Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either [#permalink] New post 19 May 2012, 06:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:39) correct 42% (00:39) wrong based on 72 sessions
The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw,paw or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebraters.

a/ the same
b/ exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e., claw,paw or foot) has been expanded and includes
c/ exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw,paw or foot) has been expanded to include
d/ exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e., claw,paw or foot) has been expanded to include
e/ exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw,paw or foot) has been expanded and includes
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1523 [0], given: 248

Re: Question from Power Prep [#permalink] New post 19 May 2012, 06:31
Expert's post
To answer this question correctly one should know the rules of SV number agreement and correlative conjunction parallelism. Before that, may I know what your wrong answer was, so that you problem could be identified and fixed

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Question from Power Prep [#permalink] New post 19 May 2012, 07:11
daagh wrote:
To answer this question correctly one should know the rules of SV number agreement and correlative conjunction parallelism. Before that, may I know what your wrong answer was, so that you problem could be identified and fixed

I thought that "list" is a collective noun similar to "team" or "government". Is it not?
I choose asnwer "b".
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1523 [3] , given: 248

Re: Question from Power Prep [#permalink] New post 19 May 2012, 09:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You are right. List is a collective noun and hence is singular and the noun goes well with its singular main verb- has been expanding. So far so good.

The prepositional object animals represented by the relative pronoun that, stands for the plural object animals and hence you should use the plural verb exhibit. Exhibit is the not the verb for the main subject list. This is the reason B is wrong.

Now you can drop A and B which use the singular verb exhibits.

Among C, D, and E, now we have to fish out for the second error of wrongful parallelism of the correlative conjunction, either -- or

In -either /or - correlative conjunction, the same structure that appears after either should appear after or also.
Only D is maintaining the correct form of parallelism as per grammar norms --either the right or the left hand

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Question from Power Prep [#permalink] New post 19 May 2012, 14:03
daagh wrote:
You are right. List is a collective noun and hence is singular and the noun goes well with its singular main verb- has been expanding. So far so good.

The prepositional object animals represented by the relative pronoun that, stands ing for the plural object animals and hence you should use the plural verb exhibit. Exhibit is the not the verb for the main subject list. This is the reason B is wrong.

Now you can drop A and B which use the singular verb exhibits.

Among C, D, and E, now we have to fish out for he second error of wrongful parallelism of the correlative conjunction, either -- or

In -either /or - correlative conjunction, the same structure that appears after either should appear after or also.
Only D is maintaining the correct form of parallelism as per grammar norms --either the right or the left hand

Thank you.
You have been very helpful.
The funny thing is that when I think I got something right and I have understand a certain rule a new question comes and kills me :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Question from Power Prep [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 09:17
Another fast way to solve such questions is to ask WHO?

In this case animals exhibit the preference not the list of animals :)
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 11

Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 20:59
balkan wrote:
The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw,paw or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebraters.

a/ the same
b/ exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e., claw,paw or foot) has been expanded and includes
c/ exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw,paw or foot) has been expanded to include
d/ exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e., claw,paw or foot) has been expanded to include
e/ exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw,paw or foot) has been expanded and includes

Another important note in the question is the placement of the essential modifier "that".
It is directly placed after animals, which is plural, and hence, it should be exhibit and not exhibits.

A and B out straight away.
E goes out for parallelism issues.

Between C and D - D is concise in saying its "either the right or the left hand"

The answer is D

You want something, go get it . Period !

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 08:49
ankit0411 wrote:
balkan wrote:

a/ the same

Another important note in the question is the placement of the essential modifier "that".
It is directly placed after animals, which is plural, and hence, it should be exhibit and not exhibits.

Between C and D - D is concise in saying its "either the right or the left hand"

The answer is D

Hi, I am confused between options C and D.
I have slightly amended the options as shown below. Now which one is better? Preference in or preference for? Many thanks for help :)

c/ exhibit a preference in using either the right or the left hand (i.e., claw,paw or foot) has been expanded to include
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 11

Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 09:29
rahulbsai wrote:
ankit0411 wrote:
balkan wrote:

a/ the same

The answer is D

I have slightly amended the options as shown below. Now which one is better? Preference in or preference for? Many thanks for help :)

c/ exhibit a preference in using either the right or the left hand (i.e., claw,paw or foot) has been expanded to include

preference in and preference for - both usages are correct

An example I found on beat the gmat was - Think of "preference in" as being "preference within". You would say "the preference in the tenth grade is to take Algebra", but "tenth graders have a preference for algebra".

You want something, go get it . Period !

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 10:01

d/ exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e., claw,paw or foot) has been expanded to include[/quote]

preference in and preference for - both usages are correct

An example I found on beat the gmat was - Think of "preference in" as being "preference within". You would say "the preference in the tenth grade is to take Algebra", but "tenth graders have a preference for algebra".[/quote]

Understand. Thanks for the examples.
Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2012, 10:01