Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38840 [545]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [90]
Given Kudos: 130
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [62]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [59]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: Making things even more difficult has been general market inactivity [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
AbdurRakib wrote:
Making things even more difficult has been general market inactivity lately, if not paralysis, which has provided little in the way of pricing guidance.

A) has been general market inactivity lately, if not paralysis, which has provided
B) there is general market inactivity, if not paralysis, lately it has provided
C) general market inactivity, if not paralysis, has lately provided
D) lately, general market inactivity, if not paralysis, has provided
E) is that lately general market inactivity, if not paralysis, which provides

OG 2017 New Question

Making things even more difficult lately, general market inactivity, if not paralysis, has provided little in the way of pricing guidance.

A) has been general market inactivity lately, if not paralysis, which has provided. 'Which' refers to paralysis.
B) there is general market inactivity, if not paralysis, lately it has provided 'there' refers to what?
C) general market inactivity, if not paralysis, has lately provided Making things even more difficult general market inactivity. No verb is used.
E) is that lately general market inactivity, if not paralysis, which provides. which refers to paralysis
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29942 [10]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: Making things even more difficult has been general market inactivity [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
AbdurRakib wrote:
GMAT® Official Guide 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 726
Page: 691

Making things even more difficult has been general market inactivity lately, if not paralysis, which has provided little in the way of pricing guidance.

(A) has been general market inactivity lately, if not paralysis, which has provided
(B) there is general market inactivity, if not paralysis, lately it has provided
(C) general market inactivity, if not paralysis, has lately provided
(D) lately, general market inactivity, if not paralysis, has provided
(E) is that lately general market inactivity, if not paralysis, which provides

(A) Making things even more difficult has been general market inactivity lately, if not paralysis, which has provided little in the way of pricing guidance.

if not paralysis is an interjection. It adds color to the sentence.
which has provided little in the way of pricing guidance is a modifier. It tells us more about INACTIVITY
If we ignore the interjection and the modifier, we get: Making things even more difficult has been general market inactivity lately

Here's a similar sentence: Standing on the corner has been Joe.
While we can say Joe has been standing on the corner, the sentence Standing on the corner has been Joe illogically makes the modifier (Standing on the corner) the subject of the sentence.
Answer choice A shares the same illogical construction.
ELIMINATE A
------------------------------------

Answer choice B is a total word salad. I doubt many students choose B :)

(E)Making things even more difficult is that lately general market inactivity, if not paralysis, which provides little in the way of pricing guidance.

if not paralysis is an interjection. It adds color to the sentence.
which provides little in the way of pricing guidance. is a modifier. It tells us more about INACTIVITY
If we ignore the interjection and the modifier, we get: Making things even more difficult is that lately general market inactivity
This sentence is incomplete. Where's the verb that should accompany the noun ACTIVITY?
ELIMINATE E

We're left with C and D

With answer choice D we get: Making things even more difficult lately, general market inactivity, if not paralysis, has provided little in the way of pricing guidance.
Here, we start with a modifier Making things even more difficult lately,,
When a sentence begins with a with noun modifier (as it does in the above sentence), stop at the comma and ask the question that the modifier raises.

So, once we read, Making things even more difficult lately, we should stop and ask . . . WHAT is making things more difficult lately?
Keep reading.... general market inactivity
Ah! general market inactivity is making thing more difficult.
Make perfect sense
Keep D.

With answer choice C we get: Making things even more difficult general market inactivity, if not paralysis, has lately provided little in the way of pricing guidance.

It LOOKS like we're starting the sentence with the modifier Making things even more difficult but the omission of a comma tells us that this, alone, is not the modifier.
Keep going until the comma...."Making things even more difficult general market inactivity, "
What?!?!
ELIMINATE C

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [6]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AbdurRakib wrote:

A) has been general market inactivity lately, if not paralysis, which has provided

OG 2017 New Question

Issues -

1) Making things even more difficult MODIFIES general market inactivity , so should be followed by it..
2) Pronoun error - general market inactivity REQUIRES a verb...

BOTH above error are corrected ONLY by D

D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [4]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

Intention of the sentence is to convey that General market inactivity are making things difficult, if not causing paralysis, and this whole thing has resulted in providing little for pricing guidance.
Subject of this entire sentence is General Market inactivity.

A) has been general market inactivity lately, if not paralysis, which has provided -> use of which wrongly refers to “paralysis” that is not what sentence means.
B) there is general market inactivity, if not paralysis, lately it has provided => Making things even more difficult there is general market inactivity =>: no verb, no sense of connectivity and then new sentence start just like that.
C) general market inactivity, if not paralysis, has lately provided => Same error
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [19]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I generally go right to the answer choices. I notice there is a lot of variation in the word lately. What makes sense? Where is it supposed to go? Difficult lately (D) is the only option that has a logical placement of the word lately. A and E would need to say “recent general market inactivity,” all the other placements are totally nonsensical or unclear as to what it refers.

To give an alternative explanation.

-We have *market inactivity* in B/D/E that we can compare to *paralysis*.

-Market inactivity lately in A. Cannot compare market inactivity “lately” to paralysis. Elim A

-This is an illustration of what I call the fork concept. The verb "provided" needs to be the handle and "market activity" & "paralysis" are the prongs.
For this reason, we need the verb directly after market activity & paralysis. No clear antecedent for “it” either. Elim B

- In C, has lately provided little in the way of guidance makes it sound like a contrast with formerly providing lots of guidance. Also, "even more difficult general activity," makes no sense.

-E would need to say “recent general market inactivity,” here is sounds like “lately” is a type of general market inactivity

-D gets the *lately* issue sorted and the activity vs. paralysis issue is a clean comparison
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [4]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

A- which should be next to general market inactivity
B- Run on sentence - 2 independent clauses joined by comma
C- Initial modifier "Making things more difficult " should be followed by a comma
E- not a sentence

Answer D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

Hi mikemcgarry

I am having difficulty in getting my head around this one; I would really appreciate if you could give your expert explanation.

In D

What I can understand, D is a succinct version of the following sentence

Making things even more difficult lately (is) general market inactivity, if not paralysis, (which) has provided little in the way of pricing guidance.

Where the words I added in parentheses are omitted. Effectively,

“general market inactivity” is the subject
“if not paralysis”, is a non-essential modifier, making it possible to defy modifier touch rule and allowing “(which) has provided little in the way…” to refer back to the subject of the sentence.

If my understanding is not correct then, well, this one is too hard for me and it is time for me to move on.

Your time is appreciated.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [1]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
TheRzS wrote:

Hi mikemcgarry

I am having difficulty in getting my head around this one; I would really appreciate if you could give your expert explanation.

In D

Here is D:
Making things even more difficult lately, general market inactivity, if not paralysis, has provided little in the way of pricing guidance.
Making things even more difficult lately - present participle modifier, referring the preceding subject "general market inactivity" and acting as an adverb for the main action "has provided...",
general market inactivity,if not paralysis, has provided little in the way of pricing guidance - the main clause.

TheRzS wrote:

What I can understand, D is a succinct version of the following sentence

Making things even more difficult lately (is) general market inactivity, if not paralysis, (which) has provided little in the way of pricing guidance.

Where the words I added in parentheses are omitted. Effectively,

“general market inactivity” is the subject
“if not paralysis”, is a non-essential modifier, making it possible to defy modifier touch rule and allowing “(which) has provided little in the way…” to refer back to the subject of the sentence.

We cannot omit the main finite verb in such scenario, specially in the main clause - there are cases when we can do so, for instance in ellipses or in verbless clause, but not here. Moreover, also note that there is a comma after "lately" in D, and your version of D does not consider that.

In addition to the above, considering "general market inactivity" as a noun predicate alters the meaning too/illogical meaning, but as you are concerned only with the structure, I am not discussing the meaning aspect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Kudos

--> wordy and awkward.

--> two adjectives difficult general are not properly joined.

--> correct.

--> fragment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos