Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Wharton 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
1. On an average how many "associates/business analysts" from McK/Bain/BCG enter Wharton each year?

2. Considering that getting a MBA is a must to be on the partner track at each of these consulting firms, how important is the candidate's "story" within this applicant pool?

3. Since most of the BAs/Associates are working very long hours at the top consulting firms, there is hardly any time left for any community service/NGO type activity. Will the admissions committee keep this in mind while evaluating a candidates application?

Thank you very much!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
staind wrote:

Chaolien, in my opinion, since you've crossed the 700 mark in the GMAT you don't need to worry about the individual percentiles - you've shown you will be able to handle the level of academic rigor at Wharton and you can offset the slightly lower verbal percentile by many other factors such as writing strong essays, suggesting your recommenders to emphasize on your communication skills and doing well on any potential interview - since you've already scored 700+ and done well on your TOEFL I think your remaining time could be better spent on doing more research on your target schools and writing the best possible essays.[/quote]

Thank you Staind.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
LSEguy wrote:
1. On an average how many "associates/business analysts" from McK/Bain/BCG enter Wharton each year?

2. Considering that getting a MBA is a must to be on the partner track at each of these consulting firms, how important is the candidate's "story" within this applicant pool?

3. Since most of the BAs/Associates are working very long hours at the top consulting firms, there is hardly any time left for any community service/NGO type activity. Will the admissions committee keep this in mind while evaluating a candidates application?

Thank you very much!

I'm not in consulting, but from what I've read most consulting firms offer their services to non-profits and NGOs either free of charge or at a very steep discount. I'm sure that involvement in some of these cases would be looked at the same way.

A good friend of mine is an HBS alum who worked in IB prior to matriculation. He worked ridiculous hours but was still able to show community involvement through our university's alumni association and a scholarship fund he'd created at his church. While he wasn't able to devote 8-10 hours a month mentoring kids, feeding the homeless, or building HFH homes he was able to establish something with impact that pretty much ran itself and only called for him to secure donors, which takes minimal time and can be done via telephone and email. Just a thought.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Has the school released essay questions yet? if not, usually when adcom starts to post the questions?

Thanks ahead
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
pingeatlemon wrote:
Has the school released essay questions yet? if not, usually when adcom starts to post the questions?

Thanks ahead

Actially not. Here is the link to the Fall 2010 questions. Last year those were published in June, I suppose you'll see new ones in the nearest future.

https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admiss ... harton.cfm
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.76
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
In for R1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
LSEguy wrote:

Thank you very much!

I'm not in consulting, but from what I've read most consulting firms offer their services to non-profits and NGOs either free of charge or at a very steep discount. I'm sure that involvement in some of these cases would be looked at the same way.

A good friend of mine is an HBS alum who worked in IB prior to matriculation. He worked ridiculous hours but was still able to show community involvement through our university's alumni association and a scholarship fund he'd created at his church. While he wasn't able to devote 8-10 hours a month mentoring kids, feeding the homeless, or building HFH homes he was able to establish something with impact that pretty much ran itself and only called for him to secure donors, which takes minimal time and can be done via telephone and email. Just a thought.

It was prior or after HBS graduating? I'm asking this since I have kinda the same level of involvement in this activity
VP
VP
Send PM
Izvos wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
LSEguy wrote:

Thank you very much!

It was prior or after HBS graduating? I'm asking this since I have kinda the same level of involvement in this activity

This was prior to applying to HBS. He graduated in 2008. As far as I know the scholarship program is still going on today.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Count me in R2, retaking GMAT.

Reapplicant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Wharton/Lauder, Kellogg
Send PM
I'm in too. R2 Wharton/Lauder reapplicant after agonizing on the waitlist for 2+ deadlines

Ready to rock it out second time around
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS, Wharton, Stanford, Chicago
 Q42  V49
GPA: 3.56
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Entrepreneur
Send PM
I'm in for R1. :-D

Profile:

Work:
- Former McKinsey BA
- Currently running a start-up consulting firm as VP (one of a 2 member mgmt team)
GMAT: 740
Undergrad: Michigan engineering, GPA 3.56

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
As my hero the Terminator once said, "I'll be back".

I was rejected off the class of 2011 Summer waitlist and now I'm coming back with full force for R1 , class of 2012.

Good luck to all.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
kookie wrote:
As my hero the Terminator once said, "I'll be back".

I was rejected off the class of 2011 Summer waitlist and now I'm coming back with full force for R1 , class of 2012.

Good luck to all.

Class of 2012 means year of graduation.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Kudos
Good luck to everyone! PM me if you need help with defining your application strategy (do you have one at all?)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Fall 2012 Essays have been posted:

Essays
• First-time applicants and reapplicants are required to complete the same set of essay questions.

REQUIRED QUESTION:
What are your professional objectives?

RESPOND TO 2 OF THE FOLLOWING 3 QUESTIONS:
1. Reflect on a time when you turned down an opportunity. What was the thought process behind your decision? Would you make the same decision today?

2. Discuss a time when you faced a challenging interpersonal experience. How did you navigate the situation and what did you learn from it?

3. "Innovation is central to our culture at Wharton. It is a mentality that must encompass every aspect of the School - whether faculty research, teaching or alumni outreach." - Thomas S. Robertson, Dean, The Wharton School

Keeping this component of our culture in mind, discuss a time when you have been innovative in your personal or professional life.

It doesn't look like the application has gone live, however.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
tfincham86 wrote:

Essays
• First-time applicants and reapplicants are required to complete the same set of essay questions.

REQUIRED QUESTION:

1. Reflect on a time when you turned down an opportunity. What was the thought process behind your decision? Would you make the same decision today?

2. Discuss a time when you faced a challenging interpersonal experience. How did you navigate the situation and what did you learn from it?

3. "Innovation is central to our culture at Wharton. It is a mentality that must encompass every aspect of the School - whether faculty research, teaching or alumni outreach." - Thomas S. Robertson, Dean, The Wharton School

Keeping this component of our culture in mind, discuss a time when you have been innovative in your personal or professional life.

Interesting.. quite some changes from last year.. good luck!
VP
VP
Send PM
tfincham86 wrote:

Essays

REQUIRED QUESTION:

I wanted the "create a new class" question from last year to be repeated. DARN!! I had a great idea for that essay.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts