Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2208 [61]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [9]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2208 [8]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [16]
Given Kudos: 1608
Send PM
Re: Unpredictability of the monsoon, unusual, spatial and temporal [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. Unpredictability of the moonsoon, unusual spatial and temporal distribution of rainfall over the four month period, drought-like conditions in some areas and excessive rainfall in others, and the possible impact of global warming has, in the past, given rise to questions frequently about whether or not we are witnessing permanent or quasi permanent changes in monsoon behaviour.
Incorrect
Subject verb agreement error - has does not agree with the multiple subjects

B. Unpredictability of the monsoon, unusual spatial and temporal distribution of rainfall along the four month period, drought-like conditions in some areas and excessive rainfall in others, and the possible impact of global warming have, in the past, given rise to questions frequently about whether or not we are witnessing permanent or quasi permanent changes in monsoon behaviour.
Incorrect
along the four month period is not right

C. Unpredictability of the monsoon, unusual spatial and temporal distribution of rainfall over the four month period, drought-like conditions in some areas and excessive rainfall in others, and the possible impact of global warming, have, in the past, given rise frequently to questions about whether or not we are witnessing permanent or quasi permanent changes in monsoon behaviour.
Correct

D. Unpredictability of the monsoon, spatial and temporal distribution of unusual rainfall over the four month period, drought-like conditions in some areas and excessive rainfall in other, and the possible impact of global warming, have, in the past, given rise frequently to questions about whether or not we are witnessing permanent or quasi permanent changes in monsoon behaviour.
Incorrect
unusual should be placed with spatial

E. Unpredictability of the monsoon, unusual spatial and temporal distribution of rainfall over the four month period, drought-like conditions in some areas and excessive rainfall in others, and the possible impact of global warming, have in the past, given rise to frequent questions of whether or not we are witnessing permanent or quasi permanent changes, in monsoon behaviour.
Incorrect
if it a question of whether or not we are witnessing.... then using questions is wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [5]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Same IMO should be C, way more logical especially with the placement of "unusual" which respects the original meaning of the first sentence. The placement of "unusual" in D modifies the intendent meaning of the 1st sentence and we could understand that the the rainfalls are unusual. But it's not the original meaning which is that the distribution of the rainfall is unusual, not the rainfall in itself. Makes no sense to pick D over C.

GMATNinja could you please explain why it's D ? it's weird
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 445 [0]
Given Kudos: 725
Schools: NUS '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Arthurito wrote:
Same IMO should be C, way more logical especially with the placement of "unusual" which respects the original meaning of the first sentence. The placement of "unusual" in D modifies the intendent meaning of the 1st sentence and we could understand that the the rainfalls are unusual. But it's not the original meaning which is that the distribution of the rainfall is unusual, not the rainfall in itself. Makes no sense to pick D over C.

Well, there is no "original" meaning that we're trying to preserve, but I'm with you here -- I don't see why it's any more logical to describe the rainfall itself as "unusual" than to describe the spacial distribution of the rainfall that way. So I wouldn't lose any sleep over this one. In an official question, one option would have to be clearer or more logical than the other. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

So two takeaways:

1) It's fine if the answer you select has a different meaning than (A), so long as that answer is better
    2) Try to rely on official questions. Otherwise, you end up agonizing over the kind of decision points you'd never actually see in the exam.

I hope that helps a bit!

In continuation to what you said, I would like to add that I couldn't help but observe a "whether or not" present in all the answer choices.

I generally use this as an elimination point on SC questions but now I am slightly confused as to whether I have formed an incorrect (and just lucky so far) elimination criteria basis "whether or not"?

What is GMAT's stand on this Charles, could you please share some insights? Are there any official questions where such usage is accepted?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kungfury42 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Arthurito wrote:

Well, there is no "original" meaning that we're trying to preserve, but I'm with you here -- I don't see why it's any more logical to describe the rainfall itself as "unusual" than to describe the spacial distribution of the rainfall that way. So I wouldn't lose any sleep over this one. In an official question, one option would have to be clearer or more logical than the other. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

So two takeaways:

1) It's fine if the answer you select has a different meaning than (A), so long as that answer is better
    2) Try to rely on official questions. Otherwise, you end up agonizing over the kind of decision points you'd never actually see in the exam.

I hope that helps a bit!

In continuation to what you said, I would like to add that I couldn't help but observe a "whether or not" present in all the answer choices.

I generally use this as an elimination point on SC questions but now I am slightly confused as to whether I have formed an incorrect (and just lucky so far) elimination criteria basis "whether or not"?

What is GMAT's stand on this Charles, could you please share some insights? Are there any official questions where such usage is accepted?

Great observation: we've never seen "whether or not" in an OA. As explained in this post, “whether or not” is apparently considered redundant on the GMAT. “Whether” is enough, and the “or not” is just a waste of words.

But it's worth repeating the disclaimer we wrote in this post: the moment we think we've uncovered a "rule," the GMAT tends to put us in our place. :)

If you see "whether or not," you've probably found an incorrect choice. But blindly eliminating something the moment you spot "whether or not" probably isn't a great idea -- read your options carefully, and hopefully there will be other clues to support eliminating options in which "whether or not" appears.

I hope that helps a bit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 134
Schools: ESSEC MiM "24
Send PM
Kudos
in option D, isnt the the word "other" wrong?
Shouldnt it be "others"?

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
banker08 wrote:
in option D, isnt the the word "other" wrong?
Shouldnt it be "others"?

Hello banker08,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, you are correct; Option D needs to use the plural pronoun "others" to refer to the plural noun "areas"; this is most likely a transcription error.

We hope this helps.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
kungfury42 wrote:

Given the busy schedule of GMATNinja, I am not sure if he will be prompt to reply to your query. Here are my two cents, instead. "Whether or not" is not wrong. Period. It's just that the part ("or not") after "whether" is not necessary. So, just "whether" alone stands concise and enough. But, if you club it with "or not", it does not make the sentence wrong solely on that basis. So, as Charles would say, " Do not make rules in SC that might bite you back if followed blindly".
You will always get another definite error to eliminate an answer choice. So, you do not need to keep this "whether or not" rule in your POE analysis.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
AjiteshArun GMATNinja mikemcgarry
Can you please share your thoughts on why it should be C over D?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Metalking wrote:

Hi Metalking,

I think both C and D are incorrect. That said, if I absolutely had to choose between those two options, I would go for C.

Abhi077 wrote:
C. Unpredictability of the monsoon, unusual spatial and temporal distribution of rainfall over the four month period, drought-like conditions in some areas and excessive rainfall in others, and the possible impact of global warming, have, in the past, given rise frequently to questions about whether or not we are witnessing permanent or quasi permanent changes in monsoon behaviour..

Ignoring the other issues in this option, unusual spatial and temporal distribution of rainfall seems to be okay.

Abhi077 wrote:
D. Unpredictability of the monsoon, spatial and temporal distribution of unusual rainfall over the four month period, drought-like conditions in some areas and excessive rainfall in other, and the possible impact of global warming, have, in the past, given rise frequently to questions about whether or not we are witnessing permanent or quasi permanent changes in monsoon behaviour.

I don't think I've ever heard something like spatial and temporal distribution of unusual rainfall before. Moreover, if the rainfall itself is unusual, surely that's enough? Why would we add something about the distribution of something unusual if the distribution isn't surprising? That said, as GMATNinja points out, it's hard to be absolutely sure that this isn't the intended meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Metalking wrote:

Hi Metalking,

I think both C and D are incorrect. That said, if I absolutely had to choose between those two options, I would go for C.

Abhi077 wrote:
C. Unpredictability of the monsoon, unusual spatial and temporal distribution of rainfall over the four month period, drought-like conditions in some areas and excessive rainfall in others, and the possible impact of global warming, have, in the past, given rise frequently to questions about whether or not we are witnessing permanent or quasi permanent changes in monsoon behaviour..

Ignoring the other issues in this option, unusual spatial and temporal distribution of rainfall seems to be okay.

Abhi077 wrote:

I don't think I've ever heard something like spatial and temporal distribution of unusual rainfall before. Moreover, if the rainfall itself is unusual, surely that's enough? Why would we add something about the distribution of something unusual if the distribution isn't surprising? That said, as GMATNinja points out, it's hard to be absolutely sure that this isn't the intended meaning.

Are options C and D grammatically incorrect? AjiteshArun
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Metalking wrote:
Are options C and D grammatically incorrect? AjiteshArun

Hi Metalking,

I'm not sure how the company or individual who made this question looks at this issue, but if we focus on the comma before have, we can see one of the problems in that option:

Abhi077 wrote:
C. Unpredictability of the monsoon, unusual spatial and temporal distribution of rainfall over the four month period, drought-like conditions in some areas and excessive rainfall in others, and the possible impact of global warming, have, in the past, given rise frequently to questions about whether or not we are witnessing permanent or quasi permanent changes in monsoon behaviour.

The structure is {A, B, C, and D, have}. Or, in other words, {subject, verb}. This is unexpected. Also, we can't ignore the other issue ("drought-like conditions in some areas and excessive rainfall in other, and the possible impact") in the correct(?) option. Moreover, option A isn't the same as the underlined portion (just from a quick glance, as I still haven't read the entire question).

It's possible that most people who attempt this question immediately remove the "correct" option, D, because of "rainfall in other", and that's why this question has a "95% (hard)" rating. It'd be good to go through the OE for this question, but I'm fairly confident that D is not the best answer here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Dear GMATNinja
Please help to explain why is C wrong here.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
NCC wrote:
Dear GMATNinja

Frankly, I wouldn't fret over this question. The explanation that 'C' is wrong due to the placement of 'unusual' doesn't cut it for me. I see no reason why the rainfall must be unusual, and why the distribution of rainfall cannot be unusual.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
NCC wrote:
Dear GMATNinja

That's the problem with this question: (C) doesn't really seem to be any worse than (D). Check out this post for more on this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
How is " drought like conditions in some areas and excessive rainfall in other" right? It should have been "others" in option D.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts