Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [34]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [3]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [4]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Send PM
Re: So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA? [#permalink]
JonAdmissionado wrote:
bagdbmba wrote:
Nice article Jon..! +1 Sir :-)

Just couple of quick questions-
1. What is a Low GPA actually on a US scale for an International(Indian) candidate for top 10 and top 20 schools? Please shed some light on this considering these two cases.

2.If a GPA is low for the same set of schools for the same candidate then what GMAT is actually required to offset the Low GPA?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Ooooh! I love +1s!

:)

1. Good question! On the US scale, low starts to be low around 3.2. BUT it does matter which school you are in. Some schools are more generous than others, and some more prestigious than others, and this does count. In India, I'd say below 7 (maybe 7.5) begins to look low. Again, it depends on the school... so if you have a 7 at IIT it still probably looks better than a 7.5 at any other school, and the Adcoms are aware of that.

2. Another good question! Ultimately your low GPA is a low GPA.... your GMAT doesn't actually "make up" for anything, but the idea is that you are proving that you have the intellectual and academic capacity to succeed. So it doesn't actually "offset" the GPA, although obviously the higher you get in the GMAT the more easily you would be able to convince them. What I mean is that there is no hard fast rule to quantify it, just do the best you can.

Thanks for the reply Jon...

1. So, a 8.3/10 doesn't mean a low GPA from a non-IIT college I think...Right?
But, if you convert it to a US scale by simply unitary method, it turns out to be a ~low 3.32. I hope Adcoms won't do that to make it look like a low? Your thoughts please...

2.Agree with you Sir..! But what I was trying to point out that if a low GPA is there then at least some good/great GMAT can *offset* it more qualitatively in order to convey that this guy can handle the academic rigor than quantitatively...
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I don't think an 8.3 is low at all. On the contrary! It's pretty good (should put you in the top 5% or so, if I'm not mistaken.. and Top 5% in the US is pretty much 3.7+). And the schools all know this. I don't know what scale you used to convert your grades, but I think it may be underestimating a bit.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
I don't think an 8.3 is low at all. On the contrary! It's pretty good (should put you in the top 5% or so, if I'm not mistaken.. and Top 5% in the US is pretty much 3.7+). And the schools all know this. I don't know what scale you used to convert your grades, but I think it may be underestimating a bit.

Glad to know that Jon...!

Yeah you're right - it should be like that top 5% or so; schools just don't publish that data but I can remember I was directly through to Final round of Interview during campus-recruit (bypassing the written aptitude test and initial round of Interview) because of being from top 6 of the class.

I simply used unitary method...maths don't always turn out to be great :roll:

P.S: Just curious- you must be in China at this moment as in US it's around 4 AM! It'd be REALLY great to see you posting from India in due course :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hi Jon,

Big fan of the essay analysis section of website!

I also was wondering if I should explain my 3.3 gpa (engineering + top 15 us news undergrad) in the applications. You mentioned 3.2 as "low", but 3.3 isn't much better imo.

Thanks.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bagdbmba wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Glad to know that Jon...!

Yeah you're right - it should be like that top 5% or so; schools just don't publish that data but I can remember I was directly through to Final round of Interview during campus-recruit (bypassing the written aptitude test and initial round of Interview) because of being from top 6 of the class.

I simply used unitary method...maths don't always turn out to be great :roll:

P.S: Just curious- you must be in China at this moment as in US it's around 4 AM! It'd be REALLY great to see you posting from India in due course :)

Haha! Thanks man! Yeah, china is NUTS! If I were two people, I'd send half of me to India for sure! But one thing at a time :)
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Blax0r wrote:
Hi Jon,

Big fan of the essay analysis section of website!

I also was wondering if I should explain my 3.3 gpa (engineering + top 15 us news undergrad) in the applications. You mentioned 3.2 as "low", but 3.3 isn't much better imo.

Thanks.

Thank you! I like big fans! :)

Naaaaah don't write anything about a 3.3. It's too good to write an essay about.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Jon-
I just did an evaluation on WES to get a sense of how does it stack up...!

Before that a quick refresher on my GPA per Indian scale - First Class with 82.6% or 8.26/10 in engineering from a non-IIT college. Top 6 of the department.

PLEASE Note that my university awards grades on a scale of 10 in the form of range such as 9 on 10 means 90-100; 8 on 10 means 80-89; 7 on 10 means 70-79 etc.So, I've calculated two instances although there is a very little difference in the end result in WES score.

1. Considering I got at least the lowest value of any range i.e 9 refers to 90, 8 refers to 80: WES GPA 3.96

2.Considering I got the average value of any range i.e 9 refers to 95, 8 refers to 85 (I think this is the IDEAL case-to take average) : WES GPA 3.97

I think, 3.96 or 3.97 is above any school's middle 80% range. Please let me know your thoughts.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
bagdbmba wrote:
Hey Jon-

Before that a quick refresher on my GPA per Indian scale - First Class with 82.6% or 8.26/10 in engineering from a non-IIT college. Top 6 of the department.

PLEASE Note that my university awards grades on a scale of 10 in the form of range such as 9 on 10 means 90-100; 8 on 10 means 80-89; 7 on 10 means 70-79 etc.So, I've calculated two instances although there is a very little difference in the end result in WES score.

1. Considering I got at least the lowest value of any range i.e 9 refers to 90, 8 refers to 80: WES GPA 3.96

2.Considering I got the average value of any range i.e 9 refers to 95, 8 refers to 85 (I think this is the IDEAL case-to take average) : WES GPA 3.97

I think, 3.96 or 3.97 is above any school's middle 80% range. Please let me know your thoughts.

Hey there!
Well 82.6 is pretty darn good for an Indian school. I know though that it depends from school to good, and although WES is a great resource to get a pretty general idea, no conversion will you get a precise answer. But maybe there's a better way to look at it: Do you know what percentile you were in? top 10%? Top 5%? Top 1%? What about your ranking (not just in your department but your whole year)? As well as the ranking of your school. These facts when taken together can reveal more about your standing than a pure numerical conversion.

Hope this helps!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
bagdbmba wrote:
Hey Jon-

Hey there!
Well 82.6 is pretty darn good for an Indian school. I know though that it depends from school to good, and although WES is a great resource to get a pretty general idea, no conversion will you get a precise answer. But maybe there's a better way to look at it: Do you know what percentile you were in? top 10%? Top 5%? Top 1%? What about your ranking (not just in your department but your whole year)? As well as the ranking of your school. These facts when taken together can reveal more about your standing than a pure numerical conversion.

Hope this helps!

Hi Jon,
Thanks for your reply.
I was in top 10% of the the class and also in top 6 in my department ; although schools just don't publish that data but I can remember I was directly through to the Final round of Interview during campus-recruit (bypassing/jumping over the written aptitude test and initial round of Interview) because of this ranking (that's the only time we had something called *ranking*). So as you understand they don't break it down further...

Ranking of my school- as I've mentioned it's a non-IIT engineering college.Hence, you may say tier 2 school.And oh! it's in the top 10 colleges of my state.

So,any thoughts where do I stand now?
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
bagdbmba wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
bagdbmba wrote:
Hey Jon-

Hey there!

Hope this helps!

Hi Jon,
Thanks for your reply.
I was in top 10% of the the class and also in top 6 in my department ; although schools just don't publish that data but I can remember I was directly through to the Final round of Interview during campus-recruit (bypassing/jumping over the written aptitude test and initial round of Interview) because of this ranking (that's the only time we had something called *ranking*). So as you understand they don't break it down further...

Ranking of my school- as I've mentioned it's a non-IIT engineering college.Hence, you may say tier 2 school.And oh! it's in the top 10 colleges of my state.

So,any thoughts where do I stand now?

So what I suggest you do is that when you report your GPA include these two facts:
1. You were top 6 in your department (plus dept. size if it's big)
2. That your school is one of the top 10 in the state.

That way you give your profile the biggest possible boost.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Post [#permalink]
This post has been removed

Originally posted by brownman777 on 12 Jan 2015, 16:23.
Last edited by brownman777 on 23 Jul 2017, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
brownman777 wrote:
I graduated with a 3.13 from a Top 15 engineering school. Should I retake some calculus, statistics and economics courses at a community college and get A's to show that I am capable of this material? Applying to Booth and Kellogg.

Hey,
First of all, have you already taken this coursework? How are your grades? Do you work with these maths?
Do you have a GMAT score?

I am asking because unless Quant is a particular problem, I'm not sure that it will help you thaaaaaat much, and anyhow the single best thing you can do is do great on your GMAT, and it may be more worth your while to stick your energies in there.

Best,
JF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi all,

I would like to know whether volunteering in any (Oxfam and etc.) non profit work is taken into account by adcoms? Or this must not be volunteering, but full time job? What are your take ons? ))
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
mrslee wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to know whether volunteering in any (Oxfam and etc.) non profit work is taken into account by adcoms? Or this must not be volunteering, but full time job? What are your take ons? ))

Of course! Volunteering is a very important part of your profile.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Hello Jon,

I have low GPA, pretty low in-fact. 6.2 out of 10 :cry: :cry: , from a very prestigious college in India, (3rd oldest engineering college in Asia). I have GMAT of 730. I am working a as concept designer for India's largest automobile company, making concept designs and feasibility solutions for them. Basically design studio work. Will Kellogg, Yale SOM and UVA will be stretch schools for me. I am also preparing "Alternate transcripts" fro UCLA. Please let me know if I am shooting for the stars.
Admissionado
Send PM
So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Arnav180 wrote:
Hello Jon,

I have low GPA, pretty low in-fact. 6.2 out of 10 :cry: :cry: , from a very prestigious college in India, (3rd oldest engineering college in Asia). I have GMAT of 730. I am working a as concept designer for India's largest automobile company, making concept designs and feasibility solutions for them. Basically design studio work. Will Kellogg, Yale SOM and UVA will be stretch schools for me. I am also preparing "Alternate transcripts" fro UCLA. Please let me know if I am shooting for the stars.

Hey Arnav,
Well first of all, let me say that by getting a 730 you did the first most important thing you could in order to deal with your lower grade. And that's great.

Keep in mind though that all schools, even top schools will evaluate things holistically, so if you have other really incredible stuff in your profile it can balance out even a very low grade.

It's hard for me to say because you didn't really post much detail about your work experience, volunteer work, extra currics, university etc. But if you would like a full evaluation feel free to either post more detail here in the forum (open a new thread) or drop us a line here: https://bit.ly/mbafcGC for a free consultation.

Best,
Jon
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Sales (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi!

I have what I feel is a unique situation in that I made two decisions during my time at school which resulted in my very low GPA (1.9/4)but I have zero regrets and are probably the reason why my career to date has been as successful as it is.
1. Started my own business in first year and ran it for the next 12-18 months. failed a heap of classes and just passed the rest during this time. However no regrets and would not change this experience for a higher GPA. It matured me, gave me confidence and helped grow my soft skills to a point well beyond my university peers
2. Final year of school worked for a start up that ended up becoming a multi-million dollar a year business. I worked directly with the CEO/founder in return for experience. spent most of my time outside of university classes working with the founder.

On top of all the above I maintained a part time job 20-30hrs a week.

I feel that there is a good angle here and reason for justification. What are your thoughts?
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts