Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [104]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [8]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 240
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Business Development (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being co [#permalink]
Kudos
A gud ques from a reliable and trusted source, I.e Veritas Prep. Was able to narrow it down to B & C but after that I was pretty not sure , although I marked one along them. Pls someone tell me that in many a lot SC ques I am narrow it down to 2 options with high level of surity but I get confused after this between these 2 options. Pls somebody ( esp this verbal forum moderators) throw some light on this and help me get over my plight , so that even one more member is able to score in the high 700's. :help2 :banana :yes
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32880 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Re: At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being co [#permalink]
Kudos
Vinitkhicha1111 wrote:
A gud ques from a reliable and trusted source, I.e Veritas Prep. Was able to narrow it down to B & C but after that I was pretty not sure , although I marked one along them. Pls someone tell me that in many a lot SC ques I am narrow it down to 2 options with high level of surity but I get confused after this between these 2 options. Pls somebody ( esp this verbal forum moderators) throw some light on this and help me get over my plight , so that even one more member is able to score in the high 700's. :help2 :banana :yes

C is wrong for two main reasons: first of all, the sentence lacks of the main verbe. When you have HAD this tense must be paired with the simple past to maintain the parallellism.

You have two actions in the past: the first one is expressed with the simple past, and the second one, which is antecedent to the same, logically comes before the first one.

Secondly: if you cut off the long modifier the sentence loses its meaning; you do have only part of the story that it wants to convey

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [4]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Good question! I think this one ultimately comes down to meaning ...

(A) At nearly 38 million dollars, one of the least costly options being considered, the delegate’s proposal was ultimately rejected not only on account of its sizable budget but also on account of its considerable risk. The subject of the sentence should be between the two modifiers. Placing two modifiers in a row makes the sentence feel awkward ... and "out of place". :)

(B) Even at nearly 38 million dollars, the delegate’s proposal was among the less costly options being considered; it was ultimately rejected not on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness.
"less costly" is incorrect. It should be "least" ... And, the second half of the sentence changes the meaning of the author's initial take. There should be two reasons why the plan was rejected, not just one.

(C) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, which was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness, had actually been one of the less costly options being considered.
this one's incorrect for similar reasons as choice B. less costly ---> should be "least" costly ... And, this version only gives one reason for the plan's rejection.

(D) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, nevertheless among the least costly options being considered, was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget, but its riskiness.
"nevertheless" is absolutely unnecessary in this sentence, and the second half of the sentence --- like choices B, C --- changes the original meaning.

(E) Ultimately rejected due not just to its sizable budget but also to its considerable risk, the delegate’s proposal, even at 38 million dollars, was one of the least costly options under consideration.
Even though this is not the prettiest of sentences, choice E is correct. At first, the first clause felt a little "clunky" during my initial read; however, the "not just...but also" construction fulfills the parallel structure rather fittingly. Also, the sentence maintains the original meaning of the author's take.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
Hey Guyz,

I understand why A,D and E are wrong and why B is correct. But, i have doubts in C, which i need some help with.

(C) The delegate’s 38-million-dollar proposal, which was ultimately not rejected on account of its sizable budget but on account of its riskiness, had actually been one of the less costly options being considered.

Many of us pointed that there are no two past actions presented and that is why 'had' is incorrectly used. I look at it differently and hence am confused. Below are the two actions that happened in past and because of which the usage of past perfect- had is warranted.

Action 1 (happened earlier in past): Being one of the less costly options
Action 2 (happened later in past): Being rejected

Therefore, a past perfect 'had' used with the earlier past action (Action 1) makes sense to me. Please correct me!

Btw, is there any other issue with C?

Do we have an OE for this?

Thanks!
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arhumsid wrote:
Hey Guyz,

I understand why A,D and E are wrong and why B is correct. But, i have doubts in C, which i need some help with.

Many of us pointed that there are no two past actions presented and that is why 'had' is incorrectly used. I look at it differently and hence am confused. Below are the two actions that happened in past and because of which the usage of past perfect- had is warranted.

Action 1 (happened earlier in past): Being one of the less costly options
Action 2 (happened later in past): Being rejected

Therefore, a past perfect 'had' used with the earlier past action (Action 1) makes sense to me. Please correct me!

Btw, is there any other issue with C?

Do we have an OE for this?

Thanks!

Action 1 (being a less costly option) did not happen before the action 2 ( being rejected). The proposal was still less costly while it was being rejected.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhirupg07 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
abhirupg07 wrote:
Very good question.. Still not convinced by the OE though. How is it correct to use "among" and "less costly" together?

Could you elaborate why would you not agree that "among" and "less costly options" could not be used together?

When we choose one from a number of distinct objects, we use "between", whereas when we choose one from a general group, we use "among".

I must choose a colour between red, blue and green...... red, blue and green are distinct choices.
I must choose a colour among those given in the shade book........ colours given the shade book is a group.

With the above logic, we may say that "less costly proposals" is a group of proposals. The delegate's proposal is one among the group. Therefore usage of "among" is appropriate here.

We use "between" when we have two distinct choices and we use "among" when we have more than two choices. To me, your example is wrong.

I must choose a colour among red, blue and green.
I must choose a colour between red and green.

And we use "less" when comparing between two choices and we use "least" when we are comparing among more than two choices.

For this particular example, are we comparing between one proposal (the least costly one) and the other group of proposals which are costlier? In that case it makes sense.

First:
The concept that "between" is used for two objects and "among" is used for more than two objects is wrong. Many people have this misconception and even certain prep books consist of this mistake. :)

I must choose a colour among red, blue and green: this sentence is grammatically incorrect.
I must choose a colour between red, blue and green: correct.
I must choose a colour between blue and green: correct.

Second:
It is perfectly alright to say:
My height is less than 50 other students of the class..... We are comparing one choice with 50 other choices. It is possible to use comparative adjective to compare one object with a group of objects.

Third:
Now let us come back to the subject question:
The delegate's proposal is one among a group of proposals (say group A). There is another group of proposals ( say group B), which are more costly than group A proposals. In this case it is perfectly alright to say that the delegate's proposal is one among the less costly proposals (i.e. group A proposals).

[Nevertheless we would preferably have a "than" along with the comparative adjective "less" ( in order to compare group A with group B).]

I would encourage you to continue this discussion if you do not agree with me. :-D
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
abhirupg07 wrote:
I agree with points 2 & 3 that you mentioned, as I had already mentioned in my previous post, and this trick makes this a very good question. As far as the distinction between "among" and "between".. maybe we should let others weigh in with their opinions.

In the mean time, I could find the following topics on the internet that would provide insight on the usages of "among" and 'between" - as per the opinion of each of the writers of the following topics, the distinction between " among" and "between" is not because of the number of choices being 2 or more, but because of having distinct choices or not - Each of the writers do agree that "between" can indeed be used for more than 2 items, if they are distinct:

https://grammar.about.com/od/alightersid ... etween.htm
https://www.espressoenglish.net/whats-th ... and-among/
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar ... n-or-among
https://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learn ... allenge46/
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/educat ... rsus-among
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [1]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Can somebody please explain why is (E) wrong? I know that (B) is gramatically correct but it is also changing the meaning and we can change the meaning of original sentence if and only if every other option has atleast 1 gramatical error. Hence, the exercise boils down to finding error in every option.
So, My issues are
1. Original sentence says that it is "one of the least costly options being considered", meaning that there may be options that are less costly than the one rejected. So, a devil's advocate would say that it can be rejected because of the budget. Therefore, (B) is not necessarily changing the meaning in the Positive direction. It is simply canging the meaning.
2. Now analyse (E) - We have an opening modifier that is correctly modifying correct noun "the delegate's proposal", which in turn is further modified by an appositive "even at thirty-eight million dollars", and finally we have the main verb of the sentence.
Structure -> Fine at the minimum and prefered by GMAT in reality because of the presence of appositive.
3. The only (possible) error that I can try to point is the usage of "Due to". I am not sure if it is correctly used here or must we use "because of". Except for this everything is fine. There are no errors in parallelism, tenses, agreement, meaning, wordiness, redundancy and punctuation.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
umg wrote:
Can somebody please explain why is (E) wrong? I know that (B) is gramatically correct but it is also changing the meaning and we can change the meaning of original sentence if and only if every other option has atleast 1 gramatical error. Hence, the exercise boils down to finding error in every option.
So, My issues are
1. Original sentence says that it is "one of the least costly options being considered", meaning that there may be options that are less costly than the one rejected. So, a devil's advocate would say that it can be rejected because of the budget. Therefore, (B) is not necessarily changing the meaning in the Positive direction. It is simply canging the meaning.
2. Now analyse (E) - We have an opening modifier that is correctly modifying correct noun "the delegate's proposal", which in turn is further modified by an appositive "even at thirty-eight million dollars", and finally we have the main verb of the sentence.
Structure -> Fine at the minimum and prefered by GMAT in reality because of the presence of appositive.
3. The only (possible) error that I can try to point is the usage of "Due to". I am not sure if it is correctly used here or must we use "because of". Except for this everything is fine. There are no errors in parallelism, tenses, agreement, meaning, wordiness, redundancy and punctuation.

You are absolutely on the right track. "Due" is an adjective and must refer to a noun (or noun phrase). Here "due to" refers to the past participle "rejected" and hence wrong. "Rejection was due to" could have been correct,but then the entire structure would have been required to be modified.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
carcass wrote:
Vinitkhicha1111 wrote:

C is wrong for two main reasons: first of all, the sentence lacks of the main verbe. When you have HAD this tense must be paired with the simple past to maintain the parallellism.

You have two actions in the past: the first one is expressed with the simple past, and the second one, which is antecedent to the same, logically comes before the first one.

Secondly: if you cut off the long modifier the sentence loses its meaning; you do have only part of the story that it wants to convey

Hope this helps

Hi,

Could you please also explain why A is wrong?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM