GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Apr 2018, 01:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (00:57) correct 23% (01:08) wrong based on 188 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have anti-lock brakes. These brakes help to prevent cars from skidding and spinning out on ice, and would therefore seem to increase driver control. However, after 1980, when all American-made cars were manufactured with anti-lock brakes, the number of U.S. drivers who experience car accidents due to skidding or spinning out on ice increased by 4 percent annually.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the increase in the number of drivers who skidded and spun out on ice?

(A) During the winter, the U.S. has an unusually large number of icy roadways.
(B) Cars can be just as likely to skid and spin out just after the beginning of a snowstorm as when roads are covered by patches of ice.
(C) Prior to the introduction of anti-lock brakes in American cars, more drivers skidded and spun out in the U.S. than in any other country.
(D) After 1980, many U.S. drivers who had specifically avoided driving in icy conditions no longer did so.
(E) Many drivers skid and spin out on ice because they fail to steer appropriately rather than because their cars lack anti-lock brakes.

Want to improve your CR: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: http://gmatclub.com/forum/key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Originally posted by ykaiim on 18 Jun 2010, 02:28.
Last edited by abhimahna on 28 Apr 2018, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Re: Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2010, 03:59
raisethebar wrote:
IMO E. What is OA?

IMO D. E is a generic statement. It doesn't explain the reason for increase in accidents. OA please?
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2010, 13:29
This question best explains what will I do in GMAT if I see a question like this.

First choice of 98% people will be option "E". But will GMAT show a very clear answer choice? I think it should be "D". The question doesn't mention the anti locking brakes any where, so I am going with D.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

9 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2010, 13:52
It sounds like some of you are confusing weakening questions with resolve-the-paradox questions.

When weakening a causal argument, you do indeed want to offer an alternative cause.

But resolve-the-paradox questions are like strengthening questions, only instead of strengthening the conclusion, you need to strengthen the sentence that starts with the word of contrast (however, but, nevertheless, etc.).

In this problem you want to explain why it is that "after 1980, ... the number of U.S. drivers who experience car accidents due to skidding or spinning out on ice increased by 4 percent annually." The only answer that explains why skidding/spinning increased after 1980 is D.

A tip for resolve-the paradox questions: Take the sentence that starts with the word of contrast (however, but, nevertheless, nonetheless, etc.), in your head add the the word 'because' after it, and then read your answer to see if it makes sense.

Ex. Skidding/spinning increased after 1980 because "after 1980, many U.S. drivers who had specifically avoided driving in icy conditions no longer did so."

For more useful tips and tricks on the topic, check out the Critical Reasoning III lesson at gmaxonline.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2012, 22:45
Simple Q

A, B & C are out of context & doesn't explain why change came post 1980
E doesn't explains why the increase has happened post 1980
D clearly explains why the change happened post 1980

best
Vaibhav

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2012, 23:02
+1 D

The key in this type of questions is to notice what changed after the date we are analyzing. In this case, 1980.
The majority of the rest of choices talk about general facts that could take place before or after 1980. So, they can't solve the paradox.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2012, 01:26
(A) During the winter, the U.S. has an unusually large number of icy roadways. => the # of accident did not relate to the number of icy roadways
(B) Cars can be just as likely to skid and spin out just after the beginning of a snowstorm as when roads are covered by patches of ice. => the condition of icy road is also out of scope
(C) Prior to the introduction of anti-lock brakes in American cars, more drivers skidded and spun out in the U.S. than in any other country. => talking about other countries is also out of scope
(D) After 1980, many U.S. drivers who had specifically avoided driving in icy conditions no longer did so. => the behavior that have effect to the number of cars use icy roadway will impact negatively to the number of accidents
(E) Many drivers skid and spin out on ice because they fail to steer appropriately rather than because their cars lack anti-lock brakes. => does not related to anti-lock brakes

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2012, 06:11
ykaiim wrote:
(E) Many drivers skid and spin out on ice because they fail to steer appropriately rather than because their cars lack anti-lock brakes.

even if this is true, it doesn't explain the rise in the incidents. the same drivers spun earlier as well; why the rise?
D explains the rise and, hence, is the correct ans.

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 01:34
Hi bb, abhimahna,

This CR is a repeated post. Can you please merge the topics. It will be helpful for us to track the comments and different approaches.

Thank you
Best Regards
MBA Aspirant.
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 01:54
Nightmare007 wrote:
Hi bb, abhimahna,

This CR is a repeated post. Can you please merge the topics. It will be helpful for us to track the comments and different approaches.

Thank you
Best Regards
MBA Aspirant.

Thank you. Topics merged, cleaned and updated with OA. :-)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - Click here.

NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - Click here.

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '19, IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: 311 Q160 V151
GPA: 3.99
WE: Design (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 03:55
ykaiim wrote:
Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have anti-lock brakes. These brakes help to prevent cars from skidding and spinning out on ice, and would therefore seem to increase driver control. However, after 1980, when all American-made cars were manufactured with anti-lock brakes, the number of U.S. drivers who experience car accidents due to skidding or spinning out on ice increased by 4 percent annually.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the increase in the number of drivers who skidded and spun out on ice?

(A) During the winter, the U.S. has an unusually large number of icy roadways.
(B) Cars can be just as likely to skid and spin out just after the beginning of a snowstorm as when roads are covered by patches of ice.
(C) Prior to the introduction of anti-lock brakes in American cars, more drivers skidded and spun out in the U.S. than in any other country.
(D) After 1980, many U.S. drivers who had specifically avoided driving in icy conditions no longer did so.

Upon scanning the options, it seems there is a confusion between options D and E. Upon analyzing option E , if its the inability of driver to steer properly lead to skid and spin then anti-lock brakes has no effect what so ever. This also means this should be true even prior to 1980 this doesn't tell a reason for 4% increase post 1980. Option D on the other hand exactly provides reason for 4% increase post 1980. hence D is correct E is wrong.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 04:48
We need to find reason why accidents are now more as compared to past
D clearly states that reason as nowadays more ppl.drive on icy tracks more casualties or accident occur.

E mention reason for accident but not how they are not in the past.
A,B and C also mention some reasons but they are not pointing out why these aCcidents r not in past

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2018, 04:48

Prior to 1980, many American-made cars did not have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap