Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [2]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [1]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Due to Vs Because of [#permalink]
Kudos
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
Hi ,

Seems this can't be applied to the gmat prep question I have attached.

economy’s continued strength does act like a noun phrase , yet the correct answer has A as the answer.

Please help.

Regards,
Sach

Hi Sachin,

The basic difference between “due to” and “because of” is that “due to” is used as “caused by” and “because of” is used to present the reason of an action.

Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times, and because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November.

Per this sentence, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November. And what is the reason of this prediction? The reason of this prediction is economy’s continued strength. We need to present the reason for analysts’ prediction. Hence, usage of “because of” in choice A is correct.

If you go through the article well, you will see that both “due to” and “because of” are followed by noun entities. “Due to” refers only to a noun entity while “because of” presents reason.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

This is a question which buzzed me a lott because i was so confident in replacing 'due to' with 'caused by'.

Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene,violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops among people in their common quest to conquer nature.

A• surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering,
an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that
often develops
B• surfing’s appeal is its unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable
backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
C• surfing’s appeal to people is due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering,an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and developing camaraderie
D• surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering,a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is, by turns, gracefully and serenely violent and formidable, and thecamaraderie that often develops
E• surfing appeals to people due to their unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that
often develops

Source: Official Guide

originally-developed-by-ancient-hawaiians-surfing-appeals-102734.html

For some reason it violates the rule. Would you please like to comment? A lot of time I try to eliminate answers based on these decision points but end up choosing the wrong option. It frustrates me a lot and I can't seem to get accuracy in SC. Please help!

I have asked the same doubts. I guess modifier error is far more glaring than due to vs because of issue.
originally-developed-by-ancient-hawaiians-surfing-appeals-102734.html#p1393602
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
egmat Shraddha can you please provide the answers and their explanations for the questions posted by you
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

A. Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging
B. Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply
C. Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply
D. Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply
E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

(A) is correct here (OG13 ->#33)

(A) The ENTIRE sentence"Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging" acts as a MODIFIER that explains the entire idea of the following sentence. Additionally, a clause is correctly following BECAUSE.

(D) The first part here describes the following noun, which is "the manufacturer" --> It doesn't make sense.
Consider this example: Due to a delay in London, the flight was unable to leave until this morning.[/color] --> CORRECT

And here is my wrap up about the usage of because, because of and due to (please correct me if I'm wrong):

<> BECAUSE + Main Clause

Because a gas pipeline exploded, several homes burned down.

<> BECAUSE OF + NOUN Phrase

The laces were quite mad at the shoe because of the treatment they had been receiving as of late.

<> DUE TO + Noun Phrase

THE TRICK
Due to has to follow some form of the verb to be.
he moon’s incessant yawning was due to all the overtime day shifts he had been working.

<> DUE TO THE FACT + Main Clause

The difference must have been due to the fact that Minh had been living in a more pleasant environment for six months.

And here are some usefull links to practice because, because of, due to etc....

https://linguistech.ca/Tips+and+Tricks+- ... vs.+Due+to
https://www.grammar-quizzes.com/19-1.html
https://www2.elc.polyu.edu.hk/cill/exercises/because.htm

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
egmat :-
Great explanation but a little doubt here : -

DUE TO can modify nouns - acceptable ;
DUE TO replaced by Caused by - acceptable ;
because of modifies entire clauses ;

But isnt it right that because of can be followed by a single noun ;
like of the cause is a single noun because of is appropriate .

I am not sure here . Experts ????
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
rohitkumar77 wrote:
egmat :-
Great explanation but a little doubt here : -

DUE TO can modify nouns - acceptable ;
DUE TO replaced by Caused by - acceptable ;
because of modifies entire clauses ;

But isnt it right that because of can be followed by a single noun ;
like of the cause is a single noun because of is appropriate .

I am not sure here . Experts ????

Hi Rohit,

Thanks for your query and the kind words of appreciation. :-)

Well, I am not sure what exactly your question is. My answer according to what I have been able to understand of your query is that the phrase "because of" can be followed by a single or multiple nouns. Again, these nouns can be singular or plural. The characteristic of the noun will depend upon the context of the sentence. For example:

1. I am not going to the concert because of bad weather an poor health.
2. My brother has become weak because of the medicines he eats everyday.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Can you help clarify the following phrases?

1. Fed's Brainard says caution warranted due to global risks

2. A rating of 5 is warranted due to policy exception
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
I request someone to throe light on the usage of due to here in option. According to theory, Due to only refers to nouns and not actions.

Interestingly, a ripe yellow banana appears to glow blue under ultraviolet light, which is likely due to the chlorophyll breakdown that occurs in the peel as the fruit ripens.

A. which is likely due to the chlorophyll breakdown that occurs
B. a phenomenon likely due to the chlorophyll breakdown that occurs
C. because of the chlorophyll breakdown
D. which is likely due to chlorophyll breakdown occurring
E. a phenomenon that is likely because of the chlorophyll breakdown occurs
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
This statement suggests that the population of the prized fish species may have declined due to their being caught in greater numbers by fishers, the passage tells us that the number of these fsh caught for human consumption has not increased.

Due to competition from a recently opened SpendLess discount department store, discount stores in Goreville’s central shopping district are expected to close within five years

The loss of jobs could, in theory, have some negative effect on the airline due to lowered morale among remaining employees

Dear experts,

I see these constructions in OG, "due to" in these cases all refer to the action, not noun. Can you shed light on this matter?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hello all.

I narrowed down to options A and E, and then chose A because pronoun "them" was ambiguous in E, and it could refer to both tourists and chambers, although no sense if it refers back to tourists. But now I have learnt the concept, so great learning. Thanks all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
You say that correct form is; It is cold in Arizona because of the westward storm coming from Pacific. However on Magoosh it says that "preposition + noun + participle phrase" is %100 wrong in GMAT. So it says this sentece is wrong: Because of his troops dying from the cold, Napoleon had to retreat from Russia. It says we need to use "because" with a full noun + verb to correct this sentece. Hence accroding to Magoosh logic "...because of the westward storm coming from Pacific" is wrong because it is using "preposition + noun + participle phrase". But you say it is correct. I am confused? :(
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [18]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos