close to take the GMAT :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . I was hoping if the experts could provide some insight. Really appreciate your help on this. Thank you. :-)
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 17 May 2018, 05:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   [ 170 posts ] 

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR MAY
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until May 31
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap