Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [3]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Research (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.33 (UG), 3.61 (Grad)
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Research (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: UCLA Anderson Class of 2018: Calling all Admitted Students!! [#permalink]
Looking forward to seeing you all next fall!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Consulting (Retail)
The UCLA site estimates room/board at just under $18k/year. Based on a very cursory check, it seems unlikely that rent is anywhere as low as that near campus (individual or shared accommodation). Anybody have any idea on what basis they arrived at that estimate?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.48
WE:Public Relations (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
IRBunny wrote:
The UCLA site estimates room/board at just under $18k/year. Based on a very cursory check, it seems unlikely that rent is anywhere as low as that near campus (individual or shared accommodation). Anybody have any idea on what basis they arrived at that estimate?

I've lived in LA for the past 8 years and I would say 18k is a fair assessment. You probably won't have the most luxurious apartment, but you will definitely be able to get a decent apartment with that budget. Apartments that are walking distance to campus may be a little more, but it's just a matter of what amenities you're willing to trade off. There will be a spectrum of options for different budgets and needs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
IRBunny wrote:

uni housing is good. i used to live in weyburn terrace for grad school and it was about $1k for a room in a 2BR/2BA. i'm sure its around 1200+ now though.

around westwood, depending what you want, rents can range from 1000-1500 for sharing an apt, or 1400+ for a studio. there are a ton of options if you look around enough. last time i lived in westwood was 2013, though, so it may be wholly different now.

also, consider Culver City. you'd have to drive to campus but it's about 10 minutes, cheaper than westwood, and I personally love the area.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
dLo wrote:
IRBunny wrote:

uni housing is good. i used to live in weyburn terrace for grad school and it was about $1k for a room in a 2BR/2BA. i'm sure its around 1200+ now though.

around westwood, depending what you want, rents can range from 1000-1500 for sharing an apt, or 1400+ for a studio. there are a ton of options if you look around enough. last time i lived in westwood was 2013, though, so it may be wholly different now.

also, consider Culver City. you'd have to drive to campus but it's about 10 minutes, cheaper than westwood, and I personally love the area.

This is probably a question for current students but does anyone think that living a little further from campus would have any sort of impact on social life? Has living in NYC just made me forget that not everywhere is a walking city?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
ch88 wrote:
dLo wrote:
IRBunny wrote:

This is probably a question for current students but does anyone think that living a little further from campus would have any sort of impact on social life? Has living in NYC just made me forget that not everywhere is a walking city?

It's LA, you're going to have to drive everywhere anyway :)

Westwood is a fun area that's mostly walkable from campus, but it's very college-y. The fun stuff (Santa Monica, DTLA, Hollywood, Ktown) all require driving to get to.
That said, if you live anywhere near campus (south of Wilshire too), there's either the Big Blue Bus or the UCLA campus shuttle that will take you to campus.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
dLo wrote:
ch88 wrote:

It's LA, you're going to have to drive everywhere anyway :)

Westwood is a fun area that's mostly walkable from campus, but it's very college-y. The fun stuff (Santa Monica, DTLA, Hollywood, Ktown) all require driving to get to.
That said, if you live anywhere near campus (south of Wilshire too), there's either the Big Blue Bus or the UCLA campus shuttle that will take you to campus.

Thanks for the info! Time to start getting to know LA. :)

Also, anyone planning to go to the Admit Preview Day at the end of January?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
When I asked my interviewer about housing, he said university housing is generally reserved for international students and students with families. It sounded like many people drove to class (especially if you're already based in LA).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
ch88 wrote:

I am!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
It is possible to get around without a car, but I would highly recommend getting one. As far as housing, university housing is generally a good option for international students because they have less time to get to know classmates before school starts and because they have considerably less time to go through the process of getting an off-campus apartment (which usually means being in LA physically to secure it as well as providing quite a few documents).

Note that almost no one lives in an off-campus apartment in Westwood. The majority of people will be in West LA / Brentwood (and some a bit farther away, like Culver City, Santa Monica, West LA, etc).
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
ean322 wrote:
ch88 wrote:

I am!

I am going too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Is anyone going to dinner at the dean's house this month?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
heyjude07 wrote:
Is anyone going to dinner at the dean's house this month?

I wanted to go to the dinner with the Dean and Admit Preview day. Unfortunately, they are 10 days apart. I can't go to both. So, I decided to go to Admit Preview Day and, sadly, decline the Dean's invitation to her home.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GPA: 3.98
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
I'll be at the dinner at the Dean's house! Hope to see some of you there!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
AnnouncementLive Q&A with Prodigy Finance

Congratulations to all new Admits!! We are delighted to inform you that we are holding a chat session with representative of Prodigy Finance on forum for the applicants who are considering Prodigy to fund their MBA education. This is the best opportunity for you to get to know about various education loan options provided by ProdigyFinance. You are also welcome to discuss your questions regarding eligibility criteria, funding limits, terms and conditions, interest rate, repayment tenure, country specific rules, etc.

Date: January 21, 2016
Time: 8 AM Pacific Time
Place: GMAT Club Chat Room https://gmatclub.com/gchat/
Presenter: Zack Hirschfeld - Student Relations Manager, Prodigy Finance.
Prodigy Finance&dates=20160121T154000Z/20160121T170000Z&details=GMAT Club Live Chat with Prodigy Finance&location=GMATClub chat room" target="_blank">

About Prodigy Finance and Zack Hirschfeld

Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has been revolutionising student finance. Our innovative model allows us to offer loans to international postgraduate students at leading universities and business schools. Through out community platform, alumni and other investors earn market-rate returns, while students gain access to higher education they otherwise may not have been able to finance.

Zack Hirschfeld is Prodigy Finance's Student Relations Manager. He was born in San Francisco, explored 35 countries across 5 continents, and now lives in New York. He has a degree in International Relations from Bucknell University. Zack loves his job, and believes it's a great privilege to speak with students from around the world, helping them to reach their goals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Congrats to all admits! Is there anybody interviewed Online? Can you please share some tips/experience on that?

Thanks,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
Can any current students chime in on the quarterly cost of G-SHIP (student health insurance)? Just curious.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts