Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [232]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [65]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [14]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Until 1868 and Disraeli, Great Britain had no prime ministers not comi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
mono wrote:
Until 1868 and Disraeli, Great Britain had no prime ministers not coming from a landed family.

(A) Until 1868 and Disraeli, Great Britain had no prime ministers not coming

(B) Until 1868 and Disraeli, Great Britain had no prime ministers who have not come

(C) Until Disraeli in 1868, there were no prime ministers in Great Britain who have not come

(D) It was not until 1868 that Great Britain had a prime minister—Disraeli—who did not come

(E) It was only in 1868 and Disraeli that Great Britain had one of its prime ministers not coming

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning is that in 1868, for the first time, Great Britain had a prime minister who did not come from a landed family, and this prime minister was Disraeli.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses

• The simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.
• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "Until 1868 and Disraeli"; the use of "until" to refer to a person - "Disraeli" - rather than a point in time leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that in 1868, for the first time, Great Britain had a prime minister who did not come from a landed family, and this prime minister was Disraeli. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb + ing") phrase "not coming" to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "Until 1868 and Disraeli"; the use of "until" to refer to a person - "Disraeli" - rather than a point in time leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that in 1868, for the first time, Great Britain had a prime minister who did not come from a landed family, and this prime minister was Disraeli. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb "have not come" to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to an action that concluded in the past, and the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "Until Disraeli in 1868"; the use of "until" to refer to a person - "Disraeli" - rather than a point in time leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that in 1868, for the first time, Great Britain had a prime minister who did not come from a landed family, and this prime minister was Disraeli. Further, Option C incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb "have not come" to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to an action that concluded in the past, and the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.

D: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "It was not until 1868" and modifies "a prime minister" with "Disraeli", conveying the intended meaning - that in 1868, for the first time, Great Britain had a prime minister who did not come from a landed family, and this prime minister was Disraeli. Further, Option D correctly uses the simple past tense verb "did not come" to refer to an action that concluded in the past.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "It was only in 1868 and Disraeli"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that in 1868, for the first time, Great Britain had a prime minister who did not come from a landed family, and this prime minister was Disraeli. Further, Option E incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb + ing" - "coming" in this case) to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Until 1868 and Disraeli, Great Britain had no prime ministers not comi [#permalink]
Kudos
A: double negation
B: double negation + tense issue
C: tense issue
D: fine
E: wrong meaning (although technically correct) in parallelism (in 1868 and (in) Disraeli)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Until 1868 and Disraeli, Great Britain had no prime minister not coming from a landed family.

A. Until 1868 and Disraeli, Great Britain had no prime minister not coming - until is used in the context of time ;The phrase …no prime minister not coming from… is confusing, as it doesn’t clearly convey the intended meaning that before Disraeli, all prime ministers of Great Britain came from landed families.
B. Until 1868 and Disraeli, Great Britain has had not prime minister who has not come -Use of past perfect tense verb had had is incorrect because the sentence talks about an event that took place till a certain point in time in the past.
C. Until Disraeli in 1868, Great Britain had no prime minister who has not come - same idiom error as in A and B ;
D. It was not until 1868 that Great Britain had a prime minister-Disraeli-who did not come - Correct
E. It was only 1868 and Disraeli that Great Britain has one of its prime minister not coming. - Illogical meaning - Disraeli in this choice appears to be a place and not a person.

Answer D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [2]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
saswata4s wrote:
Until 1868 and Disraeli, Great Britain had no prime ministers not coming from a landed family.

A. Until 1868 and Disraeli, Great Britain had no prime ministers not coming
B. Until 1868 and Disraeli, Great Britain had had no prime ministers who have not come
C. Until Disraeli in 1868, there were no prime ministers in Great Britain who have not come
D. It was not until 1868 that Great Britain had a prime minister - Disraeli - who did not come
E. It was only in 1868 and Disraeli that Great Britain had one of its prime ministers not coming

The answer is a straight D. Herein lies the problem : When I'm trying to explain the errors to other members here, I'm unable to articulate them and that points me to having a gap in my understanding.

In A and B for e.g., The usage of until seems to be incorrect. Whatever follows until denotes a point in time, but Disraeli doesn't.
C has the relation pronoun modifier issue i.e. who seems to be modifying Great Britain.
E again is combining a year and Disraeli and that makes no sense.

SO we're left with D as the answer, but since my articulation of the errors is glossy at best, can an expert help with dissecting the sentences?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Could someone clarify if my following understanding is correct:
D. It was not until 1868 that Great Britain had a prime minister - Disraeli - who did not come

"had" here is "simple past" of has and is not "past perfect"?
Disraeli became PM "after" 1868 (not before it) and therefore past perfect is not correct here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Can someone explain why C is wrong?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [4]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos