It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 19:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 5521

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 48

Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2015, 04:52
Arnav180 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Arnav180 wrote:
Hello Jon,

I have low GPA, pretty low in-fact. 6.2 out of 10 :cry: :cry: , from a very prestigious college in India, (3rd oldest engineering college in Asia). I have GMAT of 730. I am working a as concept designer for India's largest automobile company, making concept designs and feasibility solutions for them. Basically design studio work. Will Kellogg, Yale SOM and UVA will be stretch schools for me. I am also preparing "Alternate transcripts" fro UCLA. Please let me know if I am shooting for the stars.


Hey Arnav,
Well first of all, let me say that by getting a730 you did the first most important thing you could in order to deal with your lower grade. And that's great.

Keep in mind though that all schools, even top schools will evaluate things holistically, so if you have other really incredible stuff in your profile it can balance out even a very low grade.

It's hard for me to say because you didn't really post much detail about your work experience, volunteer work, extra currics, university etc. But if you would like a full evaluation feel free to either post more detail here in the forum (open a new thread) or drop us a line here: http://bit.ly/mbafcGC for a free consultation.

Best,
Jon


Hello Jon,

Thanks for such a prompt reply.

About my WE: I work for the design studio of India's largest automakers and have helped design some of the most iconic vehicles of Indian transportation industry. I develop the designs with teams from almost every department of the company and help them in making those design feasible in real world. I design and develop concept vehicles and facelifts of existing vehicle. Basically I bring the design and engineering on a same platform to make awesome cars. 8-) . Currently i am leading a team of 3 more designers to do the same, make awesome cars. :lol:

My GPA: My GPA converts to 3.0/4.0 in US system. I checked it with WES

My vol exp: 1. I have worked for energy management and conservation energy group in researching technologies which store and provide extra electricity during the consumption at peak hours. I also did market research and framed policy guidelines which one company might use for effective deployment of electric vehicles in developed and develping world
2. I have been involved with with an children's organization which has learning centres Pune and Mumbai. I have been managing one of the centres on pro bono basis and have been teaching high school girls english and mathematics for past one year.

College Extra curricular were also very strong, leading teams in engineering design competitions; managing funds, personnel and equipment for national level technical festivals; started an entrepreneurship cell in college and integrated it with National entrepreneurship network, which later was converted into a full fledged institute receiving funds from various sources.


and if you can provide feed back based on this information, i will be grateful.


Hey Arnav,

From what you have written here, I'd estimate that you can apply to Top 10 schools like Kellogg and Yale as dream schools. With your GMAT you are competitive, but they will have a lot of candidate from India and unfortunately a lot of them will be from IITs with 75%+ and big finance jobs. Of course with passion and an amazing story about how you will design the cars of the future, you can increase your chances, but I think the "competitive" range would be more in the 10-20 range, so schools like UVA, and UCLA. Which means that you did a pretty good job picking schools. :)

Just add 1-2 more and you will be good,

Best,
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 48

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2015
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

WE: Sales (Transportation)
Re: So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2016, 10:49
Hi!

I have what I feel is a unique situation in that I made two decisions during my time at school which resulted in my very low GPA (1.9/4)but I have zero regrets and are probably the reason why my career to date has been as successful as it is.
1. Started my own business in first year and ran it for the next 12-18 months. failed a heap of classes and just passed the rest during this time. However no regrets and would not change this experience for a higher GPA. It matured me, gave me confidence and helped grow my soft skills to a point well beyond my university peers
2. Final year of school worked for a start up that ended up becoming a multi-million dollar a year business. I worked directly with the CEO/founder in return for experience. spent most of my time outside of university classes working with the founder.

On top of all the above I maintained a part time job 20-30hrs a week.

I feel that there is a good angle here and reason for justification. What are your thoughts?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 5521

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 48

Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 01:13
mpcroaming wrote:
Hi!

I have what I feel is a unique situation in that I made two decisions during my time at school which resulted in my very low GPA (1.9/4)but I have zero regrets and are probably the reason why my career to date has been as successful as it is.
1. Started my own business in first year and ran it for the next 12-18 months. failed a heap of classes and just passed the rest during this time. However no regrets and would not change this experience for a higher GPA. It matured me, gave me confidence and helped grow my soft skills to a point well beyond my university peers
2. Final year of school worked for a start up that ended up becoming a multi-million dollar a year business. I worked directly with the CEO/founder in return for experience. spent most of my time outside of university classes working with the founder.

On top of all the above I maintained a part time job 20-30hrs a week.

I feel that there is a good angle here and reason for justification. What are your thoughts?


Well it will for sure help explain, but it wont efface it. Plus your GPA is not just low, but very very low. A 1.9 will make top 20 schools more or less out of range. But the important thing is that even if you have good reasons, when you explain, don't "justify" and do take the blame upon yourself.

I hope this helps!!!
Jon
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 48

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 May 2016
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Re: So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 18:32
Jon,

Let me know what you think of this situation please:

2.63 GMAT from UPenn, 770 GMAT.

After freshman year my GPA was ~2 (marginally higher), had attempted to double major and loaded up on hard classes, was on the varsity track team (overtrained, got bad pneumonia), held two jobs, didn't attempt to protect my GPA at all. Was much better from there on out, focused just on Econ, and got a B or better in all my intermediate/advanced econ coursework. I'm also narcoleptic and wasn't diagnosed/treated until the end of junior year, which needless to say made it hard to study and focus in class (passed out in a few of them). Now I know the idea here is to focus more on the improvement narrative (which I can do with the GPA increase and coursework performance) and not make excuses, but given that there are some mitigating circumstances here (particularly in the health department) and I have a high GMAT score, wanted to get your thoughts on how you'd frame/approach things.

Thank you for your help.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 5521

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 48

Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 20:49
firstsandwich wrote:
Jon,

Let me know what you think of this situation please:

2.63 GMAT from UPenn, 770 GMAT.

After freshman year my GPA was ~2 (marginally higher), had attempted to double major and loaded up on hard classes, was on the varsity track team (overtrained, got bad pneumonia), held two jobs, didn't attempt to protect my GPA at all. Was much better from there on out, focused just on Econ, and got a B or better in all my intermediate/advanced econ coursework. I'm also narcoleptic and wasn't diagnosed/treated until the end of junior year, which needless to say made it hard to study and focus in class (passed out in a few of them). Now I know the idea here is to focus more on the improvement narrative (which I can do with the GPA increase and coursework performance) and not make excuses, but given that there are some mitigating circumstances here (particularly in the health department) and I have a high GMAT score, wanted to get your thoughts on how you'd frame/approach things.

Thank you for your help.


Thank you for your help.[/quote]

Hey there,
Well I think your GMAT proves you are very very smart. So my take is esp. since you have good reasons, is that you own up. Meaning, come clean - admit you screwed up. Give your reasons nice and quick and cold (without pathos, which would make them into "Excuses") and get it out there. You have many reasons so you may have to play around with your story a bit to get out the best and most effective narrative, but basically you need to let every school you apply to your story.

And I admit, it's a fine line to walk - giving reasons that don't transform into excuses. But it's very doable.

Best,
Jon
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 48

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2017
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 18:34
Is this post still active? I would like to ask a question


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 5521

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 48

Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 22:43
Uha68 wrote:
Is this post still active? I would like to ask a question


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum


Go for it :)
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 48

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 24 Dec 2016
Posts: 65

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.21
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 13:58
Dear John,

I would like to know whether I have chances with GPA 3.2
My GMAT will be somewhat close to 730 with Quant 50+
I am on third year and I apply on October to Marshall Business School, Business Analytcs. Please read my brief story to understand whether I have an excuse for such a low GPA

So here is my brief story. When I entered the University (BA in Business) it all started well, but since the mid-November (1 year) I kept getting ill all the time, I lost the weight, concentration. My average temperature during that time was 37.5, but I didn't bother going to doctor. Moreover, I was so bad that I even had to skip one of my final exams and failed. The next semester nothing changed - only strange rash appeared on my skin and finally in early March I woke up and realised that I cannot move my legs and hands and I had to lie in the bed paralysed for more than 4 hours until my roommate came and called for an ambulance. It turned out that I had Vasculitis (very rare and dangerous illness) and I spent 2 weeks in the Hospital. For that reason, I performed poorly that semester and failed 2 out 4 classes. I got on probation, an event that had such a discouraging effect on me that I didn't even attend most of the classes the next semester and a half until one day I realised that it cannot continue this way so I started studying. My GPA for the last 2 semesters ( I have still 2 semesters but I apply on October) is 3.8and that is under extra pressure (I had to take 2 more classes each semester to catch up and graduate on time)

I would like to know whether my illness may be an excuse for the low GPA and whether 3.8 of Upper-Level GPA will be considered?
_________________

If you find my solution useful, hit the "Kudos" button

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 33

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
B
Joined: 21 Sep 2016
Posts: 104

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 36

Location: India
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GRE 1: 319 Q170 V149
GPA: 2.81
Re: So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 22:36
Jon,

Please let me know your thoughts on this:

My undergrad GPA is 6.4 on a scale of 10 from a Top 15 school in India. Though my GPA is highest in the final year, it doesn't follow a fixed trend. I am planning to retake my GMAT, expecting a score in the range of 710-740.

I am a professional Chess player and also a registered online chess coach. My GPA dropped due to my heavy participation heavily in Inter State and National Level Chess Tournaments. In my final year of undergrad, I was involved in my ChessBase startup, where I worked for one year after undergrad. I have even undertaken lots of activities in the Non Profit sector to spread my love for the game. Should I use these in the optional essay to mitigate my low GPA?

I am also planning to take the online course from MBAMath.com. Does this step make sense provided that I am expecting a Quant score of 50 in GMAT?

Thank you in advance.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 36

Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 5521

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 48

Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 02:37
vivek6199 wrote:
Jon,

Please let me know your thoughts on this:

My undergrad GPA is 6.4 on a scale of 10 from a Top 15 school in India. Though my GPA is highest in the final year, it doesn't follow a fixed trend. I am planning to retake my GMAT, expecting a score in the range of 710-740.

I am a professional Chess player and also a registered online chess coach. My GPA dropped due to my heavy participation heavily in Inter State and National Level Chess Tournaments. In my final year of undergrad, I was involved in my ChessBase startup, where I worked for one year after undergrad. I have even undertaken lots of activities in the Non Profit sector to spread my love for the game. Should I use these in the optional essay to mitigate my low GPA?

I am also planning to take the online course from MBAMath.com. Does this step make sense provided that I am expecting a Quant score of 50 in GMAT?

Thank you in advance.


I think you can drop the idea of taking the online course, unless you want to for other reasons. It probably won't help your profile out at all, and your time is likely better invested in working on your applications at this point.

Hope this helps!
Best,
Jon
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 48

Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 5521

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 48

Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 02:39
Vardan95 wrote:
Dear John,

I would like to know whether I have chances with GPA 3.2
My GMAT will be somewhat close to 730 with Quant 50+
I am on third year and I apply on October to Marshall Business School, Business Analytcs. Please read my brief story to understand whether I have an excuse for such a low GPA

So here is my brief story. When I entered the University (BA in Business) it all started well, but since the mid-November (1 year) I kept getting ill all the time, I lost the weight, concentration. My average temperature during that time was 37.5, but I didn't bother going to doctor. Moreover, I was so bad that I even had to skip one of my final exams and failed. The next semester nothing changed - only strange rash appeared on my skin and finally in early March I woke up and realised that I cannot move my legs and hands and I had to lie in the bed paralysed for more than 4 hours until my roommate came and called for an ambulance. It turned out that I had Vasculitis (very rare and dangerous illness) and I spent 2 weeks in the Hospital. For that reason, I performed poorly that semester and failed 2 out 4 classes. I got on probation, an event that had such a discouraging effect on me that I didn't even attend most of the classes the next semester and a half until one day I realised that it cannot continue this way so I started studying. My GPA for the last 2 semesters ( I have still 2 semesters but I apply on October) is 3.8and that is under extra pressure (I had to take 2 more classes each semester to catch up and graduate on time)

I would like to know whether my illness may be an excuse for the low GPA and whether 3.8 of Upper-Level GPA will be considered?


Well it's a good explanation for sure. It doesn't change your GPA, but if you tell them this story plus bring proof of a strong GMAT, I think you should be able to do quite well.

Best,
Jon
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Switched to business major with low previous GPA!! What do I do? rskayani 1 20 Dec 2014, 04:51
Experts publish their posts in the topic how to overcome these two application weaknesses? undecidedonmba 1 24 Sep 2013, 03:11
Experts publish their posts in the topic Will my GMAT overcome my weak GPA? divyamumbai82 1 22 Jul 2013, 01:33
Experts publish their posts in the topic Low GPA - Disclose ADHD Sparts1 1 29 Jan 2013, 10:01
Experts publish their posts in the topic Low GPA, what do you think? USquare13 1 23 Aug 2011, 22:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

So, How Do You Overcome a Low GPA?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.