Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 23:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 732 [1] , given: 40

Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

82% (01:58) correct 18% (00:19) wrong based on 77 sessions
Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have anti-lock brakes. These brakes help to prevent cars from skidding and spinning out on ice, and would therefore seem to increase driver control. However, after 1980, when all American-made cars were manufactured with anti-lock brakes, the number of U.S. drivers who experience car accidents due to skidding or spinning out on ice increased by 4 percent annually.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the increase in the number of drivers who skidded and spun out on ice?

(A) During the winter, the U.S. has an unusually large number of icy roadways.
(B) Cars can be just as likely to skid and spin out just after the beginning of a snowstorm as when roads are covered by patches of ice.
(C) Prior to the introduction of anti-lock brakes in American cars, more drivers skidded and spun out in the U.S. than in any other country.
(D) After 1980, many U.S. drivers who had specifically avoided driving in icy conditions no longer did so.
(E) Many drivers skid and spin out on ice because they fail to steer appropriately rather than because their cars lack anti-lock brakes.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Anti-lock brakes [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 02:34
IMO E. What is OA?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Anti-lock brakes [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 02:59
This post received
KUDOS
raisethebar wrote:
IMO E. What is OA?

IMO D. E is a generic statement. It doesn't explain the reason for increase in accidents. OA please?
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: Anti-lock brakes [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 12:11
E? I dont think D is right because even if many drivers who earlier didnt drive started driving it still doesn't prove that ABS wasn't effective... E directly counters this position and says that accidents can happen even with ABS
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Anti-lock brakes [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 12:14
E introduces an alternate cause for the underlined effect.
Please post the OA to know the correct answer.
Intern
Intern

Re: Anti-lock brakes [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 12:20
110% E. why do you come up with D?!
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Anti-lock brakes [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 12:29
This question best explains what will I do in GMAT if I see a question like this.

First choice of 98% people will be option "E". But will GMAT show a very clear answer choice? I think it should be "D". The question doesn't mention the anti locking brakes any where, so I am going with D.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Anti-lock brakes [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 12:47
you will be wrong. you should read between the lines. the question asks for an alternative exp. e it is.
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 388 [7] , given: 0

Re: Anti-lock brakes [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 12:52
This post received
KUDOS
It sounds like some of you are confusing weakening questions with resolve-the-paradox questions.

When weakening a causal argument, you do indeed want to offer an alternative cause.

But resolve-the-paradox questions are like strengthening questions, only instead of strengthening the conclusion, you need to strengthen the sentence that starts with the word of contrast (however, but, nevertheless, etc.).

In this problem you want to explain why it is that "after 1980, ... the number of U.S. drivers who experience car accidents due to skidding or spinning out on ice increased by 4 percent annually." The only answer that explains why skidding/spinning increased after 1980 is D.

A tip for resolve-the paradox questions: Take the sentence that starts with the word of contrast (however, but, nevertheless, nonetheless, etc.), in your head add the the word 'because' after it, and then read your answer to see if it makes sense.

Ex. Skidding/spinning increased after 1980 because "after 1980, many U.S. drivers who had specifically avoided driving in icy conditions no longer did so."

For more useful tips and tricks on the topic, check out the Critical Reasoning III lesson at gmaxonline.

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 732 [0], given: 40

Re: Anti-lock brakes [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 20:50
Thanks Sarai. This is wonderful tip.

OA is D :) :) :) :)

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 36

Re: Anti-lock brakes [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 18:25
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
But resolve-the-paradox questions are like strengthening questions, only instead of strengthening the conclusion, you need to strengthen the sentence that starts with the word of contrast (however, but, nevertheless, etc.).

Wow that hit me. :wink: Nice catch !

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: Anti-lock brakes [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 04:35
Hussain15 wrote:
This question best explains what will I do in GMAT if I see a question like this.

First choice of 98% people will be option "E". But will GMAT show a very clear answer choice? I think it should be "D". The question doesn't mention the anti locking brakes any where, so I am going with D.

Even i was with D and almost staking GMAT prep on this. D IS IT :-D

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 31

Re: Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 10:28
E explains why people tend to skid on ICY roads but it fails to address the paradox that the number of drivers who skid on ICE increased much after ABS was introduced compared to the period without ABS.

The clear answer is, more people started to drive on ICY roads. That goes with the reasoning provided in the option C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 31

Re: Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 23:12
STRAIGHT D.................!!!

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Insead '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 721 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 05:11
ykaiim wrote:
(E) Many drivers skid and spin out on ice because they fail to steer appropriately rather than because their cars lack anti-lock brakes.

even if this is true, it doesn't explain the rise in the incidents. the same drivers spun earlier as well; why the rise?
D explains the rise and, hence, is the correct ans.

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 15:36
Initial guess was 'E' but from the tip provided by SaraiGMAX I go with 'D'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Re: Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 02:23
Straight D.

Accidents increased increased despite development of ABS because drivers became less risk averse.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Re: Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2012, 02:23