Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Strengthenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38838 [113]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [19]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [13]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [3]
Given Kudos: 39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Previously, Autoco designed all of its cars itself and then contracted [#permalink]
Bookmarks
C and E can compete for the answer.

I would negate C

C) Parts and services provided by outside suppliers account for more than 50 percent of Autoco’s total costs.
- Negating this we get
If supplier cost doest not account for >50 % of cost , then it would be an insignificant investment to do for the company. But however insignificant , it will reduce cost if suppliers help. So , negation does not weaken , rather strengthen by a bit. Hence eliminated

E) Most of the Autoco’s suppliers have on hand a wide range of previously prepared parts designs that can readily be modified for a new car.
- Already existing parts would not need an investment of labor for suppliers. All they have to do is just modify the parts which would cost less.
Hence this is the answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Previously, Autoco designed all of its cars itself and then contracted [#permalink]
I know this is not a Sentence Correction question, but ...

Shouldn't "Since many parts suppliers have more designers with specialized experience than Autoco has" be "Since many parts suppliers have more designers with specialized experience than Autoco does"? The auxiliary verb is clearly "do" rather than "have".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
HiLine wrote:
I know this is not a Sentence Correction question, but ...

Shouldn't "Since many parts suppliers have more designers with specialized experience than Autoco has" be "Since many parts suppliers have more designers with specialized experience than Autoco does"? The auxiliary verb is clearly "do" rather than "have".

I will try to explain here.

No , 'does' is not correct here.

This is based on parallelism
Since many parts suppliers have more designers with specialized experience than Autoco has
There are two parts in the sentence that should be parallel.Let me break it :
1.many parts suppliers have designers with specialized experience
2. Autoco has designers as well
And Parts suppliers have more than what Autoco has

So 'has' is not auxiliary here . It is the main verb , and they must be parallel.

If use does in place of have , it will mean : Autoco does have designers - here does is the auxiliary verb that is stressing on the point that Autoco has designers and this is not necessary here. It is actually non nonsensical. Because.Because if you stress on the point that Autoco has designers then why would you suggest that autoco must give the control to third party designers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [2]
Given Kudos: 424
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
E.

Was between C and E however if you think C in more detail you will see that if the other costs actually increase, then it will not be able to support the expectation.

Lets say if it was 60% outside supplier and the rest is other costs. If 60% of it went down, there is nothing to say that the rest of the cost stays the same.

E takes a safer route and doesn't allow for such an assumption and that bet pays off
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:
Previously, Autoco designed all of its cars itself and then contracted with specialized parts suppliers to build parts according to its specifications. Now it plans to include its suppliers in designing the parts they are to build. Since many parts suppliers have more designers with specialized experience than Autoco has, Autoco expects this shift to reduce the overall time and cost of the design of its next new car.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports Autoco’s expectation?

A) When suppliers provide their own designs, Autoco often needs to modify its overall design.
B) In order to provide designs for Autoco, several of the parts suppliers will have to add to their existing staffs of designers.
C) Parts and services provided by outside suppliers account for more than 50 percent of Autoco’s total costs.
D) When suppliers built parts according to specifications provided by Autoco, the suppliers competed to win contracts.
E) Most of the Autoco’s suppliers have on hand a wide range of previously prepared parts designs that can readily be modified for a new car.

OG 2017 New Question

Hi Experts EMPOWERgmatMax,

Could you please provide your comments for option c? in option C we can see pats and services are responsible for significant amount. .

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Though the OG claims that A is incorrect and it is weakening statement, I strongly disagree with it.
My reasons :
1. You give some specifications to the manufacturer and the manufacturer will design the product to meet the specifications. In this case Autoco, in the past used to provide specifications and the manufactures used to design the products according to these specifications.

"A. When suppliers provide their own designs, Autoco often needs to modify its overall design."

So A was taking place in the past. So how is it a weakening statement?
Can anyone clarify?

Regards,
Subhash
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinjaTwo

Can you please help me to eliminate C?

In a practical world we outsource few tasks which are either demanding increasing
time or screwing up our business bottom line (eg BPO / Call center / banks) Here we already know that outsourcing parts to suppliers will result in increase in bottom line from argument , and also the time that was earlier utilized in designing own parts can be efficiently used to maximize some other activity.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [2]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
Autoco Expectation:
To reduce the overall time and cost of the design of its next new car.

A: This is a disadvantage. Modifying overall design will not reduce time or cost. Eliminated
B. If several parts suppliers add designers, the cost might be transferred to autoco. This is not our choice. Eliminated

C. Parts and Suppliers provided by outside contracts account for 50% of the cost - This is a promising choice. But this does not help to understand how the time will be reduced for Autoco. We can hold this choice for now.

D. When suppliers built parts according to specifications provided by Autoco, the suppliers competed to win contracts. -
This is an interesting choice. In general one would think that if there is a competition, there are chance people will try to outbid others by bidding for low cost and less time to deliver. But this probably would be the case for existing bids as well. We can eliminate this choice.

E.Most of the Autoco’s suppliers have on hand a wide range of previously prepared parts designs that can readily be modified for a new car.
This is classic way of cost and time saving we have seen everywhere. Reusing the existing design saves both cost and time. This clearly explains the Autoco's expectation.

Between C and E, option E explains how to meet expectation better.

Ans: E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
I would like to mention how I solved this problem. I am from IT industry and as soon as I started reading this I could easily correlate the situation with computer industry. Where autoco was like customer n supplier was like service provider such as infosys etc. the option E appeared to me the same as “re use code “ feature our industry have. And whoa. Problem solved. Most of the time if you are able to get into the depth of the argument, it becomes relatively easy.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
How can you tell that (E) strengthens instead of weakens Autoco's expectation? I took (E) as something that weakened the argument since if Autoco's suppliers have on hand a wide range of previously prepared parts designs that can readily be modified for a new car, it seems to me that suppliers did not have any trouble to begin with when Autoco designed all of its cars itself and contracted the parts out (since Autoco's suppliers have on hand a wide range of previously prepared parts designs). To me this meant that there is likely little cost savings from Autoco's proposed change.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos