Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619201 [8]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: Rounding up or rounding down [#permalink]
Thanks u0422811 and Bunuel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
I believe the official rule of gmat is to round up if its .5 or above and down if its .4 or below. Though one must be carefull in some instances where you must round down at all times. For example if the question asks the number of people that can fit into a room, and your calculation gives 11.9, the answer would be 11 rather than 12.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
The GMAT will occasionally give a crazy rule for rounding, and say any number [x] should always be rounded up/down. They usually rely on "tricking" you on negative numbers. When rounding up/down on a negative number, it may be helpful to visualize the number line to make sure you are rounding in the right direction!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
There is a theory in maths....which says if you are rounding about a odd no. and the next digit is 5....we move up...and if its even then we move down

the idea is once a set of random numbers is rounded the overall figure should be closer to the earlier sum (without rounding), the usual round up around 5 is upward biased

Any experts take on this?

Would like to know this exact rule and does gmat take this rule or simple 5up rule....if so could u provide an OG example which clarifies this?

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619201 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
bullseye800 wrote:
There is a theory in maths....which says if you are rounding about a odd no. and the next digit is 5....we move up...and if its even then we move down

the idea is once a set of random numbers is rounded the overall figure should be closer to the earlier sum (without rounding), the usual round up around 5 is upward biased

Any experts take on this?

Would like to know this exact rule and does gmat take this rule or simple 5up rule....if so could u provide an OG example which clarifies this?

Thanks

Rounding rules used for the GMAT are given in my post above. No need to complicate things.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Example:
5.3485 rounded to the nearest tenth = 5.3, since the dropped 4 is less than 5.
5.3485 rounded to the nearest hundredth = 5.35, since the dropped 8 is greater than 5.
5.3485 rounded to the nearest thousandth = 5.349, since the dropped 5 is equal to 5.

Bunuel,

I'm slightly confused by your explanation and the GC Math Book. IMO, in example 1 regardless of the fact that you should round to the nearest tenth, you should always start backwards, basically that the ten-thousandth makes the 8 become a 9, then this thousandth changes the 4 to a 5, and finally the 5 transforms the tenth in a 4. At least that is the rule I have studied in primary school. I don't argue that your rule may be the one applicable on the GMAT, but nevertheless, I would be glad to hear your take on this. Thank you!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619201 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bgpower wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Example:
5.3485 rounded to the nearest tenth = 5.3, since the dropped 4 is less than 5.
5.3485 rounded to the nearest hundredth = 5.35, since the dropped 8 is greater than 5.
5.3485 rounded to the nearest thousandth = 5.349, since the dropped 5 is equal to 5.

Bunuel,

I'm slightly confused by your explanation and the GC Math Book. IMO, in example 1 regardless of the fact that you should round to the nearest tenth, you should always start backwards, basically that the ten-thousandth makes the 8 become a 9, then this thousandth changes the 4 to a 5, and finally the 5 transforms the tenth in a 4. At least that is the rule I have studied in primary school. I don't argue that your rule may be the one applicable on the GMAT, but nevertheless, I would be glad to hear your take on this. Thank you!

The GMAT uses the rule given in my post. When rounding to the tenth you look at only the hundredth digit, when rounding to the hundredth you look at only the thousandth digit, etc.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Rounding up or rounding down [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
You will never need to worry about how to round 2.5 "to the nearest integer" on the GMAT. Different conventions are used in different countries in this situation, so it would not be a fair question. I'd personally have no idea how to answer it. It's a question that doesn't really make any sense - we can't round 2.5 to the "nearest integer", because two different integers (2 and 3) are equally near to 2.5.

That said, you would definitely round 2.5001 up to 3 (if rounding to the nearest integer), because 2.5001 is (very slightly) closer to 3 than it is to 2. Similarly, you'd round 2.4999 down to 2, because 2.4999 is (very slightly) closer to 2 than it is to 3. That's exactly what you'd do if you followed the rule Bunuel described above, so that rule is a perfectly good one to follow.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92945 posts