Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 17:20 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
drewbrees wrote:
that does help, thanks very much for the reply. the rolling process has been a bit frustrating at times, but that's how it goes i suppose. good luck to you.

The rolling process is way more than a bit frustrating ( :lol: ), it gets a little less painfull the second time or at least that's how I feel right now.

hazay wrote:
osbornecox wrote:
Hazay, how come your profile is so unique?

Well, we both get admitted, get a drink and we ll talk about that.
I ll teach you maths, and you ll teach me your savy latin words.

On this forum I think we've all shared infos and thoughts that helped throughout this process (which as we all know is quite hard to go through), I think we don't need any of this around here.
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
anyone got an invite to interview yet?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I understand that most of the people on this thread went under review close to June 1st, I still believe that it takes a little longer to receive invites...

I've also noticed that in the new Apply-Now page they do not give a time limit to review apps (it was 12 weeks for RD and 8 for J-term), given that they've opened so early ED it may take a little longer to hear back from them, but I'm just guessing.

Hold tight... :wink:
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
Marescotti wrote:
I understand that most of the people on this thread went under review close to June 1st, I still believe that it takes a little longer to receive invites...

I've also noticed that in the new Apply-Now page they do not give a time limit to review apps (it was 12 weeks for RD and 8 for J-term), given that they've opened so early ED it may take a little longer to hear back from them, but I'm just guessing.

Hold tight... :wink:

Yeah, I thought so too.. but still couldn't help asking the question. Felt the wait is growing more unnerving.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.75
WE:General Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Count me in for jan '11 entry.
Working on my application now, hoping to submit by the end of the month...
I'm also having trouble with the second essay!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I am currenlty deciding whether to apply for Jan 11 intake of ED Sep 11 intake.

Is it be reasonable to say that applications for ED Sep 11 intake would face less severe competition than applications for Jan 11 intake?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Schools:Col ED, Booth, NYU
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
alcyber9 wrote:
...Is it be reasonable to say that applications for ED Sep 11 intake would face less severe competition than applications for Jan 11 intake?

I remember someone asking this question at the Information Session that I went to and he really pushed the AdCom for a straight answer.

She didn't budge.

I believe her answer was along the lines of apply to the stream that makes sense for your career goals. So, if you're a career switcher, you'll need to come up with a strong reason to apply for J-Term and forego the internship. Likewise, if you are being sponsored by your company and returning to your company upon completion of your MBA then you'll need a good explaination for applying to ED in your essays.

This makes sense to me and if (more like when) I get dinged from Columbia, the last thing on my mind will be "damn, I should have applied J-Term instead of ED", it'll be more like "damn, I should have developed more substantial ECs that I cared about and could take leadership roles in".

Oh yeah, sign me up for ED for roll call purposes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
StevenFaulkner wrote:
So, if you're a career switcher, you'll need to come up with a strong reason to apply for J-Term and forego the internship. Likewise, if you are being sponsored by your company and returning to your company upon completion of your MBA then you'll need a good explaination for applying to ED in your essays.

Completely agree with SteveFaulkner, I think that the difference between ED and J-Term has nothing to do with one being more competitive than the other. Instead I think that it makes quite a difference if you're planning September to go for ED instead of RD, there the competition is way more severe (in the RD I mean).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
If I apply to J-term now and get accepted, when would I begin? 2011 or 2012? 2012 right? Are the J-term applications available now? If so, are they rolling like the ED applications?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Schools:Col ED, Booth, NYU
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
osdihg wrote:
If I apply to J-term now and get accepted, when would I begin? 2011 or 2012? 2012 right?

Their site seems to imply 2011.

osdihg wrote:
Are the J-term applications available now? If so, are they rolling like the ED applications?

Yes, it looks like it is available and judging by last year's thread it looks like rolling admissions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy Consulting
Schools:HEC Paris, , Tepper
Send PM
Hi,

Thinking to apply for CBS in ER, after GMAT retake in August.

I'm a career-switcher moving from technology to strategy consulting (industry-wise). I'm well-aware that CBS is best known in finance, and 50 % of the graduates end up in the finance industry. But according to my understanding, consulting is also modestly represented among the CBS graduates (22 %).

Would it be disadvantageous for someone non-finance to apply for CBS? Or could my background/interest work an advantage making me stand out among the candidates pool?

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
almostfamous wrote:
Hi,

Thinking to apply for CBS in ER, after GMAT retake in August.

I'm a career-switcher moving from technology to strategy consulting (industry-wise). I'm well-aware that CBS is best known in finance, and 50 % of the graduates end up in the finance industry. But according to my understanding, consulting is also modestly represented among the CBS graduates (22 %).

Would it be disadvantageous for someone non-finance to apply for CBS? Or could my background/interest work an advantage making me stand out among the candidates pool?

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

I think that your working background is just a component in the overall process.

I'm an applicant myself but what I'm pretty sure I understood is that what really matters is how you fit with an institution such as Columbia, how you're able to prove it through your application (with essays, tests and so on) and how committed you are to enroll.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Guys I am currently working on the Columbia application and run across the letter of recommendation section. It looks like they are a set of 9 questions to be answered. I was wondering if one should just answer those specific questions or actually provide a full letter or both.

Can anyone help provide some insights?

Also would this kind of question be okay to ask the adcom?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have no idea how that works but probably the more your recommender writes the better it is, but I'm really guessing. Asking adcom would make sense.

Any movement for people already under review?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
lonewolf wrote:
Guys I am currently working on the Columbia application and run across the letter of recommendation section. It looks like they are a set of 9 questions to be answered. I was wondering if one should just answer those specific questions or actually provide a full letter or both.

i believe my recommenders just answered the questions, but i don't see how also having a letter could hurt (as long as the questions are also answered). worst case scenario, the adcom decides not to read it and your recommender wasted a bit of effort writing the extra letter.

if you do decide to call admissions to ask, i'd be curious to hear how they respond.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Kudos
lonewolf wrote:

The directions in the document provided by CBS to recommenders state:

"Please enter your responses in the allotted space below. Once you have completed this recommendation, please log into the recommendation website and upload this document in the ‘Questions’ section."

This seems pretty specific, so I'd imagine it's best to follow the directions and just answer the questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
hazay wrote:
osbornecox wrote:
Hazay, how come your profile is so unique?

Well, we both get admitted, get a drink and we ll talk about that.
I ll teach you maths, and you ll teach me your savy latin words.

That's not how I meant it - I wrote that message before we started disagreeing about GMAT scores.
I was genuinely curious about your profile - it's always exciting to learn that people have interesting stories to tell.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  198