Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.56
WE:General Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GPA: 3.81
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
sesamemochi wrote:
FrozenTongue wrote:
Guys, have quite a few friends who are currently first and second year students at MIT Sloan... the feedback they have considering all other students/applicants of their time FROM THEIR REGION, and after some friendly discussions with adcoms is:

1. For applicants from lesser represented countries (Brazil, Hong Kong etc), invites typically go out in first week of January. So have a great Christmas!
2. For applicants from higher represented countries (US, India), invites should have gone out already, and will go out for the rest of this week. Less than 5% will be invited in the first week of January. After this, if any invites go they are mostly waitlist type.

The above refers to average applicants like me, not the super stars (built and sold facebook, or scaled seven highest peaks kind)...

So guys who like things black and white, and from the US like me, good luck for the next two days. If you dont get an invite just like me, suck it up, and play life well. We will rock the universe in a different way, and show these metrosexual idiots in AdComs how to live a real life...

And for God's sake, please stop asking questions on "Should I have submitted video". Reason: When submitting the application, you either A. considered all options and took a wise decision to submit or not submit video. Then be a man, and stick by your decision. OR B. You couldnt decide properly, and didnt submit. In such a case, better start questioning your decision making ability, realize what is wrong, and take a better decision next time.

Thanks for the heads-up! The way I look at it, if I don't hear back by the end of the week, I'll get to enjoy the holidays and new year too not having to fret about it. Or as much as I can while slaving away with some other applications.

Thanks the update, FrozenTongue. Having not received an invite yet, my hopes for MIT have dwindled considerably. We'll see how tomorrow goes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Any interview invite in china???

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
To give some credence to the comment about the rolling review for US applicants: my presentation was finally viewed this week according to the hosting site's stats. And it was reviewed twice, once this weekend and again in the middle of the week. Unless it was one of you guys, I think that means Sloan adcom just got to my app!

Crossing my fingers that an interview invite will follow. Btw I'm based in Boston.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
Send PM
lb2015 wrote:
To give some credence to the comment about the rolling review for US applicants: my presentation was finally viewed this week according to the hosting site's stats. And it was reviewed twice, once this weekend and again in the middle of the week. Unless it was one of you guys, I think that means Sloan adcom just got to my app!

Crossing my fingers that an interview invite will follow. Btw I'm based in Boston.

Thx lb2015! But hold on, I was in the same boat last week-2 reviews from MA, until I figured out that they were from YouTube search and google search.. How about your traffic source? How can we be sure its from adcom?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Send PM
MBAWanderlust wrote:
For all of you who are fretting over whether or not you made the right call with your Supplemental essay (Did not submit, submitted PPT instead of video, submitted video instead of PPT, submitted a love letter instead of a ring, etc), here's something to (hopefully) help cheer you up:

MIT Sloan AdCom have a very (and I mean VERY) scientific way of grading applications based on certain attributes. Obviously, only AdCom know the full set of attributes, but the commonly quoted ones seem to be 'Intellectual Skills', 'Work Success', and 'Influencing'. This has been their tried-and-tested formula for years, and though they do make certain intuitive calls, those are more the exception than the rule. Once they grade every application, they invite the top 20% for interviews, and admit around 50% from that pool.

Now, the question on everyone's mind is - 'How are AdCom going to grade the supplemental essay, especially when it is format-independent?"
The answer is, they're not. Plain and simple. Check out the following excerpt from mbaMission's interview with Rod Garcia -

"mbaMission: MIT Sloan has introduced a multimedia option into the application. Can you tell us more about that?

RG: Yes, this was a response to this generation. It will give us a new opportunity to see something an applicant has done. Still, it is not scoreable. It might be interesting to see, and it might influence our gut, but it is not a factor in our metrics."

So there. You may have the most killer Supplemental essay, but that will only help swing their gut feel about you, and not influence your metric score in any way. Similarly, you may not have submitted a supplemental essay at all, but you may still feature in the top 20% of applicants. The bottom line is, the supplemental essay does not 'scoreably' influence your application. Of course, once you land the interview, it may influence whether or not you get the call - but that panic and mania is for another day.

Sit back, relax, spend time with family, and enjoy the holidays. Or if you're like me, shut yourself into a closet and cram out essays like there's no tomorrow. Wait, today IS the 21st of December.

Cheers,
MBAWanderlust

Thanks for this. It's super helpful.

My understanding though was that for round 1, Sloan interviews around 25% but for round 2, it's only 12-13%. That's because unlike other schools, Sloan interviews a FIXED number of applicants per round, and round 2 gets twice as many applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.71
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
For those in Asia..

I just got an email today for an interview in Hongkong
Healthcare industry/based in Indonesia
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
COngratz!!! I m based in southern china, and my interview hub shud be hong kong... Guess i dun have a chance then :(

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
summerbreeze118 wrote:
lb2015 wrote:

Thx lb2015! But hold on, I was in the same boat last week-2 reviews from MA, until I figured out that they were from YouTube search and google search.. How about your traffic source? How can we be sure its from adcom?

Well of course we can't be absolutely sure that the views were adcom. However, I didn't use Youtube since I had a powerpoint, and the site I uploaded to is a little obscure. The only other time I had any views was the first day I put it up, so that's why the latest activity seems suspect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
For those wondering, there are two open SF interview spots out of 39 total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
haxx19 wrote:

@haxx19 Thanks for the info. Can you also let us know which dates are the SF interviews?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
capmgmat wrote:
haxx19 wrote:

@haxx19 Thanks for the info. Can you also let us know which dates are the SF interviews?

1/14 thru 1/18
Intern
Intern
Send PM
haxx19 wrote:

hi haxx19,do you also see the slot in Europe? just to kill my hope for good..thx!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lb2015 wrote:
summerbreeze118 wrote:
lb2015 wrote:

Well of course we can't be absolutely sure that the views were adcom. However, I didn't use Youtube since I had a powerpoint, and the site I uploaded to is a little obscure. The only other time I had any views was the first day I put it up, so that's why the latest activity seems suspect.

I see, then that's different story :) good luck!!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
Kudos for a very good analysis. The real question is this: has knowledge about MIT's admissions preferences made its way out the masses enough to significantly change applicants' behaviors? I hope not, but then again, I'm a R1 applicant. :lol:

True. In this day and age however, where we're all so tightly connected to the internet through our countless devices, I think its only a matter of time before knowledge percolates down to every applicant. There are a number of Admission Consultants who publish interview and chat transcripts from wherein these nuggets can be extracted, and then distributed through channels like the GC and BTG forums - and mind you, this has been happening for a few years now, so there has been time enough for a significant shift to occur. I think a large number of potential R2 applicants have jumped ship to R1 to ride the 'round-with-less-applicants' wave, while some might try to out-game the system by submitting in R2 instead of R1, to compensate for the new surge in R1 apps.

Ultimately, I think its like a see-saw that will eventually come to rest when in balance - until then, we can only analyze, conjecture, hope that we make it to the top x% of whichever round we're applying in, land an interview, and dazzle AdCom with our incredible awesomeness :)

For the record, I'm applying Round 2 :).

Cheers,
MBAWanderlust
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I heard today that a male entrepreneurial background applicant in Shanghai got interview invitation. Hope it's just a start in mainland China. Keep my finger crossed!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Send PM
Not sure if I'm the only one with this issue, but when I upload my resume to the Sloan site and then look at the PDF version, the alignments and spacing are totally messed up. So my resume in word is 10 point arial and one page, but on the PDF it spills out onto the second page. I had to spend like 30 minutes making adjustments to make sure that the PDF version looks right. Presumably, the PDF version is what adcom looks at.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Shawshank wrote:
Not sure if I'm the only one with this issue, but when I upload my resume to the Sloan site and then look at the PDF version, the alignments and spacing are totally messed up. So my resume in word is 10 point arial and one page, but on the PDF it spills out onto the second page. I had to spend like 30 minutes making adjustments to make sure that the PDF version looks right. Presumably, the PDF version is what adcom looks at.

I faced this issue once - I think this happens randomly when you upload a word document and let the app manager convert it to a PDF. My solution was to download a free PDF writer tool (I got CutePDF), convert my resume (and all my essays) to PDF on my laptop first, and then upload it to the app manager. That way, I have been able to avoid any nasty surprises.

Cheers,
MBAWanderlust
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts