It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 21:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Political Science Graduate: Many of the professors I had in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Political Science Graduate: Many of the professors I had in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:10) correct 46% (01:21) wrong based on 767 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Political Science Graduate: Many of the professors I had in college had poor listening skills and seldom made eye contact with their students. For these reasons I always gave them negative evaluations at semester’s end.

But Professor Goodell was strikingly different. When she listened to you, you felt heard. And when she looked at you, you felt seen

The student is implying that

A. “strikingly different” refers to physical features, teaching methods, or conversational skills

B. teachers with good listening skills who make eye contact with students will receive good evaluations

C. effective teachers must have the ability to engage students

D. those who aspire to be professors should take educational courses in their graduate programs

E. the better instructors usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Re: Political Science [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 17:03
This post received
KUDOS
shrive555 wrote:
Political Science Graduate: Many of the professors I had in college had poor listening skills and seldom made eye contact with their students. For these reasons I always gave them negative evaluations at semester’s end.

But Professor Goodell was strikingly different. When she listened to you, you felt heard. And when she looked at you, you felt seen

“strikingly different” refers to physical features, teaching methods, or conversational skills physical and teaching skills are irrelevant since never mentioned in the passage

teachers with good listening skills who make eye contact with students will receive good evaluationsgood evals are never mentioned in the passage, also even if the teacher has all the skills its possible that he will not receive any evaluation

effective teachers must have the ability to engage students irrelevant, since never mentioned in the passage, also i didnt choose this since it is too strong

those who aspire to be professors should take educational courses in their graduate programs never mentioned in the passage, so irrelevant

the better instructors usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them i think this one is correct since everything else is wrong, but i feel that you typed the sentence incorrectly, can you please double check

Where did you get the question?

Trying to make CR and RC my strong points

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?" Ayn Rand

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 17:48
Seems pretty direct. You can narrow it down to C and E, but E best fits the student's requirements.

What is the source of the question?

shrive555 wrote:

“strikingly different” refers to physical features, teaching methods, or conversational skills

teachers with good listening skills who make eye contact with students will receive good evaluations

effective teachers must have the ability to engage students

those who aspire to be professors should take educational courses in their graduate programs

the better instructors usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 19:05
kt00381n wrote:
shrive555 wrote:

“strikingly different” refers to physical features, teaching methods, or conversational skills physical and teaching skills are irrelevant since never mentioned in the passage

teachers with good listening skills who make eye contact with students will receive good evaluationsgood evals are never mentioned in the passage, also even if the teacher has all the skills its possible that he will not receive any evaluation

effective teachers must have the ability to engage students irrelevant, since never mentioned in the passage, also i didnt choose this since it is too strong

those who aspire to be professors should take educational courses in their graduate programs never mentioned in the passage, so irrelevant

the better instructors usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them i think this one is correct since everything else is wrong, but i feel that you typed the sentence incorrectly, can you please double check

Where did you get the question?

E tells that who ever makes an eye contact and listens becomes a better instructor...But in the question it is mentioned that "Seldom made eye contact", which means they make eye contact at some point of the time...doesn't this contradict with E?
I really appreciate anyone's explanation.

Thanks,
VP

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2010, 23:27
This post received
KUDOS
C is wrong because even if the teacher is able to engage the students, he or she may receive negative evaluation for other reasons. Within the scope of the argument if you think poor listening skills ..... seldom made eye contact ==== result ==== negative evaluations... to support this argument an example of Professor Goodell is given.... She is different ----why ---- because she makes eye contact and listens ---result--- Positive evaluation, which means the instructor is better among other ( according to graduate student )
E support this assumption

Source: Magoosh.com

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2011, 10:12
This type of question is really rare on GMAT.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2011, 11:53
i think both E and C are wrong.
i'll go with A.
wat is the OA??

this time, we play for keeps

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2011, 20:24
B & C are probably extreme. Hence E. Straightforward.
Intern
Intern
Re: Political Science Graduate: Many of the professors I had in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2012, 03:39
shrive555 wrote:

“strikingly different” refers to physical features, teaching methods, or conversational skills

teachers with good listening skills who make eye contact with students will receive good evaluations

effective teachers must have the ability to engage students

those who aspire to be professors should take educational courses in their graduate programs

the better instructors usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them

A. Out of scope
B. Receiving evaluations dont make a good teacher. This makes b doubtful. NO
C. This is true in general but doesnt have any mention in the paragraph. NO
D. Out of scope. NO
E. This is true. YES
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2012, 00:18
Quite tough question, and I choose the wrong answer for this one :<

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2012, 10:01
for me it was easy one, if the answer is E :)

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2012, 21:45
This post received
KUDOS
This is a "Must Be True" type question as per Powerscore

A)“strikingly different” refers to physical features, teaching methods, or conversational skills
In a Must be true question, you should not add any new information.The stimulus here is not talking anything about the physical features or teaching methods of Professor Goodell. The stimulus talks about the listening capabilty, which you can say - a part of the conversational skills

B)teachers with good listening skills who make eye contact with students will receive good evaluations
We have causation issue here.
Let p = the professor had poor listening skills and seldom made eye contact with their students
q = the author gave poor evaluation

The stimulus says - If p, then q.
Hence contapositive of this statement which should be true is : If the author gave good evaluation, that means those teachers had good listening skills and made who make eye contact with students, i.e If ~q , the ~p.
But this anawer choice says If ~p, then ~q which may be true, but not must be true

C)effective teachers must have the ability to engage students
In the stimulus, the author never talks about engaging students. The author here might maximum has meant, that the students felt encouraged as the Professor Goodell made the students felt heard and felt seen.The word "engaged" is too strong to infer
D)those who aspire to be professors should take educational courses in their graduate programs
This is a out of scope answer choice. Recommendation of any specific educational cources is never mentioned in the stimulus
E)the better instructors usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them
This is the best choice out here. Professor Goodell is a good instructor as per the author, and she usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them.

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Manager
Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2012, 22:16
IMO E.

E over C because of the word "different". Its a comparison kinda. Since E has "Better". It is the answer!

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2013, 22:15
I do not know what type of question.

I think this is "which of the following is the conclusion of the argument". it takes me a long time to find this question

though I choose E, it is hard

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 11:08
Ans choice "A" uses "OR conversation skills". Had it been AND conversation skill you could have ruled it out but since it uses OR, this Ans choice seems correct to me.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2015, 22:54
Given the choices, obviously E is better than the rest, but I am not a fan of this Q.
The statements, though true, are made by a particular student and the conclusion (choice E) talks about students in general.
What if there are 100 students in the class and 99 others do not consider the skills mentioned by the author important? Can we justify usually in choice E in such cases?

Pls help.
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2015, 15:03
shrive555 wrote:

oh man... tough one..I knew there must be some kind of trap..

A. “strikingly different” refers to physical features, teaching methods, or conversational skills
physical features - out of scope.

B. teachers with good listening skills who make eye contact with students will receive good evaluations
well, it might be true, but may be not. the student doesn't say that those who listen and make eye contact will receive positive evaluations. tricky one. Note how this one "will receive" makes it 100% true?

C. effective teachers must have the ability to engage students
to engage how? the student mentions only 2 qualities: listening skills and eye contact. moreover, "effective" looks like it talks about different type of teachers. C is out.

D. those who aspire to be professors should take educational courses in their graduate programs
this one is out of scope, as the educational courses and programs are not discussed in the argument.

E. the better instructors usually listen to their students and make eye contact with them
aha! so Prof. Goodell was different. He listened and made eye contact. It thus can be inferred that prof. G was better then the others.
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Education)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 08:22
IMO E.

The rest of the choices are not relevant to what is discussed in the passage.

B is close. But it is not right because good listening skills and eye contact are necessary conditions for good evaluations, BUT NOT SUFFICIENT conditions. Hence E is correct
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 09:11
Straight E Option........There are two prerequisites for professors for getting a good evaluation - 1) Good listening skills and 2) Eye Contact with the students....Only E fits in

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Re: Political Science Graduate: Many of the professors I had in   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2018, 09:11

Political Science Graduate: Many of the professors I had in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap