GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 15:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 20:50
HarshBazooka wrote:
Hello Everyone and GMAT Experts,

Please suggest study plan/material/strategy for next 2 months. I am going to retake GMAT.

I scored an abysmal 690 (V49,V-35,IR-7) in Feb 2018. From Feb I haven't touched the books. Just gave GMAT diagnostic test 1 again and scored Q50 (I never scored this high before) and Verbal 25 correct out of 36 (For some reason it didnt show score). I will need Verbal revision as I was again finding CR and little bit of SC challenging.

Last time I finished:

OG, Review (both Quant and Verbal)
4 GMAT Prep exams
Manhattan Quants
E-GMAT SC
Powerscore Bible for CR

Please suggest study plan or next steps. I strongly believe my weakness in Verbal and hence the opportunity to improve.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

In my opinion to improve Quant score further use gmatclub test and Manhattan quant.
Ithink Gmatclub test along with Manhattan advance quant will definitely help you raise your score.
For SC apart from the above tow mentioned book use magoosh free blogs and free idiom book.
TO improve CR powerscore bible is great book but I think you need to practice lot of question.

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Magoosh Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 02:07
Well, it depends. If you got a score you're happy with, then no, you don't need to retake the GMAT. ... A good rule of thumb is that you should consider retaking the GMAT if your score is below the average scores of admitted applicants at your target schools.

Turn Your Idea Into a Website-ksoftcloud.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 01:10
Jakiel wrote:
:roll:

Hi all,

First I have to tnx everybody here, without knowing it, you really helped me through the last 2 month of studing for my first GMAT!
I took the test 2 days ago and got 630 (which is exactly what I got on the preps). Like everybody else around here, I guess, I have to reach over the 700...
I read all the threads around here, and still:
1. Do you have any one month plan appropriate to my goals?
2. I already took the Kaplan course, and I have all the Kaplan materials, should I reused them?
3. My major problem is SC, so I ordered the Manhattan you recomended so much, any more recomendations on this part?
4. I had the feeling during the test that after Q 20 in the math section, I started to get questions that I never saw before, certenlly not in the OG, any suggestions on how to approach it?
5. I also ordered the new V&M official books. If there are any more smart purchases?
Well, again, thank you very much,

Jakiel.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.88
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 21:00
Just took the GMAT for the first time today and while it went ok, I am pretty disappointed given my GMATPrep scores, and how poorly I executed. I know I can do better, but my score is not bad (average or slightly above average for my target schools). Should I re-take or focus on apps at this time? Details below:

Basic Profile
Canadian of Asian descent
Computer Science degrees (top 1-2 Canadian university, UGPA 3.88)
NYC Corporate restructuring lawyer in Vault 15 law firm, currently seconded to major international bank to consult in distressed loan workouts/strategies
As you can probably surmise, I am an "older than average" applicant (hand grandpa his cane please)

GMAT Details
1. Scored 730 (Q49, V41, IR8) Didn't have any issues with the essay (I'm expecting something reasonably high).

2. Verbal section was trickier than what I'd seen on GMATPrep tests (I was consistently scoring around the V44-45 range but it appears the margin for error on Verbal is quite small).

3. All my practice with time management on Quant went out the window on test day - honestly I am shocked I scored Q49 - I assume it's because I was getting a lot of hard questions (will know more once I can get the ESR). I was way behind with about 10 questions left, so I semi-guessed a few and totally guessed on the rest...

4. I'm irritated because I was aiming for 750+ and was fairly confident given my practice test scores. I think I was a little too laid back in the Quant section...

5. I was planning on applying to Tuck and Columbia for R1/ED (my top two choices at the moment). My preliminary analysis post-GMAT is to (i) still apply for these two schools (including networking, school visits, etc.) for R1, (ii) advance on applications for other top 15 schools outside of H/S/W (I'm keen on NYU, Ross and MIT in particular), and (iii) if dinged from Tuck/CBS, re-take GMAT.

6. Should I reconsider applying in R1 given my GMAT score and overall background? Would I need a higher GMAT score to "stand out" from the crowd?

Would love to hear some thoughts from the pros! Thanks in advance!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 21:05
Hi ikcotyck. Sorry you did not get the score you wanted or expected.

Your post is more of a profile a valuation rather than should I retake the GMAT :-)

I feel you will do great with 730 for the Bschools you selected. You have a pretty strong profile and I don’t think an extra 20 or 30 points would make that much of a difference. I would start working on the essays and applications.

You can however take a 15 day break and venture back to the test center and take the test again if you feel uncertain about this direction. There’s a decent chance you’ll get a higher score. You may have scored at the bottom of your range rather than the top and taking a bit of a break with some minimal refreshing can help.

Good luck!
BB

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.88
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 21:15
bb wrote:
Hi ikcotyck. Sorry you did not get the score you wanted or expected.

Your post is more of a profile a valuation rather than should I retake the GMAT :-)

I feel you will do great with 730 for the Bschools you selected. You have a pretty strong profile and I don’t think an extra 20 or 30 points would make that much of a difference. I would start working on the essays and applications.

You can however take a 15 day break and venture back to the test center and take the test again if you feel uncertain about this direction. There’s a decent chance you’ll get a higher score. You may have scored at the bottom of your range rather than the top and taking a bit of a break with some minimal refreshing can help.

Good luck!
BB

Thanks BB! I know my post probably fits more in the profile eval section but I thought I'd try here first :-D If I have questions about adcom thinking processes generally which forum would you recommend I post in?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 21:19
No worries. It is a fine line with lots of gray.

You can post in profile review forum or in the school forums (all should have a dedicated profile eval thread). I would suggest that you do not double post in multiple places because consultants do check and they tend to reply very briefly if it all to folks who do multiple posts about the same question. Should you not get an answer in 48 hrs, I think it’s appropriate to post in a different spot.

Thanks!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 06:05
Hi everyone. My first post here, first of many hopefully as I start working on my applications.

I find myself in bit of quandary and amongst all the static the gmatclub appears to be one of the few places with people who know what they're talking about, so here I am.

As the thread title suggests, I'm trying to figure out whether I should take the GMAT again. A couple of years ago (2016) I was preparing for a local examination, the CAT (Common Aptitude Test), when I decided to give the GMAT a whirl as well since the syllabus seemed to be the quite similar - an assumption that would come back to bite me.

The quant section was bit of a screw up because I was focused on getting to the end in time and thought I could afford to get a few wrong (didn't know about the dynamic difficulty element). Then the "Analytical Writing" section came up and I had no idea what was expected. Muddled through that (I think I made a flow chart or something).

Anyway, the final score was both decent and terrible.

Verbal: 44

Quantitative: 49

Total: 750

Analytical Writing: 3.5 (!)

Integrated Reasoning: 6

The base scores will do but the IR score wasn't great and the AW score was just atrocious.

Now here I am two years later, planning to put in my MBA applications (looking at NUS, HKU & HKUST mainly) and wondering whether I should take the GMAT again. While I'm confident of improving my AW score in a second attempt, I don't have a great deal of time to prepare for the other sections and I don't feel as sharp as I did when I took it originally.

Some people advised me to give it another go but the last thing I need is to underperform on the quant or verbal sections and get a lower total logged in as a second attempt. I'm taking the GRE & IELTS (Academic) next month because they have writing sections and I'm hoping those scores will compensate, but still wondering whether to pull the trigger on the GMAT again.

And yes, I'm aware that the GMAT isn't the be-all-end-all yardstick of acceptance into a good MBA program but the rest of my application isn't anything to crow about, so I'm banking quite a bit on the GMAT to compensate. (I've got 4-5 years of work ex. but only a 3.0 GPA.)

I'd welcome any advice.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 20:11
JKant wrote:
Some people advised me to give it another go but the last thing I need is to underperform on the quant or verbal sections and get a lower total logged in as a second attempt. I'm taking the GRE & IELTS (Academic) next month because they have writing sections and I'm hoping those scores will compensate, but still wondering whether to pull the trigger on the GMAT again.

Welcome to GMAT Club, JKant!

Two quick thoughts:

• I can't imagine that anybody has ever been rejected just because of a mediocre AWA score. Sure, 3.5 isn't the greatest thing, but in general, schools don't care a whole lot about it.
  • More importantly: there's no harm in retaking the GMAT, other than $250 and a few hours of staring at a computer screen. You can always cancel the score, even after the exam, and schools will never know that you even took it. So if you think you can do better -- and I think you're suggesting that you might have some running room on quant, too -- then you might as well give it a shot. That 750 is great, but if you can get a 760 with a better AWA score, it might help your cause a little bit. And if you don't... well, that 750 is still pretty tasty, and I doubt that the AWA will ruin your day.

So you're not in a bad spot at all. Congrats on that great score, and let us know what ends up happening!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 05:16
Your new valuable key points imply much a person like me and extremely more to my office workers. With thanks; from every one of us.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 03:12
Really helpful post.
However, I am yet to take the GMAT. What would be your advice, so that I score well on my first attempt?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 18:55
Question: Should I cancel my score and retake?

Background: I have a 730 GMAT from last year (Q:46 V: 44 AWA: 6 IR: 6). I knew I wanted to retake the test and have been in the 740-770 range on all the GMAT Prep Tests (770 was Q:49 V: 47 IR: 8, generally on all are in the 44-47 range on Verbal (2 wrong).

Test Experience: Took one earlier this summer (had been 730 of both practice tests) and did awfully. Then in late August (after a 740 and 770 practice test in the previous couple days), was taking the test when the software had some issue, an error message popped up on the 2nd section, and they took 15 minutes to recover the test and it was on the wrong question/time. Didn't finish that one, so today was my retake, way later than I wanted to do.

Today: 710, Q:47 V: 42 IR: 5. I normally finish GMAT Prep tests 5-15 minutes early on verbal and ran out of time on the last ones here (super long reading passages compared to GMAT Prep, some awfully worded questions, and a question I think there must be a typo in) and was way ahead on Quant and then fell behind and guessed on last 2 questions.

Would you cancel and retake this test? I am applying Round 1 to some M7 schools, might apply to a few harder ones R2, and know some schools will take the new scores after submission. I initially was going to cancel this and then kept it at the center because the Quant is higher and one school I know takes the highest from each section across different tests. Now leaning towards cancelling.

Background: I come from a competitive demographic, am older with a lower GPA (from a top tier school), and am a reapplicant.
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies &nbs [#permalink] 15 Sep 2018, 18:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   [ 192 posts ] 

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap