Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Weakenx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9694 [399]
Given Kudos: 38
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [130]
Given Kudos: 500
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 745 [85]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41 (Online)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [40]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In the 1960s, surveys of Florida's alligator population indicated that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jayarora wrote:
Hi experts,

I pre-thought of two scenarios in which the population of alligators need not have increased: 1) What if restrictions limiting the access of alligators to golf courses were eased? 2) What if people started reported spurious cases?

I believe option E is along the lines of (2). Most of the times if there were only one or two persons then it could be that these reports were 'fake'. How do I eliminate this answer choice?

Sighting of alligators is quite a rare event and even if the population increases significantly one cannot expect the cases to 'dramatically' increase

You have to be careful not to overthink an answer choice and imagine things that aren't there -- we aren't told that golf course access changed at all, or that people may have filed spurious reports.

It's possible that alligator sightings that "occurred at times at which few people were present" are less reliable than sightings where lots of people are present. If that is true then (E) might weaken the argument slightly -- but it's pretty tenuous.

However, the question asks us to find the answer choice that most seriously weakens the argument. To do this, take another look at (A):
Quote:
The human population of Florida increased significantly during the 1990s.

If the human population increased significantly, then it's likely that at least some of these sightings occurred because there are more people around to see the alligators. There don't need to be significantly more alligators -- each alligator might have been seen multiple times because there were lots more people around to see them.

(E) might weaken the argument a little, but (A) blasts a gaping hole in the author's evidence. So, (A) more seriously weakens the argument.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [26]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: In the 1960s, surveys of Florida's alligator population indicated that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I'm probably repeating things already posted in this thread, but I haven't read many replies. If an argument read "reports of Adélie penguins in Antarctica increased dramatically between 1800 and 1990, so the Adélie penguin population in Antarctica must have increased dramatically over that period", that argument would very clearly be weakened if we learned "humans first set foot on Antarctica in 1820 or 1821, and in 1990 a few thousand researchers were stationed in Antarctica". When the human population is low (or, as in this example, zero), you won't get many reports regardless of penguin population. When the human population is very high, you may get a lot of reports even about a small population, because every member of that small population might be reported (and some might be reported multiple times).

When we learn here that alligator reports increased, there are at least two competing explanations: maybe there are more alligators to report, or maybe there are more people to make reports. Answer A is a perfect answer here because it suggests an alternate explanation for the facts reported in the stem. And here I'm even ignoring other implications of A (e.g. increased human population might have destroyed natural alligator habitat, and might have led a small population of alligators to migrate to human-populated areas). I'm not sure what's tempting about E; all E suggests to me is that alligators are afraid of people. I suppose if you think this "dramatic increase" in alligator reports was, because the alligators were witnessed only by one or two people, fuelled almost entirely by erroneous reports, then E is a good answer, but that seems awfully tenuous to me.

And to maheswariviresh's concern about whether the OA to some official questions might sometimes be 'wrong': I've seen several thousand official questions (probably more than 10,000) in the many years I've been working in the GMAT field. In that time I've found exactly one official Quant question that had the wrong answer (a Statistics DS question where they neglected to consider the possibility that elements in a set might be negative). On rare occasions, I've found Verbal questions where I think two answers are justifiable, and there is a subtle difference between them that would make one preferable to the other. I've never found an official Verbal question where I'd consider the OA to be wrong, however. That makes official Verbal questions very different from prep company Verbal questions; the OA to prep co Verbal questions seems to me to be wrong about a quarter of the time, judging from the questions I read on this forum (I've very often posted replies to CR questions here pointing out issues with prep company OAs).

It's probable many test takers don't appreciate the extraordinary lengths GMAC goes to in order to ensure the quality of each test question that appears on the GMAT. Every test question undergoes an extensive editorial process, but question development doesn't stop there. Then each question is used as a purely diagnostic question on actual tests, and the response data is analyzed. If a question had an incorrect OA, they would discover it at that stage: the data would reveal that high-level test takers were mostly getting the question wrong. That can never happen with a real GMAT question, so they'd need to revisit the question, correct the issue, and use the revised version again as a diagnostic question, and only if the question had normal response patterns could they consider using it as an actual test question that counted.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [9]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
A tricky one!

A. The human population of Florida increased significantly during the 1990s.
This could probably be the reason for the increased sighting of alligators. Let’s look at the other options to see if we have a contender.

B. The hunting restrictions applied to commercial as well as private hunters.

Very much irrelevant. Was there any difference in the hunting restriction in the given period? Not sure. Eliminate.

C. The number of sightings of alligators in lakes and swamps increased greatly in Florida during the 1990s.
Only supports the conclusion that the alligator population in Florida during the 1990s increased. Eliminate.

D. Throughout the 1990s, selling alligator products was more strictly regulated than hunting was.
Irrelevant. Eliminate.

E. Most of the sightings of alligators on golf courses and lawns in the 1990s occurred at times at which few people were present on those golf courses and lawns.

Does that mean people were lying and the sightings were fake? Assumptions like these could often lead us to wrong answers. Eliminate.

Option A says that the human population of Florida increased significantly during the 1990s- More people- more sightings of alligators.
This tells us that the population of alligators has not increased but the sightings of alligators have increased because there has been an increase in the human population of Florida. Weakens the argument. Option A is correct.

Vishnupriya
GMAT Verbal SME
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [8]
Given Kudos: 57
GRE 1: Q158 V143
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. The human population of Florida increased significantly during the 1990s.- Hold. If the human population has increased than number of reportings might have increased(Alternative explanation)
B. The hunting restrictions applied to commercial as well as private hunters.- So what.....(do nothing to our argument)
C. The number of sightings of alligators in lakes and swamps increased greatly in Florida during the 1990s.(Strengthens the argument)
D. Throughout the 1990s, selling alligator products was more strictly regulated than hunting was.(Irrelevant)
E. Most of the sightings of alligators on golf courses and lawns in the 1990s occurred at times at which few people were present on those golf courses and lawns- too general statement. Neither strengthens nor weakens the argument
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [6]
Given Kudos: 143
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
In the 1960s, surveys of Florida's alligator population indicated that the population was dwindling rapidly. Hunting alligators was banned. By the early 1990s, the alligator population had recovered, and restricted hunting was allowed. Over the course of the 1990s, reports of alligators appearing on golf courses and lawns increased dramatically. Therefore, in spite of whatever alligator hunting went on, the alligator population must have increased significantly over the decade of the 1990s.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. The human population of Florida increased significantly during the 1990s.
B. The hunting restrictions applied to commercial as well as private hunters.
C. The number of sightings of alligators in lakes and swamps increased greatly in Florida during the 1990s.
D. Throughout the 1990s, selling alligator products was more strictly regulated than hunting was.
E. Most of the sightings of alligators on golf courses and lawns in the 1990s occurred at times at which few people were present on those golf courses and lawns.

Hello guys!
I hope my explanation suffices your understanding!

Initially, I eliminated A, but understood that it was a trap.
Eliminate B as it is irrelevant.
Eliminate C as it is out of scope.
Option D is also a trap as it indirectly tells you that not selling the products would lead to a hold in the hunting. But it does not fulfil our purpose.
Option E is specific to a scenario and does not look at it on a whole.

Option A clearly weakens the statement as the human population saw a surge and it led to such a scenario.

Official Answer:- Option A

Thank you!

Regards,
Raunak Damle!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [3]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Kudos
Hi experts,

I pre-thought of two scenarios in which the population of alligators need not have increased: 1) What if restrictions limiting the access of alligators to golf courses were eased? 2) What if people started reported spurious cases?

I believe option E is along the lines of (2). Most of the times if there were only one or two persons then it could be that these reports were 'fake'. How do I eliminate this answer choice?

Sighting of alligators is quite a rare event and even if the population increases significantly one cannot expect the cases to 'dramatically' increase
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [4]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Don't know if this is good enough since two of the great experts in the forum have already replied.

In the 1960s, surveys of Florida's alligator population indicated that the population was dwindling rapidly. Hunting alligators was banned. By the early 1990s, the alligator population had recovered, and restricted hunting was allowed. Over the course of the 1990s, reports of alligators appearing on golf courses and lawns increased dramatically. Therefore, in spite of whatever alligator hunting went on, the alligator population must have increased significantly over the decade of the 1990s.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

Crux of the argument: Surveys in 1960s indicated dwindling alligator problems thus hunting was banned. In early 1990s the alligators populations increased and hunting with restrictions was allowed. But in the 1990s the human-alligator encounters increased as more and alligators were reported appearing on golf courses and lawns. Author concludes that, although alligator hunting was there, the population of alligators kept increased.

Here, author basically theorizes that witnessing alligators in people's lawns and golf courses is sign of increase in alligator population. So, there's a casual relationship between humans and alligators as author sees it. Strengthener would be something that supports author's reasoning. But the argument can be weakened in two ways:
1. Something else caused/led those alligators to go to people's lawns and golf courses. May be they had a gold rush moment and wanted to join exclusive golf clubs :blushing: :lol:
2. Not alligators but people entered the alligators' territories. This has tow sub-cases btw
- Alligators population decreased
- Alligators population remained at same level at it was in early 1990s.

At this point it would look easy to just glance at the right answer but just check other options before looking at the right one.

A. The human population of Florida increased significantly during the 1990s. - CORRECT. This looks neutral to initially, if someone has not figured out yet what is the possible relationship between humans and alligators. From a causality point authors says seeing alligators in people's lawns and golf clubs is a signal that their population has increased i.e. X ----> Y but its the other way round Y ----> X as suggested in this option. A Venn diagram concept may help us here to understand. The common part of the two circles is the golf course and lawns. Either alligators increased that area(strengthener) or the humans increased it(weakener)[Though subconsciously i feel this is the worst example/concept application i have ever thought :| :cool: ]

B. The hunting restrictions applied to commercial as well as private hunters. - WRONG. So what if it did, it doesn't impact the conclusion. There's no relationship here neither suggested.

C. The number of sightings of alligators in lakes and swamps increased greatly in Florida during the 1990s. - WRONG. So the expanse of alligators sightings increases. Wow it strengthens the argument which is opposite to what we are looking for.

D. Throughout the 1990s, selling alligator products was more strictly regulated than hunting was. - WRONG. More the products, more the hunting. Here the situation is restricted hunting ---> regulated products. Again strengthens the argument.

E. Most of the sightings of alligators on golf courses and lawns in the 1990s occurred at times at which few people were present on those golf courses and lawns. - WRONG. This is the closest to being a correct answer. But if people are not present on those golf courses and lawns, are the alligators not there. No, this is not the case alligators are still there - either with increased or decreased population. Its a neutral case as far as i see.

A short note: Initially, I fell for the contrast brought by the author to solidify his/her argument. I almost thought that because author in his/her conclusion uses "in spite of whatever alligator hunting went on" to stress upon the hunting part, hunting was without restrictions. Many of us might do so but its not - hunting's still restricted.

Also, had even one of the pre-thinking points of jayarora been there in the five choices, the questions would have been more difficult since it would have fit our point 1 of weakener as above.

IMO Answer A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [3]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
MentorTutoring wrote:
jayarora wrote:
Hi experts,

Hello, jayarora. You ask a fair question. Speaking to the strategy of pre-thinking, I find it mildly useful. In some questions, pre-thinking can help me get the answer spot-on, before I even encounter the answer choices; in others, I can pre-think up a storm and find no corresponding answers. Because it is difficult to predict whether any given question will fall into Camp A or Camp B, I typically bypass pre-thinking and engage directly with the question, then the passage, then each answer choice, making sure the option I choose has firm grounding in the text and answers the question being asked.

About your second scenario above, I will say that I used to think along similar lines, but after working through plenty of questions on my own and helping students with others, I have come to appreciate that the only information you can take as gospel is that which is presented in the passage. Even if the argument or conclusion is wayward, the information on which that argument may be based should not be taken as untruthful or doubtful. In fact, GMAC™ even speaks to this point in the OG in the Critical Reasoning chapter:

4. To test reasoning, try to imagine scenarios where the premises are true and the conclusion false.

Many critical reasoning questions will require you to evaluate the soundness of the reasoning presented in a passage. To evaluate reasoning, you do not need to decide whether premises or conclusions are actually true. Determining actual truth is beyond the scope of the test: no test-taker could determine the truth or falsity of every assertion present in critical reasoning passages. Moreover, many critical reasoning passages refer to fictional scenarios. Normally, in evaluating a piece of reasoning, you should try to
imagine a situation in which the premises would all be true with the conclusion false. If such a situation would be very unlikely to occur, then the reasoning is strong. On the other hand, if such a situation could likely occur, then the reasoning is poor.

In the question at hand, the passage tells us that reports of alligators appearing on golf courses and lawns increased dramatically--a premise. Regardless, then, of whether few or many people were present on those golf courses or lawns at the time of most of the sightings, we are meant to take the premise at face value and accept it as a truth, rather than question that those people could be goofballs or on drugs or some such. In choice (A), we are to understand that if the human population of Florida increased significantly during the 1990s (my emphases), then it would make sense that the number of reported sightings might also logically increase, regardless of whether the alligator population had increased significantly. Sometimes the GMAT™ bends over backwards to qualify what ends up being the correct answer--notice how increased significantly in (A) perfectly parallels the last line of the passage. When you spot such adverbial qualifiers in answer choices, you should pause before you get rid of these answer choices. (The qualifier could be pointing you in the right direction.)

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew

I went down a similar pre-thinking route as jayarora and ended up marking E. My memory of another official CR question from OG2020 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/farmer-sever ... 94365.html - might as well have played a role in my marking E.

MentorTutoring
Regarding the part I highlighted in red, what's the fundamental difference between the premises of this CR question and the one I cited above, in terms of whether or not to accept it as truth and not doubt those people who claimed/reported the respective sightings?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [9]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos