Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2135 [7]
Given Kudos: 193
 Q29  V6 GMAT 3: 430  Q31  V19
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 432 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 526 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: Political Science [#permalink]
kt00381n wrote:
shrive555 wrote:
Political Science Graduate: Many of the professors I had in college had poor listening skills and seldom made eye contact with their students. For these reasons I always gave them negative evaluations at semester’s end.

But Professor Goodell was strikingly different. When she listened to you, you felt heard. And when she looked at you, you felt seen

The student is implying that

“strikingly different” refers to physical features, teaching methods, or conversational skills physical and teaching skills are irrelevant since never mentioned in the passage

teachers with good listening skills who make eye contact with students will receive good evaluationsgood evals are never mentioned in the passage, also even if the teacher has all the skills its possible that he will not receive any evaluation

effective teachers must have the ability to engage students irrelevant, since never mentioned in the passage, also i didnt choose this since it is too strong

those who aspire to be professors should take educational courses in their graduate programs never mentioned in the passage, so irrelevant

the better instructors usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them i think this one is correct since everything else is wrong, but i feel that you typed the sentence incorrectly, can you please double check

Where did you get the question?

E tells that who ever makes an eye contact and listens becomes a better instructor...But in the question it is mentioned that "Seldom made eye contact", which means they make eye contact at some point of the time...doesn't this contradict with E?
I really appreciate anyone's explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2135 [1]
Given Kudos: 193
 Q29  V6 GMAT 3: 430  Q31  V19
Send PM
Kudos
C is wrong because even if the teacher is able to engage the students, he or she may receive negative evaluation for other reasons. Within the scope of the argument if you think poor listening skills ..... seldom made eye contact ==== result ==== negative evaluations... to support this argument an example of Professor Goodell is given.... She is different ----why ---- because she makes eye contact and listens ---result--- Positive evaluation, which means the instructor is better among other ( according to graduate student )
E support this assumption

Source: Magoosh.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
This type of question is really rare on GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
 Q46  V34
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Send PM
i think both E and C are wrong.
i'll go with A.
wat is the OA??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
B & C are probably extreme. Hence E. Straightforward.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Political Science Graduate: Many of the professors I had in [#permalink]
shrive555 wrote:
Political Science Graduate: Many of the professors I had in college had poor listening skills and seldom made eye contact with their students. For these reasons I always gave them negative evaluations at semester’s end.

But Professor Goodell was strikingly different. When she listened to you, you felt heard. And when she looked at you, you felt seen

“strikingly different” refers to physical features, teaching methods, or conversational skills

teachers with good listening skills who make eye contact with students will receive good evaluations

effective teachers must have the ability to engage students

those who aspire to be professors should take educational courses in their graduate programs

the better instructors usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them

A. Out of scope
B. Receiving evaluations dont make a good teacher. This makes b doubtful. NO
C. This is true in general but doesnt have any mention in the paragraph. NO
D. Out of scope. NO
E. This is true. YES
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Quite tough question, and I choose the wrong answer for this one :<
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
for me it was easy one, if the answer is E :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 440 [2]
Given Kudos: 166
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
This is a "Must Be True" type question as per Powerscore

A)“strikingly different” refers to physical features, teaching methods, or conversational skills
In a Must be true question, you should not add any new information.The stimulus here is not talking anything about the physical features or teaching methods of Professor Goodell. The stimulus talks about the listening capabilty, which you can say - a part of the conversational skills

B)teachers with good listening skills who make eye contact with students will receive good evaluations
We have causation issue here.
Let p = the professor had poor listening skills and seldom made eye contact with their students
q = the author gave poor evaluation

The stimulus says - If p, then q.
Hence contapositive of this statement which should be true is : If the author gave good evaluation, that means those teachers had good listening skills and made who make eye contact with students, i.e If ~q , the ~p.
But this anawer choice says If ~p, then ~q which may be true, but not must be true

C)effective teachers must have the ability to engage students
In the stimulus, the author never talks about engaging students. The author here might maximum has meant, that the students felt encouraged as the Professor Goodell made the students felt heard and felt seen.The word "engaged" is too strong to infer
D)those who aspire to be professors should take educational courses in their graduate programs
This is a out of scope answer choice. Recommendation of any specific educational cources is never mentioned in the stimulus
E)the better instructors usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them
This is the best choice out here. Professor Goodell is a good instructor as per the author, and she usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 239
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
IMO E.

E over C because of the word "different". Its a comparison kinda. Since E has "Better". It is the answer!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
I do not know what type of question.

I think this is "which of the following is the conclusion of the argument". it takes me a long time to find this question

though I choose E, it is hard
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Ans choice "A" uses "OR conversation skills". Had it been AND conversation skill you could have ruled it out but since it uses OR, this Ans choice seems correct to me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
Given the choices, obviously E is better than the rest, but I am not a fan of this Q.
The statements, though true, are made by a particular student and the conclusion (choice E) talks about students in general.
What if there are 100 students in the class and 99 others do not consider the skills mentioned by the author important? Can we justify usually in choice E in such cases?

Pls help.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
shrive555 wrote:

oh man... tough one..I knew there must be some kind of trap..

A. “strikingly different” refers to physical features, teaching methods, or conversational skills
physical features - out of scope.

B. teachers with good listening skills who make eye contact with students will receive good evaluations
well, it might be true, but may be not. the student doesn't say that those who listen and make eye contact will receive positive evaluations. tricky one. Note how this one "will receive" makes it 100% true?

C. effective teachers must have the ability to engage students
to engage how? the student mentions only 2 qualities: listening skills and eye contact. moreover, "effective" looks like it talks about different type of teachers. C is out.

D. those who aspire to be professors should take educational courses in their graduate programs
this one is out of scope, as the educational courses and programs are not discussed in the argument.

E. the better instructors usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them
aha! so Prof. Goodell was different. He listened and made eye contact. It thus can be inferred that prof. G was better then the others.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Education)
Send PM
IMO E.

The rest of the choices are not relevant to what is discussed in the passage.

B is close. But it is not right because good listening skills and eye contact are necessary conditions for good evaluations, BUT NOT SUFFICIENT conditions. Hence E is correct
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Straight E Option........There are two prerequisites for professors for getting a good evaluation - 1) Good listening skills and 2) Eye Contact with the students....Only E fits in
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
shrive555 wrote:

Okay. Student's reason to rating bad in evaluation is
1. Not good listening skill
2. Must make eye contact.

He rated bad many professors on the same parameters

When he says But Professor Goodell was strikingly different.

He meant - That Professor Goodell had the good listening ability and she made eye contact with the students.

Assumption - In the student's opinion for a teacher to be superior he must have the good listening ability & good eye contact skills

Lets evaluate answer choices

A. “strikingly different” refers to physical features, teaching methods, or conversational skills- Not mentioned in passage and Not as per our understanding from the passage - INCORRECT

B. teachers with good listening skills who make eye contact with students will receive good evaluations- This is the implication or result of having those two skills that we discussed above. But student doest not intend this - INCORRECT

C. effective teachers must have the ability to engage students - Engaging can be done in many ways i.e asking the questions - TOO BROAD - INCORRECT

D. those who aspire to be professors should take educational courses in their graduate programs- Extremely irrelevant to the Argument- INCORRECT

E. the better instructors usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them- perfect- goas as per our thinking -CORRECT
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts