Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 10:36 It is currently 04 May 2024, 10:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.59
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink]
Cookiesn wrote:
I interviewed with an alum a few days ago and I have to admit that I am completely disappointed with how the interview panned out.

All throughout, it appeared that the interviewer had little or not interest in having an engaging conversation and was clearly struggling to maintain his interest. It almost seemed like he had to be somewhere else since he kept picking up his phone to check his missed calls and then would glance at his watch like every 5 seconds. At my end, I tried hard to make the conversation as lively as I could but who know how much of an impact that had.

We didn’t share much in terms of career interests, and at one point he even suggested his dislike for I-bankers. This was actually a bit startling and I probably took a couple of seconds to recover from that statement.

To top it off he didn’t even take any notes during the interview. I have no idea how much of our conversation he would actually remember (and how much would make it into the interview evaluation report).

By the time I got done with the interview and was sitting in a cab going back to the airport, I was actually super angry and disappointed all at the same time. Clearly, I made a mistake with opting to interview off campus. The 30 hour flight would have been tough but in retrospect, I feel I should have gone for it. At this point, I can’t help but feel that my chances at Booth are doomed.

Don't forget to relay the feedback about the interviewer to the adcomm via the feedback link on your app page.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tradeoff wrote:
Cookiesn wrote:
I interviewed with an alum a few days ago and I have to admit that I am completely disappointed with how the interview panned out.

All throughout, it appeared that the interviewer had little or not interest in having an engaging conversation and was clearly struggling to maintain his interest. It almost seemed like he had to be somewhere else since he kept picking up his phone to check his missed calls and then would glance at his watch like every 5 seconds. At my end, I tried hard to make the conversation as lively as I could but who know how much of an impact that had.

We didn’t share much in terms of career interests, and at one point he even suggested his dislike for I-bankers. This was actually a bit startling and I probably took a couple of seconds to recover from that statement.

To top it off he didn’t even take any notes during the interview. I have no idea how much of our conversation he would actually remember (and how much would make it into the interview evaluation report).

By the time I got done with the interview and was sitting in a cab going back to the airport, I was actually super angry and disappointed all at the same time. Clearly, I made a mistake with opting to interview off campus. The 30 hour flight would have been tough but in retrospect, I feel I should have gone for it. At this point, I can’t help but feel that my chances at Booth are doomed.

Don't forget to relay the feedback about the interviewer to the adcomm via the feedback link on your app page.

Exactly what I am debating right now. I know the website says that the feedback is entirely anonymous but I am wondering how anonymous? I dont want to disclose the name of the interviewer while I do the bashing. Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dalillama wrote:
Cookiesn wrote:

Don't write yourself off just yet. I actually had a conversation with another applicant this week where we exchanged notes about the interview. We interviewed with the same person. My interview was exceptionally tough and inquisitive--but at the end I really felt a good rapport. With the other applicant, he said the interviewer couldn't have seemed more uninterested and actually yawned at certain points. For sure he blew it.

Long story short, we both got in.

:( So what do I do? Take it on the chin, move on and wait for the notification?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
Cookiesn wrote:
dalillama wrote:
Cookiesn wrote:

Don't write yourself off just yet. I actually had a conversation with another applicant this week where we exchanged notes about the interview. We interviewed with the same person. My interview was exceptionally tough and inquisitive--but at the end I really felt a good rapport. With the other applicant, he said the interviewer couldn't have seemed more uninterested and actually yawned at certain points. For sure he blew it.

:( So what do I do? Take it on the chin, move on and wait for the notification?

File the feedback form as honestly as you'd like and wait for the notification. There's nothing you can do now, but again keep in mind that the interview is NOT the end-all, be-all.

I think people are conditioned, because of job interviews, to think that the MBA interview is a requirement for admission--IE: you have to "pass it" to gain admission. It's not like that at all. It's really just another data point (sometimes literally, if you take a look at the Wharton interview, for example). The fact that there's an initial "triage" of who gets an interview is usually because you don't want to overextend your alumni network with 5,000 interviews every year. Even Kellogg, for example, which is well-known for interviewing anyone who wants an interview, will issue waivers to people where they don't have enough alumni and then triage those applications.

Really, there's nothing to freak out about in my view.

Originally posted by dalillama on 12 Feb 2011, 09:46.
Last edited by dalillama on 12 Feb 2011, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:ISB, Tuck
 Q50  V39
GPA: 74.5
WE 1: 2.7 years
Send PM
hi friends

i applied to chicago booth in R2 and put in the official toefl scores request on 1st jan. But the official scores havent been recieved at booth although the toefl website is showing processed. i dont understand.

will ad coms start evaluating my applications with my unofficial scores or will they hold the application and start evaluating my application only when they recieve the official scores?? im scared that they havent even started evaluating. and the result is supposed to come out on feb 16

Please respond if u have any idea.
Im reallly tensed about this.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Johnson
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: IB-4 years
Send PM
Waitlist question: Would a letter of support from an alumni of the University of Chicago undergrad but not Booth would have any merit? It would be more to talk about academic ability rather than being a leader in business or anything like that. I guess it would only be if the academic rigors are similar through all parts of the university.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
oski24 wrote:
Finished up my interview a couple of days ago with an alum. It was a strange experience. I think i was asked one question...never was asked "why booth" or leadership, conflict examples. Basically it was Q & A 90% of the time, like a nice conversation. But not sure if this is good or bad? Wasn't sure if he had enough info to write a solid report. Can anyone else share if they had a not so formal interview and what the outcome was?

My friend in China has a similar one. The interviewer asked two or three questions in Chinese and then switch to Chinese for a nice conversation about the industry, the society and Q&A for the rest of the time.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dalillama wrote:
Cookiesn wrote:

:( So what do I do? Take it on the chin, move on and wait for the notification?[/quote]
File the feedback form as honestly as you'd like and wait for the notification. There's nothing you can do now, but again keep in mind that the interview is NOT the end-all, be-all.

I think people are conditioned, because of job interviews, to think that the MBA interview is a requirement for admission--IE: you have to "pass it" to gain admission. It's not like that at all. It's really just another data point (sometimes literally, if you take a look at the Wharton interview, for example). The fact that there's an initial "triage" of who gets an interview is usually because you don't want to overextend your alumni network with 5,000 interviews every year. Even Kellogg, for example, which is well-known for interviewing anyone who wants an interview, will issue waivers to people where they don't have enough alumni and then triage those applications.

Really, there's nothing to freak out about in my view.[/quote]

You are right. Dont think there's much I can do now. Will fill out the interview feedback form and sit back and wait.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
 Q48  V40
Send PM
Hope booth provides the rest of us waiting for an invite a nice Valentine's Gift~
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management; Finance
Schools:Wharton (int); Booth (int)
 Q49  V42
GPA: 4.0
Send PM
takingback wrote:
Waitlist question: Would a letter of support from an alumni of the University of Chicago undergrad but not Booth would have any merit? It would be more to talk about academic ability rather than being a leader in business or anything like that. I guess it would only be if the academic rigors are similar through all parts of the university.

Only if you think it adds new and important info not already contained in your application. However, is academic ability something you need to address (low GMAT or GPA)? If you are okay in this category (within middle 80%), I don't think such a letter will help. However, on the flip side, if you were a low GMAT/GPA applicant, you would have already addressed such an issue in your application?

Just make sure the letter, if you do send one, is concise and adds value to your overall package. I don't think the UC angle will be worth a lot IMO...goodluck!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Quote:
hi friends

i applied to chicago booth in R2 and put in the official toefl scores request on 1st jan. But the official scores havent been recieved at booth although the toefl website is showing processed. i dont understand.

will ad coms start evaluating my applications with my unofficial scores or will they hold the application and start evaluating my application only when they recieve the official scores?? im scared that they havent even started evaluating. and the result is supposed to come out on feb 16

Please respond if u have any idea.
Im reallly tensed about this.

Thanks

Hi,
I had the same doubt in my applications to other schools. For example, for HBS, i sent the TOEFL score one day before the R1 applications deadline. I sent an email to them and i was told that at that point they only required the unofficial score, so I wasn't worried.

Anyway, we never have any visibility if the official scores were actually delivered until we receive a letter from ETS several months later.

If i were in your shoes I would try to call Booth to know what to do. Even if you don't have time to do anything in round 2, you can still try to apply in round 3. In my view, your application is either incomplete, meaning you can still apply for round 3, or complete, meaning that your unofficial scores were considered and your still in the race for round 2.

best regards
NR
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
takingback wrote:

It depends on the capacity in which this person has interacted with you. As with all referees, he/she should know you well enough to comment on anything. Unless this person has taught you or engaged with you in an academic context, I doubt the fact that he/she attended UChicago would make a difference unless he is able to draw a very concrete link with your aptitude or abilities and achievements with the neoclassical Chicago school of thought and all that new classical macroeconomic stuff that the university is known for. This would be able to emphasise fit with the school's approach. But again, I think it's a tenuous link without sufficient data to back it up and if the person doesn't know you closely.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Kellogg
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
submitted: Jan 5
complete: Jan 29
interview invite: Feb 11

Excited!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
Cookiesn wrote:

I feel your pain. I had a similar experience with my alum interviewer except that though he was nice, he didn't let me speak at all! I went through all the same emotions that you are going through now and I explored all the possibilities that you may be looking into at the moment. Here is what I figured out:

1. The interview is one of about 8 odd components that the schools considers. They actually give you a score on each component and total it up at the end and make offers to the top 350-400 odd candidates. Let's for arguments' sake, assume you have a low score on the interview, there will be many other components that offset this.
2. Do the anonymous survey. It'll help you vent.
3. Does it make sense to write about your experience and request a second interview? No. Because then you're just drawing negative attention to yourself and the person who will interview you next will be an Ad Com member who will be aware of this background.
4. So you don't have any choice but to make peace with the cards that you were dealt and who knows, the guy probably wrote a good report about you. If it's a badly written report (patchy, lacking data etc.) and he's a newbie interviewer, the school will take that into consideration. The interview is more a means to verify authenticity and to make sure that there isn't anything glaringly wrong with the candidate. Ultimately, it's a case of whether you fit into the class that the Ad Com wishes to assemble. Do you stand out in your profile group? etc.

I don't much care for my interviewer and I thought I was doomed (and maybe I still am - let's see if I get admitted) but I am pretty sure I wouldn't have made it to the WL if he wrote something negative about me. But I can say fr sure he couldn't have written more than a few lines because he never let me say anything! So my feeling is that the interview is not a deal breaker even if the interview sends in a thin report.

I hope this helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Don't know if there are more people interested...

interview-crash-course-webinar-wed-feb-16-8pm-est-109045.html

I'll be covering generic topics on interviewing as well as some booth specific stuff including what they are generally looking for and what you are assessed on.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got an invite.
We are required to contact adcom for scheduling an interview in India.
Can any Indian applicant tell how are the interviews being conducted in India: thru skype, or do they connect us to some alum?

Submission date: 01/05
Completion date: 01/25
Invite date: 02/11

Best of luck to all
Intern
Intern
Send PM
YashAgg wrote:
Got an invite.
We are required to contact adcom for scheduling an interview in India.
Can any Indian applicant tell how are the interviews being conducted in India: thru skype, or do they connect us to some alum?

Submission date: 01/05
Completion date: 01/25
Invite date: 02/11

Best of luck to all

Got the answer from a previous post
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  112   113   114   115   116  ...  185   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert