GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 11:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the rig

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the rig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Oct 2018, 03:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:48) correct 34% (00:55) wrong based on 1663 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

A. exhibits a preference of wither using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

B. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

C. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

D. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

E. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 23: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Originally posted by soxy_topacio on 15 Mar 2007, 20:37.
Last edited by Bunuel on 16 Oct 2018, 03:29, edited 4 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the rig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2012, 09:53
You are right. List is a collective noun and hence is singular and the noun goes well with its singular main verb- has been expanding. So far so good.

The prepositional object animals represented by the relative pronoun that, stands for the plural object animals and hence you should use the plural verb exhibit. Exhibit is the not the verb for the main subject list. This is the reason B is wrong.

Now you can drop A and B which use the singular verb exhibits.

Among C, D, and E, now we have to fish out for the second error of wrongful parallelism of the correlative conjunction, either -- or

In -either /or - correlative conjunction, the same structure that appears after either should appear after or also.
Only D is maintaining the correct form of parallelism as per grammar norms --either the right or the left hand

you can know a lot about something but not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the rig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 10:18
Much like Monday's QOTD, this one has a nice idiom... that really doesn't matter. Should it be "preference of", "preference to", "preference in", "preference for", or "preference as"? Answer: who cares? We have lots of parallelism and subject-verb to deal with first.

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

Quote:
a. exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

"...list of animals that exhibits": the animals exhibit, not exhibits. Plus, the parallelism is wrong here, too: "either using... or the left hand." Eliminate (A).

Quote:
b. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

The parallelism is better, but the subject-verb agreement is still wrong. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
c. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

Same parallelism error as in (A). (C) is gone, too.

Quote:
d. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

Subject-verb looks good, and so does the parallelism. Keep (D).

Quote:
e. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

Same parallelism error as in (A) and (C). (E) is gone, and (D) is the answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2007, 00:05
that refers to animals (not list) so has to be followed by a plural noun exhibit .

list is singular so should take singular noun has

"preference for" is idiomatic.
"prefer to" - e.g. prefer X to Y - is also idiomatic
"preference to" is not idiomatic
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2011, 09:38
Another important split is the use of correct parallelism of correlative conjunction ‘either – or’
Only B and D use the correct parallelism of using ‘either the right hand or left hand.’ Then B is wrong because of ‘exhibits

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the rig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2012, 07:11
I thought that "list" is a collective noun similar to "team" or "government". Is it not?
I choose asnwer "b".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2012, 10:49
soumyaranjandash wrote:
The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

(A) exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include
(B) exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes
(C) exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include
(D) exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include
(E) exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

Why the answer is not B??
As list is collective singular noun so it should take 'exhibits'

Split it into Clauses:
1) The list of animals...........has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates. SV agrees here

2) that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot). SV agreement error. Here that refers to the plural animals. So verb should be in exhibit. Either X or Y is not properly used in this sentence. (X-using the right is not parallel to Y- the left hand)

Leading to Answer D.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2012, 10:54
Can someone explain the difference between "preference in" and "preference for".
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2012, 11:14
vivekdixit07 wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between "preference in" and "preference for".

Preference for is definitely best, you do not want to say "Preference in" would be used in a sentence such as " The preference in the office is to work for the investment group.

"Preference for", The office has a preference for donuts.

Try to realize though that animals cannot "preference in using there claws". As a native speaker its easy but I can definitley see how its confusing, hope that helps!

Thanks = +1 Kudos

Study from reliable sources!!

Thursdays with Ron: http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

Gmat Prep Questions:
CR http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatprepsc-105446.html
SC http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatprepsc-105446.html

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2012, 11:49
1. The first split : The LIST ...............has been expanded TO INCLUDE.........
Thus B n E disappears in thin air.

Left with A / C / D

2. The 2nd split : ........ Animals ( Plural ) THAT.......Exibit ( Plural Verb )
Thus A goes off

Left with C n D

3. The 3rd split : Either X.........OR.......Y

C : ...................either using the right or the left hand : Parallelism Broken

D : ...................either the right or the left hand : Parallelism Intact

Leading to D - my take
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 510 Q36 V25
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2013, 09:01
An important bunch of rules that will come in handy.. I guarantee :-D

One of the X's that/who <plural>
One of the X's <singular>
Only one of the X's <singular>
Only one of the X's that/who <plural>
The only one of the X's that/who <singular>

C D and E perfectly follows the above rule - The list of animal's that exhibit <plural>
Using POE u can easily arrive at D
Preference for - idiomatic

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2013, 04:11
to solve it i used:

The list (of animals that exhibit XXX)

has been expanded (to include XXXX).

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Intern
Intern
Schools: Goizueta '16
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 03:12
Hello All,

the sentence states :"The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

"that" is clearly referring to the list, because later the sentence states that "has been expanded to include vertebrates" and "animals" cannot expand to include some other type of animals. The list should expand.

Therefore I think that either A or B should be right.

Please someone provide further explanation.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 04:48
papua wrote:
Hello All,

the sentence states :"The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

"that" is clearly referring to the list, because later the sentence states that "has been expanded to include vertebrates" and "animals" cannot expand to include some other type of animals. The list should expand.

Therefore I think that either A or B should be right.

Please someone provide further explanation.

Hi papua,

'that' in this sentence refers to 'animals' not 'the list'. You have correctly said that 'animals' cannot be expanded so the subject for the verb 'has been expanded' should be 'the list'. On the similar lines, we can say that 'the list' cannot exhibit preference for using either the right hand or the left hand. So, the subject for the verb exhibit/exhibits should be the one that can exhibit this preference. Hence, 'that' refers to animals.

Let’s understand the structure and meaning of the sentence:

The list of animals
o that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot)
has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

MEANING

• This sentence tells us about a list of animals. This list has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.
• These animals exhibit a preference for using either the left hand or the right hand.

Note that, if ‘that’ refers to ‘the list’, then the meaning of the sentence will become the list exhibits a preference for using the left or the right hand. This does not make sense.

OPTION A

1. The singular verb ‘exhibits’ does not agree with the plural ‘that’, since ‘that’ here refers to ‘animals’.
2. ‘preference of’ is incorrect idiomatic usage.

OPTION B

1. The singular verb ‘exhibits’ does not agree with the plural ‘that’, since ‘that’ here refers to ‘animals’.
2. ‘…has been expanded and includes…. ’ does not convey the intended meaning. It should be ‘…..has been expanded to include…. ’, since the purpose of expanding the list was to include the lower vertebrates.

OPTION C

1. ‘preference in’ is incorrect idiomatic usage.
2. The structure ‘either using the right or the left hand’ is not parallel. The structure that follows ‘either’ should be similar to the structure that follows ‘or.

OPTION D

‘Preference for’ is correct usage.
‘using either the right or the left hand’ maintains parallelism.

OPTION E

1. ‘…has been expanded and includes…. ’ does not convey the intended meaning. It should be ‘…..has been expanded to include…. ’, since the purpose of expanding the list was to include the lower vertebrates.
2. ‘preference as to’ is incorrect idiomatic usage.
3. The structure ‘either using the right or the left hand’ is not parallel. The structure that follows ‘either’ should be similar to the structure that follows ‘or.

Hope this helps! :)
Manyu
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2014, 19:41
Hi, I'm have a question regarding the use of "that" and "those"

In this question, since "animals" is a plural noun, should we use "those" instead of "that".
--> The list of animals those exhibit...

I thought "that" cannot be used with plural noun. So there is no such rules, right?

Thank you very much in advance.
VP
VP
P
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2014, 22:10
wutthiyo wrote:
Hi, I'm have a question regarding the use of "that" and "those"

In this question, since "animals" is a plural noun, should we use "those" instead of "that".
--> The list of animals those exhibit...

I thought "that" cannot be used with plural noun. So there is no such rules, right?

Hi! that is actually a very versatile word in English.

Please refer to my post on another thread, where I have described the various avatars of that: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-use-of-lie-detectors-is-based-on-the-assumption-that-103736.html#p1431999

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses the various avatars of that, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 10:33
Choice D:

The list is singular and hence needs a singular verb - has been expanded

that refers to the preceding noun - animals - plural and hence we need a plural - exhibit -

Idiomatic usage - either X or Y - X and Y to be parallel

a. exhibits a preference of wither using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

- Subject-Verb agreement error & incorrect usage of the idiom - --> Correct usage would be: using either the right or the left OR either using the right or using the left -

b. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes -

- Subject-Verb agreement error and distortion of the meaning - the list has been expanded with a purpose - intention to include - here the subject "The list" has 2 verbs which is different from the intended meaning.

c. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

- incorrect usage of the idiom

d. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

- Correct Choice. Corrects all the previous error. Unambiguous meaning.

e. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

- Same error as B "and includes" and incorrect usage of the idiom
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 03:42

Here the split comes to clarity in meaning and parallelism issues.

a. exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include...Incorrect

1- 'exhibits' implies that 'the list' has 'preference' which is nonsensical meaning

2- Parallelism issue: it should be 'either using .......or using ....' or 'using either........or........'

b. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes....Incorrect

1- same meaning problem as in A

2- 'The list.......has been expanded and includes'...the structure implies that two actions in sequence while the meaning is show Why the list has been expand. It is IN ORDER TO include.

c. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include......Incorrect

1- Same parallelism issue as in A

2- It worth mentioning that 'exhibit' refers to animal which have preference. It is right meaning.

d. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include...Correct

The sentence is error- free in term of meaning and parallelism.

e. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes.......Incorrect

1- Same parallelism issue in A

2- Same problem in meaning in point 2 in B
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 05:28
GMATNinja wrote:
Much like Monday's QOTD, this one has a nice idiom... that really doesn't matter. Should it be "preference of", "preference to", "preference in", "preference for", or "preference as"? Answer: who cares? We have lots of parallelism and subject-verb to deal with first.

Quote:
a. exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

"...list of animals that exhibits": the animals exhibit, not exhibits. Plus, the parallelism is wrong here, too: "either using... or the left hand." Eliminate (A).

Hi Gmatninja,
Is not - of animals - a prepositional phrase? I did not get SV agreement at first glance.
Is not list the main subject? Also is list treated as collective noun, meaning to be always treated as plural?
Lists - forms plural form of list, correct?
WR,
Arpit.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 08:43
Top Contributor
1. The basic logic is that a list doesn't show any preference, whereas the animals can display a preference. Therefore, it is the animals that exhibit and not the list that exhibits.
2. Pl also see this difference:
A. A singular subject noun of a plural object noun only takes a singular verb. Ex: The list of animals shows lions and tigers
B. A singular subject noun of a plural object noun followed by 'that' takes a plural verb Ex: the list of animals that show aggression
The topic under question is of the B type.

Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the rig &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jun 2017, 08:43

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the rig

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap